Low blood pressure after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Low blood pressure after surgery Low blood pressure after surgery

Unread 02-08-2001, 07:20 AM
Low blood pressure after surgery

I'm 2 weeks post-op from TAH + 1 ovary, for large fibroids and endo on the ovary. All things considered, I'm feeling pretty good!

But I have a question. Did anyone else have lower blood pressure after their surgery? For years my blood pressure has been about 120/80. The week before surgery it was 110/70. In the hospital it was all over the place the first day, then kept dropping and dropping and finally settled at 110/50. It was still there at my 1 week checkup. I asked the nurse if it was unusually low because of the meds but she said "Oh no, it's very good that it's this low!" I forgot to ask the doctor about it (heavy brain fog - I forgot ALL my questions). I'll ask at my 6 wk appointment but in the meantime, did any one else experience this? Are there any medical professionals out there who can tell me what 'normal' blood pressure is? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2001, 12:46 PM

I am not a medical professional (went to med school but dropped out when I got married and had kids). So, this is just what I can recall from my education days and from dealing with my father recently who has a heart condition. (disclaimer here, heehee).

My understanding has always been that 120/80 or lower is OPTIMAL or GOOD. Higher than 130/85 is borderline, and anything over that is HIGH. That said, low blood pressure is either a measurement BELOW 90/60 or 30 points below your normal measurement. So, if your blood pressure was always 120/80 and is now 110/50, they would probably look at that as a result of your surgery or treatment (e.g., shock, anesthesia, stress, pain killers, sleeping pills, etc. can all lower BP). I don't think it's dangerously low at this point, especially since it was measured only one week after the surgery and you were probably still reacting to anesthesia and pain killers. Over time, you may see it go back up to your normal 120/80. I don't think it's a problem, and you can wait til your next appt. probably to discuss it with the doc. Overall, lower blood pressure is a good thing so long as it isn't too low. Call the doc if you're unsure.

Best wishes for your recovery, God bless.
Unread 02-09-2001, 05:40 AM

Thank you for the explanation, Patty. It helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2001, 03:15 PM
Mine was very low too!

I am 11 days post-op today (TAH/BSO w/bowel resection). When I went to the doctor on Tuesday to have my staples removed, the nurse took my blood pressure 3 times! Then she compared it to other office visits that were in the computer. It was 98/60! I had been light headed at night, felt like I would pass out. I assumed, after the blood pressure was taken on Tuesday, that this was the cause of my light-headedness. My normal reading is 110/70. I have another appt. on Wed next week. I'm anxious to see if it has gone back to normal.

Cd
Unread 02-09-2001, 03:26 PM
High to low blood pressure

Hi,
I had a TAH on 1/30 for the past year and a half as I fought huge fibroids and unknown to me a large ovarian tumor my blood pressure has been 170-150/90-80 way to high and treated with medication. Since the surgery my blood pressure has been 130-115/75-65 and they are considering taking me off the meds. I think the pain and stress my body was going through may have been part of the problem and now I'm readjusting. Just my uneducated theory. All good things to you. Hope you feel better
Unread 02-09-2001, 04:19 PM

I, too have had high blood pressure for the past year and half. It has been treated with medication. After surgery, mine was very low. The nurse told me that that was good, as long as it didn't stay too long and I was careful of being lightheaded. I lost a lot of blood in surgery (no transfusion--Doc waited 24 hrs. to check ??? (forgot what) and it was better so they didn't transfuse. I think they told me that it (low BP) was related to blodd loss.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register