stomach pain & nausea - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stomach pain & nausea stomach pain & nausea

Unread 03-31-2005, 08:48 AM
stomach pain & nausea

I'm glad you are open to the possibility that it might be your GB. The more you describe what is going on....the more I'm thinking it might actually be it. Especially now that you are having diarrhea. Uggh....no fun. And the pain will come and go. The first time I went to the ER, the doc tried to tell me that it was heartburn and gave me a "GI Cocktail" that he said would take care of it. It didn't even phase me. Just tasted terrible. I told him that, and he sent me home anyway. It wasn't until 2 ER visits later that I finally got someone to do an US and they found the stones. (I had surgery a week later.) I wouldn't do that now.....I was young then...and let doctors push me around!!! If you aren't feeling better, tell them you want to be checked for gall stones or kidney stones. A simple lab test may not be enough. And an US may not show it either. So if you still aren't getting answers, keep pushing until you get the answers you need. There are other tests that can show stones (Kidney and Gallbladder) if the US is negative. But I would start with the US, it is non invasive and doesn't expose you to any radiation. (Geesh - you'd think I'd been through this a time or two... )

Good luck and keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2005, 09:19 AM
stomach pain & nausea

Just a little side note to let you know that ALL my tests that I had for my gallbladder came back negative--u/s, CT, and 2 diff HIDA scans (which shows gallbladder function) and when the pain wouldn't let up---even eating nonfat foods would trigger the pain at this point, they did a lap and my GB was inflammed with an acute infection and showed evidence of chronic infections. Took that sucker out and felt like a million bucks! Courtney is right, if the tests come back negative, keep pushing for it until you get some answers. Also---stay away from fatty foods, this will get your gallbladder contracting more because its job is to help breakdown fat. There are other things too that this could be, so don't give up!
Good luck and please keep us updated.
Unread 03-31-2005, 11:16 AM
stomach pain & nausea

I called the doctor to schedule the ultrasound. I figure I can always cancel the appointment if I'm feeling better. I went through hell trying to get diagnosed for endometriosis 5 years ago. Every test was negative.....I don't want to go through that again. It guess it's best to know for sure though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2005, 01:00 PM
stomach pain & nausea

I am sorry to hear about your pain.
It may be GB, But i have learned one thing if it hurts that bad for that long...Go to the ER they will do all the tests needed and you will have the results sooner .

Sometimes you have be a little "Drama" to get the help you need!

=)
Unread 03-31-2005, 01:20 PM
stomach pain & nausea

Please don't think I'm being pushy........I'm not trying to be. But I wouldn't cancel your appt even if you do start to feel better. I would feel better in between "attacks", and then they would come back.

Good luck!
Unread 04-01-2005, 04:53 PM
stomach pain & nausea

I don't think you're being pushy at all. I appreciate all the advice you can give me. I haven't heard back from my doctors office yet about scheduling the tests. I'm actually feeling pretty good today. I even had lasagna for lunch today. So far no pain. We'll see how the night goes though.
Unread 04-01-2005, 05:15 PM
stomach pain & nausea

I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with stomach pain, something I am all to familiar with. I've dealt with the nausea also. My doc has given me meds for the nausea, which I used to have to take on a regular basis, but haven't had to use them for a few months now. Please don't cancel your appt, even if you begin to feel better. It's best to have any new symptoms checked out.

I am glad that you were able to eat lasagne today without any pain. I hope you continue to feel better, but still think you should have your symptoms checked out.

One thing that may help is to keep a food diary and note your symptoms. If your symptoms continue off and on, it may help to pinpoint if certain foods are making things worse.

Unread 04-03-2005, 06:13 PM
stomach pain & nausea

Hi RKN1010 and others,

I've had nausea, chest pain and hiccups since my first week post-op. At first I blamed it on the Cipro, a powerful antibiotic but also one which kills all the bacteria in the gut. I did use natural yogurt but never graduated to protonics. This is my saga, only to say you are still early in your journey but keep at it.

1. PCP ordered an abdominal ultrasound which was normal except for a fatty liver (common among the fluffy). Was referred to a gastroenterologist.

2. Gastro ordered an abdominal and pelvic CT scan, also normal except for the fatty liver. The radiologist noted a bulge on the uterus, quite a surprise since I no longer had one. It was fun getting that straightened out! The gastro also ordered Prilosec, which I have been on since Feb 12. Sometimes need to augment with Pepcid Complete.

3. Went to the ER in late February because I felt like an idiot ignoring the persistent chest pains. They kept me overnight to run a stress test in the morning - again normal. There was a later myoview - again normal. The chest pain did resolve with nitroglycerine. The ER docs though it was my esophagus.

4. Had an endoscopy last Friday. Also normal except that I kept waking up during the procedure. Raised my arm and tried to speak but was told don't speak, so just raised my arm. I said, well at least I didn't wake up during surgery. The head nurse indicated this was just as rare and equally troubling. She had my entire hospital record to review; this goes way back since my first born is now 31. I will call her again tomorrow since what happened after I went home is puzzling. After a light lunch, DH drove me home and I napped from 4 pm to 10 pm, woke up when he came to bed, watched a little TV and then slept through to 6 am. I think maybe my liver wasn't processing the anesthesia effeciently. I was given Versed and Fentanyl and neither was effective. Whoa!

5. After 6 weeks on Prilosec, the nausea has abated somewhat but my stomach often hurts. I asked the Gastro what did she think caused the chest pain and she indicated it was most likely reflux and the next time it happened to test if it resolves with an antacid. This is where I am, still looking for answers but not giving up.

MarianWRN - it was interesting that your gallbladder was normal on all the tests. Was it even enlarged slightly?

I guess the bottom line is that sometimes tests are inconclusive and it's necessary to keep pushing. I do try to be a good patient, but also an informed one.

Good luck and listen to the experience of the sisters.

Susan
Unread 04-03-2005, 06:45 PM
stomach pain & nausea

Susan,
Before my experience with my GB, my uncle went through 6 months worth of tests and hospital stays with doctors thinking that he had problems with everything EXCEPT his gallbladder. They were quite convinced it was his heart - did stress tests, echos, the works. Everything was negative. They also did CT after CT. Everything was negative. But his pain persisted. So then they insisted that it was Gastro related. He had scopes - both ends. Found nothing. They tried a battery of treatments for reflux, etc. Nothing changed it. Finally some enlightened doctor suggested that they take another look at his GB - and low and behold that is what the problem was all along. Some people have no stones - so the US's don't show stones. The gallbladder can have many things wrong with it. If you feel that you are having problems, and the treatments that you are receiving are not helping, continue seeking help. It is important that you do not let them dismiss you. If it does end up being your GB, and you have an infection, you can become very ill. (As another sister sadly did!)

Good luck!!! Take care!!!!!

Cortney
Unread 04-03-2005, 07:14 PM
stomach pain & nausea

Only one stone or polyp showed up on my GB ultrasound in Sept. I had all the symptoms of a bad GB. The day after my ultra sound I became so sick my surgeon sent me to the ER. He saw me there and admitted me. I also had a uti. I stayed in the hospital for 3 days because I was so sick. I had a lapro 1 week later that was supposed to be for adhesion alysis, but ended up being gallbladder removal. It was very inflamed and covered with adhesions. None of this showed up on a cat scan I had in May and again in late August. Evidently my GB was full of sludge and was making me very sick.
Keep pushing for answers. Not everything shows up on tests.
I hope it all goes well for you.
Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register