Post Op Jitters | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Op Jitters Post Op Jitters

Unread 02-07-2001, 09:21 AM
Post Op Jitters

Hi Everyone,
It's been some time since I've written but, I read this site almost daily. I have found real comfort in what many of you have said. BUT...and I'm sure you've all heard this before - It's getting close and I'm really getting jumpy. I'm scheduled for my surgery (don't know all the abreviations yet) abdominal hysterectomy with removal of both ovaries) on March 6 at 10:00 a.m. I am 54, and although I've had some tough times over the years and have taken tons of medications (hormones) and I know that my problems will be resolved with the surgery, I'm still very, very apprehensive. I'm not so worried about the actual surgery itself and the healing time - I'm more worried about how the surgery will leave me AFTER the healing time. I guess I'm worried about the hormone changes, weight gain, lack of sexual desire - you know, all the "old wives tales" we have heard for so long. I wish I had a crystal ball and could see ME after it is all done and over with. There are so many different case scenarios and everyone is different so it isn't fair of me to look for absolutes. But, I'm only human and certainly far from perfect and I'm REALLY, REALLY, SCARED! I want to get it done, get well and be able to go back to work as if nothing major took place. Am I crazy? Be honest - I sometimes need to be hit with a 2x4 to really take notice. Are the effects of having the ovaries removed felt immediately? Although I am 54, I have been having my periods on a regular monthly (or more) basis so I'm obviously still producing estrogen. Should I worry that I will need more than estrogen? I tend to DO AS THE DOCTOR ORDERS but in this case, maybe I should be a little more adamant about adding other things if needed.
Anything you can offer me at all will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ladies,
Love Sam (my nickname)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2001, 11:34 AM
Post Op Jitters

Sam,
I kept my ovaries so I don't know for sure but I believe that they usually put a patch on you prior to surgery that will deliver hormones immediately after they remove the ovaries.
It is very hard to look into the future. In fact we cannot. So focus on the moment. If you don't workout start. You will be pleased that you did. Walking is a great thing. This will aslo keep your mind off things to come. Start to strengthen the abdominal by doing some ab exercises. Start to eat the right foods asnd drink plenty of water. Take a vitamin c everyday.
About all your hormone concerns, please feel free to go to the Hormone Jungle and ask all your questions. They can give you all kinds of information there. Hopefully to set your mind at ease.
There is nothing you can do by worrying. Leave that to the Lord.
Special blessings and prayers
Unread 02-07-2001, 11:34 AM
Post Op Jitters

Hi Sam, Your sound alot like me, I was really worried how things would be, I didn't find this sight until after my surgery. I am 38 and had a total ab. hsterectomy with both ovarys removed on Dec. 28th so I will be 6 weeks post-op tomorrow. I was having nightsweats and hotflashes for months before surgery so I really didn't feel any different afterwards as far as that. As far as sexual desire goes I still wanted to 2 weeks post-op, we have only had sex once yesterday and it was more painful than i thought it would be, but I still want to. I still feel like me except for a little more crabby, I think because I am stubborn and want to be able to do everything like I used to and I hate to ask for help from my family. I couldn't think of going back to work right now, but other women here have went back at 6 weeks and did fine. There is no way that you can "know" how you will do afterward everyone is different. It sounds like you just want to get it over with and I can't blame you for feeling that way. Just try to have a possitve outlook on it, I am glad you found this place, I didn't find it until after I had my surgery and boy have I learned alot!! Listen to what everyone says here, give yourself plenty of time off work and try to get help when you need it. Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2001, 11:42 AM
Post Op Jitters

Sam:

I just wanted to reiterate the advice you have already received. Start working out at least a little. Try to strengthen your abdominal muscles. You will be glad that you did. I fully believe that my ab work prior to surgery- and believe me when I tell you that my belly wasnt flat or in perfect shape- has helped me a great deal. I am now 3 weeks post op and can sleep on my side again. I can turn in bed and sit up with no real problems - just be smart and above all- listen to your own body- take it easy. You will heal quicker and feel like yourself much quicker.

good luck and we will be sending you good thoughts when you have your surgery.

Jeanne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register