Bathroom issues, again ........... kinda scared. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bathroom issues, again ........... kinda scared. Bathroom issues, again ........... kinda scared.

Unread 04-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Bathroom issues, again ........... kinda scared.

Well, I dont know where else to post this question/problem. I do have a doctors appointment on Mon., although, it was originally scheduled for another problem. Ok, heres what has been happening .......... Im sorry in advance if this is too much info, I am just scared. Ok, I have hemorroids, and I have an anal fissure. I also suffer from constipation. When I go the bathroom, I can actually feel the poop (sorry) like tearing and scratching when I go. (I swear I am trying to be nice here and still get my point across.) The bleeding, however, is what scares me. Today when I went, it just seemed like there was more. When I take one of the Tucks pads and (sorry here) stick it up there, the only place that it looks like there is blood, is just around the opening, not up in me. I am just scared to death that I will have colon cancer or something. I have a half sister that says our fathers sister (who is in her 50's now) had a diagnosis of colon cancer at one time. I think she is still living though. I just keep hearing her telling me that over and over. Just how much bleeding can hemorroids and an anal fissure cause. Ladies, I am scared to death, I dont know what to do. I am scared of having to have a colonoscopy. I am scared of what they might find. My doctor has examined me for my hemorriods before, and done one of those hemocult thingys, all of them have come back negative. The anal fissure has been diagnosed by her too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2005, 11:21 AM

Jenny,

I know you are scared...I am sure everyone of us would be in your situation. I can tell you from my clinical experience that 'roids can bleed a lot..the anal fissure can bleed some just from the irritation of having a BM. I have a question--sisters, might be TMI, just to warn you---do you have blood that actually shows up in your stool? is it in the toilet water? or just when you wipe?
Regardless of those answers, I am glad that you already had an appt with your doc Monday so that you can address it then. Dont' be scared of the colonoscopy--the prep is the worst part---but I am gathering that your fear is of what they might find. IF, and that is IF, there is anything there, you want it checked out ASAP, not wait cause you fear it, trust me on this. Let me know the answers to my wonderful graphic questions..lol...and let me know how you are feeling physically. Are you feeling dizzy or lightheaded at all? Do you get dizzy when you stand up?
Mucho love and hugs!
Unread 04-02-2005, 12:17 PM

Ok, well, I will try to answer these as best I can. Ususally my stool is hard, so I (and this is gross, I know) take a plastic knife and break it apart and look. Doesnt look like there is anything there. When I did it today, there were a few specks, but it was hard to tell really. There is usually just blood on the toilet paper when I wipe, and not in the toilet, and usually when I finsish wiping, it is gone. Today, however, after the harder stool came out, the some almost like diarrhea came out next, the was blood on/in it, but its hard to tell if that is just from the hemmies or the fissure, or God forbid, something else. I have not had any dizziness or feeling light headed. I had a headache a couple days ago, but it just felt like the kind you have when your BP is up. Which is why I was going to see my doc in the first place, for my BP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2005, 01:58 PM

Okay Jenny, thanks for the info. If you start bleeding more or noticing more blood in the toilet or stool, then please do not hesitate to go to the ER, especially if it is bright red blood, that means it is new blood..if it is darker it is old blood. If you start getting dizzy or lightheaded also go in, this can be caused by the loss of blood which drops your blood pressure. Otherwise make sure you are specific with your doc as you were with me when you describe what is going on. There really is no way to know for me anyway, where this blood is coming from. More than likely he will order the scope since you seem to be bleeding more. You know I will be sending prayers your way. Please keep me updated on it all...and if it is gross you know you can always email me about it!
Unread 04-02-2005, 05:26 PM

Hi ((((Janet)))) I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time

I have Hemorrhoids and my DS had a problem with anal fissures when he was younger. Both of these conditions can cause bleeding. Constipation agravates both of these conditions, so it makes sense that, if you're constipated, there is increased discomfort and increased bleeding.

My dad had a really bad problem with hemorroids when I was a kid. And he didn't like doctors I remember, vividly, the day when I heard him tell my mom, as I left for school "I'll go to the hospital before going to the doctor's"... Lo and behold, when I got home at noon, he'd been rushed to the hospital. I remember thinking: "he did it!!!"

The reason why he was rushed to the hospital was because he had started to hemorrhage, due to the hemerrhoids. He was rushed into an emergency surgery in order to correct the problem.

This is just so you know just how serious hemorrhoids can be. So if the bleeding becomes too intense, please, do head to the ER. If not, your doctor will most likely be able to deal with it on Monday. He/she may prescribe stool softeners in order to deal with the constipation. I know that was the case for my DS, when he was dealing with the fissure.
Unread 04-03-2005, 04:56 PM

Jenny
First of all, try not and fear the worst. I have many bowel problems and I know it's difficult to not think the worst, but mine have proven to not be life threatening. Yes, they do affect my life, but I am still here to complain about them.

Second, you need to give your doctor a call and schedule an appointment so you can keep him/her informed of what is going on. A colonscopy is really not that bad, the prep is usually the worst part of the test. These tests are necessary. If something should be going on, isn't it best to catch it early? If nothing is wrong, isn't it better to know that?

Unread 04-04-2005, 06:25 AM

Well ............ I am off to the doctor .................
Unread 04-04-2005, 02:59 PM

Jenny,
Please let me know what the doc said today... I am going to email your too
Unread 04-04-2005, 07:22 PM

(((Jenny)))) Hopefully, by now, your doctor has provided some insight on just what is going on. Please keep us posted
Unread 04-04-2005, 09:27 PM

Well, I went to the doctor today. I told her what happened over the weekend. She asked about the amount of blood, if it stopped, was I taking my fiber, or was I still constipated? She did not examine me today. She said that from what I was describing and the fact that she has examined me for this just two months ago, she said it still sounded like my hemorroids flaring up (badly) She said that if I couldnt take the Metamucil, that atleast try and take the Citracel or the Benefiber. I am on a seven day course of Annusol supp. She said that if there is not improvement in a couple of weeks, to see or call her and she would send me on to I think either the surgeon (to remove the hemmies) or a gastro doc. I did have a BM today and it wasnt hard to go, it was the way it should be, and the best part .......... THERE WAS NO BLOOD!!!!

Now, the other news. I told my doctor about the pleuritic (sp?) pain that I am still having. So, she listened to my heart and my lungs, and now it seems that I have developed a heart murmur. So, I am off to see a cardiologist on Thurs. My life just seems to get better and better ..................lol!! GEEZZZZZZZZ!! Enough already!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register