Should I be concerned??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I be concerned??? Should I be concerned???

Unread 03-31-2005, 10:22 PM
Should I be concerned???

I am 8 days post op, had TVH on 3-23 and have not had BM yet. I have been taking stool softners everyday and drink water constantly. My DH says I need to take pillow and covers and move to bathroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2005, 11:21 PM
Should I be concerned???

Dr's do not want their patients to become constipated after surgery. Since youre going on day 8 it would be very wise for you to call YOUR Dr and ask HIS/HER suggestions on how to get things moving.
Unread 03-31-2005, 11:22 PM
Should I be concerned???

Hi niny,

You do need to get things moving. I didn't have any success until day 5 and I thought that was kind of bad. I took the stool softeners for a long time, but by themselves they didn't work. I finally resorted to taking some Milk of Magnesia. It was enough to get me going and I was ok after that. I also upped my fiber intake. I ate a high fiber cereal for breakfast and lots of fruit and veggies.
Some drs recommend an enema. If you haven't talked to your dr about this problem you might want to give a call and see what he/she suggests for you. Good luck.

's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2005, 11:25 PM
Should I be concerned???

You poor thing! Are you having lots of gas pains? Yes, you should be concerned - try drinking lots of water and move/walk around a bit more. I didn't start becoming 'regular' until day 5, and the first week of BM's were quite painful - even with the stool softeners! Popcorn is something that always helps get things 'moving' for me, as well as fruit. I still take stool softeners at night, last thing I want to do is strain myself. Good luck!

Bonnie
TAH/BSO March 10, 2005
Endometrial Adenocarcinoma, Stage 1
Unread 03-31-2005, 11:46 PM
Should I be concerned???

I'm off to get the milk of magnesia.....had DH pick some up yesterday. I hate the taste of it...actually makes me gag. Hopefully this will help. Wish me luck.....
Unread 04-01-2005, 12:08 AM
Should I be concerned???

I had a TAH/BSO same day as you, I went 5 days w/o a BM, but now the stool softners have kicked in and I am going 2-3 times a day, but that's better than none at all.

If you don't go by today you need to call your Dr to see if you may need an enema, or some other Rx.

Good Luck to you and happy healing!

Angie, RN
Unread 04-01-2005, 02:46 AM
Should I be concerned???

Hi, Im' sorry to hear your having problems. I did not have a bowel movement for 12 days which made me so uncomfortable I also had lots of gas. In the end I started eating bags of grapes and pears because the nurses had told me there is something in the skin which helps you go. The hospital had given me suppositories and stool softeners and nothing would work . I had asked for a stick of dynamite in the end. Thought I was never going to go. When I did it was such a relief. I had my hysterectomy just over 2 weeks ago so it can take some time. Hope you have some luck soon. You will go eventually, as they say... sh*t happens!! Lol.

Dawnie Uk xx
Unread 04-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Should I be concerned???

I had some minor problems during the first week post-op, but took a glass of Metamucil (orange flavor) and the next morning - viola! I've been regular ever since. You do need to get those bowels moving, hon, and if the Milk of Magnesia doesn't do the trick, a call to your doctor is in order. Please let us know how you are doing.

s,
Marianne
Unread 04-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Should I be concerned???

Niny;

Good Lord! Call your Dr. NOW.

I had my TVH on the 3/22 [day before you] I was fine until I got home. The second day it was like everything stopped. I went 3 days with nothing and got so impacted...I thought I would have to go to the hospital and have' it' removed.

As a last resort I took a 'natural' laxative..Senekot[sp?]. This was against Dr's orders.... But things finally moved. I almost passed out doing it and it took about 45 minutes ....Now things are moving great with 2-3 stool softeners each night.

I found out that Tylenol #3 w/codeine, and the Motrin 800 I was taking causes constipation ! The very thing that was making me better in my 'tummy' was blocking my 'pooper' ! I have always had some trouble in that area.[third surgery there]..so was scared to death.

Please call your Dr. and do something, before you hurt yourself...

Much Luv, Kate
Unread 04-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Should I be concerned???

M of M comes in gel caps and chewable form also.

Plumie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register