anybody had anal manometry and EMG testing done? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anybody had anal manometry and EMG testing done? anybody had anal manometry and EMG testing done?

Unread 03-25-2005, 05:23 PM
anybody had anal manometry and EMG testing done?

Hi everybody
I am wondering what the EMG and manometry test will be like? I was supposed to get this done after my colon transit study and defecography in the beginning of Jan. I cancelled it figuring the rectocele was all of my problem causing the constipation. It wasn't. Now I am going back to the colon rectal surgeon to see what can be done to help me. Right now I continue to add alot of fiber and also use Miralax. So far it really isn't helping with my problem. My left side of my abdoman is still thumping and carrying on after I eat and sometimes when I haven't ate in quite a while. This has been going on pretty much since my hyst almost 11 months ago. I am really afraid something is not allowing food to pass through my colon very easily. I had a colonoscopy in Aug., so I know nothing is wrong inside of my colon. Now I wonder if something is stopping it from the outside.My lower abdoman is so sore. I keep hoping it will get better.
I have some other ongoing sensations I really can't explain. My pubic bone feels sore, like terrible pressure when I was pregnant. This has been going on for months. I also get pain in the muscles or spincher ? towards the lower back hiney on both sides.Today at work it actually traveled down my upper left leg where it connects to the hind end. Most of the time these symptoms appear when I am standing up and walking around, especially at work.
One other thing that concerns me is when I stand up, bend over or walk around a while I feel that bulge feeling in my vagina again just like when I had my prolapses(posterior), but appears to be coming down from the top. I am so scared there is more going on than I thought.Hopefully these tests will help diagnose what is going on. I am continuing to push for those answers.
I am so glad I postponed the tvt for now. I just started the stress incontinence a few months ago and almost wonder if it is caused by something pushing on my bladder when I bend or stand up. I really don't leak urine when I cough or sneeze.
Any info on these tests would be appreciated. I don't know anybody who had them.
THANKS
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2005, 08:30 AM
anybody had anal manometry and EMG testing done?

Peggy,
Good Lord hun, it just doesn't seem to end does it? I am so sorry. I had an EMG done for numbness in 2 fingers after cervical disc hernations to check and see if it was coming from the neck issues or my arm. In the info they give you, they will tell you that it is "slightly uncomfortable"...not true, it is painful. That is not only my experience, but many patients of mine have also expressed this. It hurts. I didn't even allow them to get to the part where they insert the needles, I refused and left and I to this day refuse to have it done...the numbness isn't going anywhere so I don't care where it comes from..LOL So I am not only speaking from my experience but what my patients have told me. Some of them, even though it was painful enough to cry, had the entire procedure done. They can't give you anything to relax or any type of anesthesia because it will slow down the nerve reaction, thus making the test not accurate. The bladder leaking when you bend over and stand is probably due to the tilting of it, which is why theywant to do the tvt. Does it leak if you lift anything over 10lbs too? The bulging could be cystocele you have. Be glad it doesn't happen when you sneeze or laugh or cough...it stinks. I can pretty much control it most of the time unless I have a cold or something and the sneezing and coughing are hard, then let the floodgates open..lol I am so sorry that you are having all these issues and it was a very good idea (imo) to cancel the tvt..that is not as important as the bowel issues. You can live with the stress incontinence--I know I have for almost 10 years now. Look on the web for info on EMG..the word it stands for is : electromyography...I found a great website about it that has patient forums called www.teleemg.com
If you have any questions for me, please do not hesitate to PM or email me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register