Dreading it all !!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dreading it all !!! Dreading it all !!!

Unread 03-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Dreading it all !!!

Hallo, i am Katiepix, 49yrs old, married with 3 children, 2 boys ages, 30 and 17 ,1 girl 25, only the youngest living at home, the other 2 live in different parts of the UK. My husband is an officer in the Merchant Navy and works away, 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off. I have suffered from very large fibroids for the past few years and have been told an abdominal hysterectomy is the only option, i'm due to have this on May 5th a few days after my husband comes home. I have been having Zoladex injections monthly since sept , not at all nice, although having been on HRT for a while due to perimenapausal symptoms probably not as bad as they could have been! I am getting worse as the time comes nearer, dreading everything, going in to hospital, ( have to go in at 10am the daybefore the op) the op, i told my consultant that i wanted to keep my cervix and my ovaries and she was not impressed with me, her opinion was i should have everything removed so i wouldn't be at risk of developing ovarian cancer etc: I only want my womb removed and sent her a confirming letter stating this and querying if my incision would be bikini line, ( i don't want a vertical one!!!) I haven't received a reply yet.
Sorry to go on a bit, there are so many things getting to me, i'm worrying that i am going to substitute a slightly swollen tummy, but still a size 10/12 ( English) for a horrible swollen scarred tummy which will be even bigger! I booked a holiday in France for mid July as something to look forward to and now i'm worrying that i'm going to look and feel awful. I have read so much on the internet hoping that being informed and reading other experiences would make me feel better and more positive about the whole thing, trouble is, it hasn't! I want to read something about women who have had this done and after the usual recovery period stated of 6/8 weeks feel great and that their tummy has gone nice and flat, and they haven't put on weight!!! Please is there anyone out there who can give me some positive feedback? I have a wonderful and loving husband and am more bothered about how i will look for ME! HELP!!! love from Katiepix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Dreading it all !!!

Hi I can give you some good feedback. After all the reading I had done on the internet I was scared, and of course everyone was telling me their horror stories. Well I think I had myself so worked up for all the pain that it turned out not as bad as everyone made it. I was up and walking the day of surgery, lol got "grounded to ward " cause I was walking too much. Was not as bad as everyone says....Yes I am very weak but didn't have alot of pain.
I am giving my opinion now and am not a doctor. I was advised to go ahead and get everything taken out due to cancer also and I was also told that if I do not, in time will have to go through this surgery again. Now I don't know about you but me...........NO thank you!!! It wasn't bad.........but...........never again.........did it all at once and is done forever. Just think about that. My mum had it one 2x and it knocked her just as flat the second time. Good luck and take care.
Unread 03-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Dreading it all !!!

oh sorry and have also lost 24lbs to date since surgery. Have horizontal incision and is healing very nicely. I don't think I will have much of a scar since I had no stitches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Positive feedback

Hi, Katiepix!

I am 9 weeks post-op and I am very happy with my outcome. I lost 10 pounds (worried it off) before surgery and lost 5 more after surgery. I haven't gained any weight back. I'm watching what I eat and hope to lose even more.

My scar is a very thin line, barely visible. Swelly belly is pretty much gone, unless I overdo. I'm wearing all of my pre-surgery clothes, and I think I look pretty great. People tell me I look thinner.

I was a little worried about how I would look after surgery, too. My worries were all unfounded. It just takes time.

I hope this helps. I'm very happy with myself now. I'm glad I did it because life is so much better. I wish the same for you, too!

Sending positive thought to you!

Cinderellen
Unread 03-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Dreading it all !!!

Thankyou for your reply, i was beginning to think i sounded so silly writing that i was worrying about things such as the scar, getting fat and generally looking and feeling unattractive that no one would bother to reply to me. I know that there are other women who have to go through this that are so much worse off than myself, those who have no children and maybe had planned to do so. I am feeling so selfish at the moment, all i can seem to think about is me, i'm not worried about the pain of the op as i have quite a high pain threshold, i'm hardly sleeping, keep waking up after strange nightmares??? I should be doing things to keep me occupied and pass the time, my husband is away until a few days before my op and i can't be bothered to get going and do anything, feel quite flat and depressed when i get up each morning, i just want this all over and done with. I don't have any family living near and as we moved here not too long ago, not too many friends. I haven't been well enough to work properly for the past couple of years so have just been doing the odd mystery shopping work so i don't get to make friends at work either, nice to feel i can "talk" to people out there who maybe understand a bit. Love to all, Katiepix xxx
Unread 03-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Dreading it all !!!

