Cancer discovered during hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cancer discovered during hysterectomy Cancer discovered during hysterectomy

Unread 03-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Cancer discovered during hysterectomy

At the risk of scaring everyone silly, I'd like to hear from anyone else, who like me, was told that they found cancer during surgery. I'm sure (I hope) this is very uncommon and thats why I'd like to talk to anyone else it has happened to. I won't get my complete pathology report for another week yet so I only have a general diagnosis and no details. I"d like to hear how others cope with the waiting time.

Other than the obvious hitch I just mentioned surgery went well and I'm am feeling much better than anticipated. Why? Because I read everything on this web site and followed all the advice that applied to me. This site has been incredibly helpful!!!!! Thank you to all who post such helpful comments and resources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2005, 12:07 PM

I was told at my 3 week (1st and last pre-op check) that the pathology report showed the "tiniest" bit of cancer and that the good news was that it was all gone. I was told I would need a yearly "pap" (actually, I think they take cells from the vaginal vault from what I read here). It's a shocker, huh? I had read 'going in" that app. 25% of complex hyperplasia with atypia (like I had) they do find some cancerous cells. Still, I did not expect to be within that 25%!!! Hope you get good news!!!
Unread 03-26-2005, 03:13 PM

Thats exactly what happened to me. I went in for surgery, removal of a large(size of a small watermelon) the doc told me not to worry, that he would remove only the mass, unless of course something was awry. I came out of surgery to discover that they had done a complete radical hyst with lymph node removal for suspected ovarian cancer. The pathology report showed exactly that. Talk about a shock!!!! Its hard to wait. that is the toughest. Keep yourself occupied, either by finding something you enjoy reading, or your hobby. keep a positive attitude. I believe that being positive has a huge effect on your health in general. I still get cancer head every time I have to have my CA-125, and for the first 3 years, that will be every 3 months. I go back again on the 1st of April.
If you wanna talk, PM me anytime.
hugs
snickers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2005, 04:14 PM

We knew I had endometrial cancer, that's why I had the TAH/BSO. But we weren't sure how severe, so I know how hard the waiting for that patho report is! Thankfully, it was just stage 1, and hadn't penetrated the uterine wall so I'm considered cured. We took my ovaries as a precaution, and thankfully no cancer found there.

Still, it did shock me to see Endometrial Carcinoma in big, bold letter at the top of the report under diagnosis!!

Did they say where they found your cancer?

Bonnie
Unread 03-26-2005, 05:13 PM

I'm sorry that you've been told you have cancer. No one wants to hear that--not before their hysterectomy, not after their hysterectomy. It can typically take anywhere from 10-14 days for the pathology report to come back. I hope it shows that the cancer was found very early!

If the pathology report indicates cancer of any type, please request a referral to see a gynecologic oncologist. They are the experts when it comes to female cancers, and they are trained extensively in all the current treatments available.

You might also like to visit our Cancer Concerns forum. You'll find lots of ladies there (in addition to the those who have posted before me!) who would be happy to share their cancer experiences with you, offer you support and help you formulate a list of questions that you might like to ask your doctor.

Good luck! I hope you receive good news when your pathology comes back. Please come back and let us know what you learn!

Unread 03-26-2005, 06:04 PM

I had a TVH/BSO on Feb 7th,2005. The reason for the hyst was because of precancerous cells on my cervix. My mom had the same condition, my daughter too. The path report showed cancer in the uterine lining. Since they removed cervix, uterus, tubes, and ovaries, my doc says there is no need for further treatment. But, I did go ahead, on the advice of my hystersisters, have my path report sent to a GYN/ONC to look over next week. Just to be on the safe side. I am certainly glad they did the total hyst. and not just remove the cervix. Here I would be with cancer in my uterus waiting to invade something else. By the way, I had no symtoms of anything before my exam. So I feel very lucky to have got this done when I did.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register