Loss of Ovaries - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Loss of Ovaries Loss of Ovaries

Unread 03-25-2005, 01:32 PM
In Reply

I am not sure why they did not remove the cyst at the time of surgery. I know that I have had a number of ovarian cysts in the past and have had free fluid found a number of times by ultrasound also. I don't know that anyone has ever really put all of this together as I have always had other concerns that had to be addressed first, or surgically. The connection between the pain I am having now, the ultrasound findings over time, and the findings of the recent surgery now link together a bit different. The cyst in the surgery was presumed to be a corpus leuteum and the conclusion was made I was likely ovulating at the time of surgery (according to the doctor on call today). But my surgeon didn't allude to that, she thought upon ultrasound just done this week that it was then I was ovulating. I don't know, as they both seem to be saying something different. In terms of not removing the cyst at the time I can't be sure. The surgery was for a very defined purpose and was a first for my doctor (this particular procedure). It carried with it a lot of risk, so perhaps my surgeon felt that was the focus and all that she could concentrate on at the time. I hope that when my doctor comes back all of this will make more sense. Perhaps another operation will not even come to be if the medicine I have just started works in shrinking the ovarian cyst. That would sure be wonderful! I am going to hold on to that hope.

Blessings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2005, 02:00 PM
blessings

When your own dr returns from holiday, please be sure to tell him/her about your negative experience with the on call dr. I had a similar experience - in my case the on-call dr seemed put out that I bothered him, hastily prescribed an antibiotic for what turned out not to be bacterial, then never informed my own dr about the call and treatment.

I guess if it were me, I would also wait until my own dr returned. I would also call her office and get on her schedule for the first day back. cj
Unread 03-25-2005, 02:17 PM
lose or keep ovaries

I forgot to mention ovaries - I had one removed 24 years ago due to a large cyst - also took fallopian tube and a pedunculated fibroid (a pedunculated tumor goes outside the uterus on a stalk or stem). I did just great with one ovary for all these years, including bearing a child (got pregnant on the first try!). Now I'm 47, can't remember which ovary was removed, and no one can agree on which is left by the ultrasounds, because there is so much "unauthorized growth" we can't tell what we're looking at. In fact, one technician told me I had both ovaries! I assured her that ovaries don't grow back, and if I have both of them, I want my money back for the surgery!

Anyway, the point is, I was able to cruise along for almost a quarter of a century with one functional ovary. I will have it removed in two weeks, but if there's a chance you'll get good use of one for even a few years, you should consider keeping it. Good luck, hon. cj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Loss of Ovaries

(((blessings))))

I am so sorry that you have been going through so much here recently. First about my ovary story and then I will get to the oncall doc. When I had my TAH for endo, right before surgery, I told my GYN to take both ovaries, just get it done and over with, he said that he will save what he can due to my age (I was 37)...he ended up removing the right one because it was too much endo to try and burn off..he burned off a few places on left ovary. Over the next 3 weeks my pain increased beyond belief..they did u/s and it showed a "mass" on the left side that could also be felt my vaginal with rectal exam. So laparotomy was done 3 weeks after TAH/RSO. Found that the mass next to my vagina was actually my left ovary and tube that had balled up and was covered with adhesions and stuck to the vaginal wall. So he removed that and adhesions. Before surgery we talked about HRT and I told him that I wanted a patch and the lowest dose possible that I could handle. He put patch on in recovery room and I had the worst hotflash on record (imo) that lasted for 3 days cause the patch needed time to work. I am on the next to the lowest dose and I have an average of 2-3 hotflashes per month--I can live with that..I would rather deal with those than increase my estrogen. There was info on this recently and the studies show that you should be on the lowest dose possible that is comfortable for you to decrease your chances of breast cancer and heart disease. I see in my practice that, that is not always the case. Almost every postmenopausal woman that I came in contact with was on Premarin 0.625mg. HRT should be a tailored script, not cookie cutter.
Now about the oncall doc. She was so wrong for treating you that way..your doc told you to do exactly what you did. I do not feel that your doc will be upset with you and will more than likely side with you on this situation. I agree that you should probably wait to see her, but if something else comes up or the symptoms get worse, you really should call this doc back. She had no right to do that to you and your doc needs to be made aware of this. You were only doing what you were told to do...and this really burns my butt---the docs work for us, we do not work for them, and yet some of them treat us like were are their children who have done something wrong or we are bothering them...hello? that is what happens when you are on call. Do not let this doc make you feel bad for calling--don't let her get to you like that. Please keep us updated on how things are going and I pray that the medicine works.
Unread 03-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Update