glad you feel a bit more positive after the replies I had TAH/BSO cervix removed on 14 of Feb..I was surprised how well I did after surgery..wind and constipation probs for few days some surgical menopause symptoms but no hrt ..so far so good PLEASE DONT GET SCARED BY REDING POSTS..MIND YOU I DISCOPVERED WEB SITE after OP..REMEMBER SISTERS POST WHEN THEY HAVE A PROBLEM OR CONCERN...MANY WHO DO NOT DO NOT POST AT ALL...regardless all sisters post to help others cos when you have a concern and others reply it helps lots of sisters with similar concerns who then do not needto post..your concern about how many bits to have removed is very personal...only you and your dr can decide what is best for you i put off surgery for several months as I battled and researched and pondered about overies or not,cervix or not etc but decided to have the lot out..
the very best for your op and stay positive...hugs
Unread 03-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Dreading it all !!!

I'd recommend reading the "Tell Your Hyst-Story" posts. Most of the stories are positive (the few that report significant problems usually say so in the subject, so you can skip those if you want).

The other thing that has helped me keep (relatively) calm and positive about up-coming surgery is guided imagery CDs. My insurance company sent me one called "Successful Surgery" and I liked it so much I got some other ones, too. On the CDs (they come in tapes, too), a warm, nurturing voice tells a little story for you to follow in your imagination, with a background of soothing music. I always feel very comforted after listening to them and, supposedly, they may even help have a good outcome from surgery. I got mine from a website www.healthjourneys.com. Especially since you don't have a lot of nurturing available at the moment, you might find them a helpful substitute.

Wishing you all the best,
Unread 04-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Dreading it all !!!

Hi katiepix, and welcome. You are just my age. I had a TAH on 3/3 for massive fibroids, and the experience has been extremely positive. At four weeks post-op I'm back to nearly all normal activity (except the things my doctor has expressly forbidden, like vacuuming, heavy cleaning, and walking the dogs), and am practically pain free. I plan to return to work at 6 weeks. I walk a mile or two every day and the only discomfort from that is in my feet (I need new walking shoes). I'm sleeping well, have a positive attitude, and am so very very happy I had this surgery!

I'm quite overweight and gained a few pounds temporarily at the hospital (probably from the IV fluid, I'd been warned about this), but it all came off, and more besides, the first few days after I got home. I also kept my ovaries because my doctor doesn't believe in removing healthy tissue, and they appear to be working just fine. I hope you can hang onto yours if there's nothing wrong with them.

Oh, and I have a bikini incision--by 2 weeks it was barely visible. Even with my weight there have been no problems with it.

You've come to the right place for support and encouragement. Best wishes for your surgery and a comfy and pleasant recovery!
Unread 04-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Dreading it all !!!

Here's to another 54 year old. After I consented to the surgery I began talking to people, reading books and searching the internet and actually got scared to death. I called my MD and made an appointment to sit and talk concerns about weight gain, lack of libido, pain, etc. She assured me that I was in good shape and that I had fought the problem long enough and I just needed to get the stuff out of there. I had already gone through menopause and started having bleeding 1 1/2 years later. I had had a biopsy, D&C and Hysteroscopy and the bleeding would start again with no pattern. I decided I didn't want to fight hot flashes, night sweats, and other menopausal symptoms AND long, heavy bleeding periods. In addiition, there was always the slight chance that something had been overlooked with the other procedures. My stomach already looked like a battleground because of two c- sections 30 years ago when vertical incisions were the thing and my appendix removed when I was 16. MD actually cut along the c-section incision and tidied up the whole mess. My surgery was 3/16 and I feel better each day. I wore a new (same size as before) pant suit for Easter and it fit great. Since I workout at Curves (well--did work out) I have several pants with the drawstring waist. They have been great!!!! I can loosen them in the evening when my tummy is swollen. I went for two walks yesterday and I am trying to convince DH that a short trip to the mall to eat out would be a good adventure for the weekend. I do have to be careful because I way over did over Easter weekend. I had my children and their spouses and my graddaughter (2 1/2 years) visiting from outstate I was exhausted by Tuesday when everyone had gone. That day was me, the couch, and the remote!! Each day after that has been better..
Good luck and God bless!!
TAH/BSO 3-16-05
Unread 04-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Thankyou

Dear All, many thanks for the replies to my mail "Dreading it all" i have been reading them all with interest. It is very kind of you all to take the time to write , i do appreciate it. I am trying to get on with the next 4 and a bit weeks as best i can. All this has been more difficult with my husband being back at work and not home until a few days before i go in to hospital, more time on my hands to think and wonder about it all and start imagining all sorts of problems that hopefully won't happen. I just wish we were designed a bit better so that we didn't have to go through all this, i didn't realise so many women have the same types of problems. Lots of love to you all Katiepix xxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register