just had surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just had surgery just had surgery

Unread 03-26-2005, 09:13 AM
just had surgery

Just had surgery Tuesday - surgeon managed to do it as a Lap - yay - for what turned out to be my colon adhered to my abdominal wall - those pesky adhesions again! My preprinted discharge instructions are the same ones he gives to his lap gallbladder patients and says I can go back to work in one week! Am I really going to feel that much better in the next two days? I swear I can feel every centimeter that was peeled off my abdominal wall and my abdomen is still black and blue. What does everybody think? Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2005, 11:03 AM
just had surgery

I'm sorry you've had to endure another surgery. I do hope that it will bring you relief.

As for healing time, we are all different, but for me I have found that with each additional surgery it has taken me longer to recover. I had an exploratory lap a few years ago, the doc didn't find anything, but it still took me several weeks to feel like myself again.

If you feel that after a week you're not ready to return to work, than I would call the doctor and request more time off. Take the time that you need, you only have one chance to heal. Sometimes that can take longer than we or the doctor expects.

Unread 03-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Hi

Hi,
When I had my first lap, I went back to work in one week, because the doctor said I could, and I had never had surgery before, so I though the huge bruise and the pain I was in was "normal!" I really think if I'd taken two weeks off I would have healed better from that first surgery. I was knocked out for over two hours, and a lot of cutting went on in there!!! One week, please. If you can take the time off, please do. I think it is very important to heal properly from ANY surgery. Good Luck, and I hope this surgery takes care of your problem and that those pesky adhesions STAY AWAY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2005, 05:26 PM
just had surgery

Where I worked we always had patients out for gallbladder lap for 2 weeks and that is what I had when I had mine out. I think one week is pushing it. If you don't feel like going back, just call the doc and I am sure he would give you another week off with no problem. Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 04-02-2005, 12:55 PM
How many surgeries?

I just got home form having surgery for adhesions. They had to cut me open to get them. They couldn't be done by lap so now I have 16 staples.
What are the odds of these coming back. I don't want to go through this again. I am in so much pain. God bless.
Unread 04-03-2005, 04:35 PM
just had surgery

I had another lap surgery 7 weeks ago to remove a pevlic tumor and more adhesions - I am still tired ans sore. There is no way I could have gone back towork so soon.

My suggestion is to take a few weeks off and see how you feel then. Just because a surgery is lap does not mean it is an easy surgery - the recovery can take time.

Take care.

s
Unread 04-04-2005, 10:39 AM
just had surgery

I had a lap 3 weeks ago for adhesions and endo. I went back to work after 1 week and that first day was miserable, I called in the next day but after that I have managed to be here every day. I also have a desk job so I sit most of the day. Depending on your job and how YOU feel should be what makes the decision. Like they say everyone is different and everyone heals at different rates. Listen to your body.
Unread 04-04-2005, 01:41 PM
just had surgery

Healing is an individual process. What the doctor normally gives is just a guideline ... a best guess. Don't feel held to that standard. Listen to your body. My gyn's policy is that it is up to the patient. He asks me when I want to return to work and so far we've had no problem agreeing on a reasonable return date.

If your doc is not as kind as mine, I wouldn't just call. I'd make and appointment and have everything checked out and I'd tell the doctor I felt like I still needed more healing time. It's harder to tell you "no" in person. Plus if you are serious enough to take time to come in, you probably are seriously not feeling well.

Take care of you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register