Ovarian Cysts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cysts Ovarian Cysts

Unread 03-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Ovarian Cysts

Wondering if anyone would be able to help explain or offer insight.

I was recently told that I have a large size cyst on my left ovary and abnormally dilated ovarian vein. Confirmed by ultrasound. It has been extremely painful and I have not been able to eat much at all for over a week and have had some bleeding.

We are currently trying to shrink the cyst and improve my pain with Provera at 10mg each day. I have some apprehensions about taking the Provera but I understand the value of trying to address the cyst this way as opposed to surgery. I trust my doctor in taking the least severe and invasive route first, as removing the ovary is such a big decision and so final. I want to do all I can so that if it does come to the surgery I feel I tried everything.

I am leaking a reddish-brown fluid per the vagina (sorry!) now. Initially I had some bleeding a few days ago, like spotting. I have had a Hysterectomy, LAVH last April.

Wondering if the cyst was leaking or ruptured could it leak through the vaginal vault? Or is this not sealed after the Hyst?

The cyst is believed to be a corpus luteum. Has anyone else had this kind of cyst before? I have heard they can be very painful.

Are hormonal meds usually successful in shrinking ovarian cysts? I have read a mix of both positive and negative. Experience you may have had?

I have heard of watchful waiting and monitoring the cyst by ultrasound for growth or change. The Provera has only been given for 6 weeks.

Any insight or personal experience you have had is so valuable and appreciated. I keep hoping and praying that the medicine will work and that I won't have to go through another operation. Perhaps if I am not in so much pain my surgeon will just watch and wait, allowing my body time to heal from my surgery just a few weeks ago. I would appreciate the time to reflect before having to endure another operation especially if I required removal of the ovary.

Blessings

~Also wondering after a Laparoscopy do you still bleed if you have had a Hysterectomy? I know that they always say yes if you have not had a Hysterectomy, but I thought after a Hyst it wasn't possible to bleed through the vaginal vault? Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Ovarian Cysts

How much leaking are you having? Is it a tiny bit--or like having a period? I would recommend you call your doctor about this. She needs to know if it is more than just a little. It could possibly be a sign of a hematoma. Please call your doc and let us know how you are doing. ((((HUGS))))) Liltear
Unread 03-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Thank You

Thank you for your kind reply.

I am wondering the same. I had a post-operative vault hematoma after my LAVH last year. It was very similar in pain and other symptoms. I really do think it is possible that is happening again. Last time though it was so severe that I passed out and was bleeding a lot because of the extent of the Hyst. This time the vessels and veins on the vaginal vault that were cauterized were smaller, but that doesn't mean the same could not have happened. There could just be less bleeding. I remember once I started bleeding I felt a little better. Just like this time, once the blood-type fluid started I felt slightly better.

I know that I have the cyst but this seems so severe. Unless of course it is growing in size or a hemorrhagic cyst? The pain right now is like a deep ache that is constant, but when I move around or walk it worsens. It can feel as intense as a knife pushing through my pelvic cavity with a lot of pressure. If my bladder is filled and I void or especially if I have a bowel movement it gets worse. I am trying so hard to hang on until Tuesday when my own doctor GP is back in the office. But if I have a bm I have to literally bite on a wash cloth and cry because it puts so much pressure on the front of my belly and deep inside it hurts. The pain is in the exact location of where my doctor would have treated the vault veins with cautery. I am not having trouble having a bm so I don't think it is anything to do with that or an obstruction. It is anytime there is pressure.

We have two little ones so I am trying to hang in there and keep things as normal as possible. And I didn't get a promising or empathetic response by any stretch from the surgeon's on-call replacement. So I am kind of on my own right now through this. I was told as long as I wasn't getting worse or gushing blood. To me this is plenty worth listening to and addressing, but apparently not according to the doctor in my surgeon's place for the next week.

I think I will go and see my own GP on Tuesday and see what she says. This just does not seem right? It has also gone on so many days. I am still leaking blood-type fluid (pinky-bronze) and it also gets worse after any pressure is put forth or activity like walking and such. I really don't think my surgeon will think it is meaningless, but of course she isn't here. I think someone needs to know about this and if necessary advocate on my behalf until my surgeon returns. My doctor only did a vaginal ultrasound but I know last time it took an abdominal to find the hematoma. I think I will ask my GP for that to be done ASAP.