Well with the passing of the days things are not improving despite trying hard to keep hopeful. It is hard to know how much is too much in terms of the pain. Some say that ovarian cysts can be very painful and others, like the doctor with whom I spoke yesterday, seem to think that pain to this level is just to be expected and nothing to worry about. I do really understand and value the opportunity to try Provera and that it may work in shrinking my cyst. I don't want to look back and think that I didn't try the options that were before me should it come to surgery. I am very much is agreement with my surgeon in that. But sometimes I wonder what is reasonable in terms of waiting, as the pain is a certain challenge. What happened with the on-call doctor was disconcerting, but I have to look ahead and take care of myself. I certainly would not have bothered her if I didn't think the onset of bleeding was important. And now with the pain continuing as it is I feel somewhat helpless in terms of what to do. Yet I know that I am not. I just have to gather up the strength and courage to advocate for myself. It isn't easy to keep having to do that, but I know there is no other way. I know that if my doctor were not away she would be concerned that this is going on so long. But she isn't here so I have to travel an unfamiliar road and that's hard. I am trying to learn all that I can and to prepare to be the advocate of my health that I am called to be right now.

Blessings
Unread 03-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Loss of Ovaries

I had a hysterectomy about 10 years ago, not a big deal. Had both ovaries removed about 18 months ago, and have regreted it almost every day since.

Here is my biggest complaint. Sexual pleasure is almost gone. Forget about all the "loss of libedo" hard to have any when there is no pleasure.

I dont know what to do about the pain, but I don know that while I had pain before I also had pleasure. Now at 42 I am looking forward to the rest of my life without something that was very wonderful. So far none of the HRT tried has made much of a difference in this area. Hot Flashes are the least of my complaints!

I would ask my doctor about this and at least have him take bloodwork before surgury so that you would know what 'normal" is for you.
Unread 03-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Loss of Ovaries

Blessings,

I'm very sorry you'e had this experience but want to ask you to consider something when you next talk to your doctor or a doctor on call.

You or your insurance is paying for this service on your behalf. In essence, you are contracting with this group of doctors. Being on call is part of the service they provide. There is no pedestal here ... YOU are either personally paying THEM or through your insurance agent.

Just think, would you accept such service from any other provider? Probably not.

I write this with the hope of helping you shift the power. Yes, they have knowledge and information we don't have. So do computer technicians, plumbers, landscapers, roofers ... and the list goes on. Just remember that in one way or another, YOU are paying the bill and insist on service that recognizes that fact.

There is another great thread on this forum about many of us that have had a BSO ... with incredible success so far. It's too late tonight but I'll try to find it later. Seems it might have been under the polling topic if you want to look.
Unread 03-28-2005, 10:47 AM
Loss of Ovaries

Blessings:

Sending a from a sister also faced with the BSO decision. I'll keep you in my and if you have room on your list, please include me.
Unread 03-29-2005, 03:17 PM
loss of ovaries

Blessings,

I am older than you (46) and before surgery I was only having a TVH but it turned into a TAH and BSO because they found severe endo. (so much for the IBS they said I' ve had for all these years!). It was such a shock for me to be in surgical menopause. I hadn't anticipated it at all and am having to deal with it. I found this great book called Sudden Menopause by Debbie Deangelo. She had her ovaries removed in her 20's because of cancer. The book is very easy to read and put the sudden menopause into a more positive light and basically she says there is a life afterwards. I was so tired of reading about all the bad things that could happen to you! If I had a choice I would keep my ovaries but I didn't have a choice. You must make that decision. Since the surgery I have felt amazing, way better than I have felt for years. I just worry about the effects of loss of all the hormones in the long run. Will it affect my longevity etc.? Hope this helps.
Unread 03-29-2005, 04:58 PM
Thank You

Thank you for your kind posts and encouragement.

Today I had an ultrasound and yes there is an ovarian cyst but it is small and not believed to be the main problem. What is of concern is an area that appears to be attached to the left ovary that is about 7.5 cm across that seems to encase either blood clot and/or active bleeding. It is as if there is the ovary, a small cyst and then this attachment of something surrounding and spreading out from the left ovary. The Radiologist said there may be blood surrounding the ovary. And there is a hole in the vaginal vault, a communication, now. They don't know how this happened but it is a risk of infection from what I understand now that there is flow of blood from the pelvis through the vagina.

I don't know if that is a very clear explanation. It is hard to understand. We are waiting to hear from my surgeon's associate and she is expected to talk with my family doctor. My surgeon is away right now. Tomorrow I am to see my GP for follow-up. I really don't know what to expect. I so wish my surgeon was here. I would feel so much more comfortable going through this with her here.

I am praying my way through.

Blessings

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register