I'm new! Pre-op general ?s | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm new! Pre-op general ?s I'm new! Pre-op general ?s

Unread 04-03-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm new! Pre-op general ?s

I'm having my TVH on April 19th. I'm very nervous!! I've never had surgery before and hate hospitals! I'm 34 and have small fibroids and adenomyosis. Been miserable for a few years now. I also get migraines. I don't exercise regularly and am about 40 lbs overweight, but otherwise in okay shape. I'm wondering how others with similar profiles have recovered. Thanks...this is a great website!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Don't be afraid!

Hi there,

believe me, we are all with u on that. There isn't anyone here that looks forward of having surgery. We are all in the same boat.
Plus, you have come to the right place. This website will answer all your questions concerning pre-op, post-op, surgery, recovery, exercising, eating etc.

Talk to your dr. and anesthesiologist about your fears.

My surgery is coming up April 14th and i am scared as well. Time goes faster if you have the support that you get here.

Love

Kelley
Unread 04-03-2005, 05:15 PM

Hi and !

I'm sorry you are facing surgery but I'm glad you found hystersisters.com! You will find a wealth of information and terrific support here!

If you have time, please read through Checkpoints and Pre-Op Articles. You will find a lot of great information to help you prepare for your surgery and recovery such as what to take to the hospital and questions to ask your doctor at your pre-op appointment.

I had adenomyosis and fibroids which resulted in a TVH. I had a very positive experience and an uneventful recovery. I pray that you have a good surgery and recovery as well.

Best wishes for a successful surgery!

s

Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2005, 06:11 PM

This place ROCKS!

You will do fine - if your doc had any concern I'm sure he would have voiced it to you.

Girl, most of the women in the US are overweight according to the 'weight rules' - no one would have surgery if one of the requirements was to be at 'target weight'.

So much of your recovery is 'mental' (as is most of life) --- if you can get your mind around having the surgery, accept having it, and then make it a positive thing in/for your life... you will have a good and positive recovery.

Here you will learn so much... from the surgery itself, to hints for recovery (like drinking water and walking), but mostly you will come to see that you are not alone in your fears, your concerns, and your questions. That is a HUGE comfort.
Unread 04-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Weight Issue

Hello,

With regards to the weight thing I to am about 40 lbs. overweight. When I had my appt. with my Gyn she did mention that she felt I had alot of weight to loose. She said as far as my prolapse problem it has alot to do with gravity. The excess weight is a part of the problem. I have been trying to get on track with getting my weight down and some has come off but not near as much as I would like by surgery time. I am scheduled for a TVH (keeping ovaries) with bladder hitch and A & P repairs on May 4th/05. It seems since I reached my 30's and am now 40 my weight has slowly crept up over the years.

Has any of your doctors mentioned that weight is an issue.

Lisa
Unread 04-03-2005, 09:53 PM

I was (who am I kidding, I still am ) overweight at about 275 pounds and I'm only 5'2". As long as your general health is OK, the surgery can still be done. Consider this -- gastric bypass surgery is major, too, and they do that on people much more overweight than you and I.

Best wishes to you!!

Unread 04-03-2005, 11:21 PM

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE AND SUPPORT!! Neither of my doctors (pcp & gyno) has mentioned my weight being a problem. I'm just afraid it will affect my recovery. Also, my family doesn't quite "get" that I will need time to recover, but I'm preparing as best I can! Thanks again ladies!
Unread 04-04-2005, 02:44 PM

Hi Dsnylnd!

RELAX! I am also about 30 to 40 pounds "fluffier" than I should be and I had my TVH on 2/23/05.

I felt great by 2 days post op and was out and on the go by day 6, just be careful NOT to over do it (I was a bad and paid the price) rest as you are told!

As another ladie said, talk to your DR and explain your fears to him/her, they should help to ease you mind some more!

Best of luck to you!
Kelly
Unread 04-04-2005, 06:00 PM

Hey dsnyland!

We have the same surgery dates--TAH/BSO April 19 and getting more quirky as the day approaches. I have been so worried about my weight -- quit smoking 3 years ago and packed on 40# in 3 months!! Have a treadmill, weights, bands, cd's and all the gadgets but have been so miserable with heaving bleeding and pain that I don't do much. However, my co-worker (who had TAH several 12? years ago) said to think of this as a new begining. She felt so much better after her TAH that she began to work out and is now a 6 foot 165 pounds and looks great!! She is my constant reminder that it is in our heads as well as our bodies and hormones--or lack thereof. Keep a great mental outlook and I'll be thinking of you as we both head to the Castle on the 19th!!
Best of Luck
Teresa
Unread 04-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Weight

My doctor has said nothing about my weight being a problem. I am 39 and 40lbs overweight as well. As long as you are healthy they typically don't worry about it. Good luck on the 19th. I'll be thinking of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register