Blessings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2005, 09:21 PM
HI

Hi Blessings,
Did this bleeding start after a vaginal ultra-sound??? That could be the culprit. And I KNOW how painful ovarian cysts can be!! That's what started me on my long journey, leading me to this road!! I told my hubby that it was much worse than labor pains! At least with them you got a break between contractions, with this cyst, I never got a break, the pain was horrible. It literally knocked me off my feet. Unfortunatly, mine just kept getting bigger, and I had to have a lap to take it off. Then, everything else seemed to fall apart, and I ended up with a TAH/BSO. Not the best thing in the world to do. I wish I had left an ovary, but you can't un-ring a bell, so here I sit (insomnia, YEAH!). Anyway, good luck to you, and I hope you can shrink it with meds., mine hurt so bad, after 3 months I would have surgically removed it myself (LOL).
Unread 04-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Ovarian Cyst Questions

Yesterday upon review of last weeks ultrasound films and a repeat scan it was determined that I have a large ovarian cyst and a pelvic hematoma from my Laparoscopy.

We are following my doctor's lead right now, and doing watchful waiting on both the cyst and the hematoma. I am taking 10mg of Provera on advice of my doctor regarding my ovaries and trying to quiet them down, but it is not working to date.

I know that I have a combination of the hematoma and the cyst, which is somewhat unusual at the same time, but I am feeling so very sick. Wondering...

~can an ovarian cyst affect your bowels? Press on them etc? It sounds like a constant storm inside and I can't keep any food in anymore.

~I know there is free fluid in my belly. Can this affect how you feel? Nausea?

~I want to support my doctor through this and do as I am directed. They feel that waiting is best, but how do I know when enough is enough? Like right now I feel terrible with the nausea (meds don't help) can not sleep very well, and hardly eat. When I do eat it doesn't make a difference because of BM or vomiting. I don't want to have another surgery or go through anything more. If that can be avoided then great, but this is really hard too. It is hard to do "normal" things and my family and new work are counting on me. I want to be able to be there for my family.

~My doctor seems very discouraged by the complicatios I have had and is very quiet and reserved all of a sudden. I feel her frustration. It is really hard to ask for help or to feel like I can call and ask questions because it is percieved as a "bother." Complications are so hard for everyone, but I really need her support right now to understand what is happening in my body and to determine direction.

Blessings
Unread 04-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Ovarian Cysts

i can tell you that the free fluid can cause the pressure on your bowels and if the cyst is big enough, i am sure it can do that too. Why do you feel like you are a bother to this doc?
Unread 04-09-2005, 09:07 AM
How Do You Know?

How do you know in terms of ovarian cysts when it is time to consider doing something surgically?

I know it is a very personal thing. Sometimes it is hard to look at all the history and to face that there is a pattern that points to the need to do something. Especially when that "something" means the removal of an ovary. I have a long history of complex ovarian cysts, endometriomas, large corpus luteums and free fluid in the pelvic cavity on repeat scan. It is evident the "problem" has never truly gone away.

Once again I am going down this road and it seems that it may be time to consider removing the left ovary. It has been problematic for many years in terms of cysts, but it is actually the "weaker" side. The right ovary was damaged by an endometrioma and there is not a whole lot of it left. My doctor is trying to quiet my ovaries with Provera, but it has yet to work despite several weeks. In fact the doctor said that my ovaries are as active as ever and cysts are showing on the right side now too.

I have a large post-op hematoma that remains unchanged. If the cyst continues to be problematic the natural discussion will be whether to address it in the operating room at the same time? I have endured eleven surgeries and the thought of another one is hard. Yet, if it comes to operating on the hematoma I will feel the reality of deciding whether or not to consider removal of the ovary as well.

The cyst I have right now is large and deemed to be "complex." There is a large fluid collection around it also. It will be 8 weeks upon my next appointment and it seems that will prove to be a time of decision. I feel like I need to be emotionally ready to consider my ovaries as I trust that will be raised in the conversation is surgery is contemplated. Your insight and experience is valued. Thank you.

Blessings

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register