second hernia repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

second hernia repair second hernia repair

Unread 04-05-2005, 08:27 AM
second hernia repair

Hey everyone
Gosh I haven't been around for quite some time now. I had a TAH in January 2003. Ventral hernia repair with complications in2004, and am now 2 weeks out from repair of recurrent ventral hernia.

Has anyone else on this forum had this problem and if so how long did your recovery take from an open hernia repair.

I would love to hear from someone who has had this happen to them.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Karen :hair:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2005, 07:44 AM
second hernia repair

{{{{{{{{{{Karen}}}}}}}} I am so sorry you are going through all of this. where I have not had your experience, I just wanted to send you some s! Hopefully, someone will be around shortly who can give you some advice. Hang in there!

Emily
Unread 04-06-2005, 11:18 AM
second hernia repair

I have never had an open hernia repair but used to take care of patients that did. The average length of time the docs would tell them for recovery was 4-6 weeks. Your doc didn't tell you anything after it was done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Doctor Appt. gone haywire!!!!

Well I went yesterday to my OB GYN who knows me quite well after I dealt with a molar pregnancy in 7/98 with him (cyst removal from ovary just months before) and delivery of my first child only 9 months before the molar preg., then successful pregnancy and delivery 3/02. Soon after diagnosed with fibroid tumor (how do they know thats what it is just from just an ultrasound)?? Massive bleeding with constant clots and last week was a dewsey!! Major headache night before start of period after only 24 days from start of last period. Migraine that morning with constant clotting and bleeding. In the past I had also had prominent abdominal pain right under my ribcage and sternum (middle). I have had gall bladder removed so I was in constant fear that my liver was going. I had taken myself off of the BC pill since I had become abstinent from so much pelvic pain *Endometriosis is thought to be culprit* and heard the hormone could cause the FT to grow. With last weeks episode the GYN wanted me back on pills in massive amounts. The previous week had gone to FAM Dr. with ear infection after chest cold and sinus congestion. NEVER had an ear infection in my life. This FAM Dr. was told all the conditions and history and didn't suggest any information that was contradictive to symptoms. Never said getting off the BC was a problem, didn't say taking the ibuprofen for ear pain and headache would affect the menorrheghia (heavy bleeding) but I was later told both of these may have hindered the outcome. I took BC pills and amoxicillan prescribed at the same time the other day and MAJORMAJOR Severe pain under sternum (couldn't hardly breathe or walk). Still thinking liver damage. Was told yesterday by human resource woman at work she thought hernia. Got to Dr. that afternoon he says the same thing. During exam so much pain I was coming off the table and started to cry. (WE BOTH FELT REALLY BAD ABOUT IT) So for all of this I am going for Abdominal Hysterectomy with Surgeon in attendance to scope for HERNIA, if Endo then removal of ovaries and Oh Yeah, there was a lump that I have to go get my first Mammogram!! What fun Eh? All of this just a month after turning 37. Hopefully I can keep my ovaries but I will not know what is actually done until I come to from the surgery on 4/25. Minimum uterus removed, Max: mastectomy, hernia repair/removal (not sure what they do for this) and TAH BSO. I was looking at 6 weeks max recovery but now I'm not sure if they have to do everything. I don't know if they will do lumpectomy at same time or not. I did call to start giving blood for myself for the surgery in case it is needed. I just went through a coworker dying while waiting for a liver as a result of receiving blood 12 yrs ago for a grain explosion he was in. It was VERY sad to see all he went through and I refuse for it to happen to me. A coworker found this site for me today after the nurse used the TAH SBO term that I guess I heard wrong should be BSO I assume, but this does not reflect my conversation with the doctor yesterday. He agreed to leaving cervix and if no Endo keeping ovaries. Will keep you up to date of findings and results. I was in pain all of today as a result of the exam and I didn't have a clue that would happen. I'm afraid to take meds right before surgery, but I better go get that iron pill in!!
Unread 04-07-2005, 07:19 AM
second hernia repair

Thanks Emily for the warm hugs I sure did miss that.

Yes the doctor told me that he inserted mesh this time around and removed the old mesh from the last repair. He told me 6 weeks no lifting or strenuos activity. Then I should be good to go.

I just didn't expect this kind of exhaustion this time around. We have central mail boxes in our neighbour hood and I get warn out even walking to that and back home. [not a far venture].

As I mentioned the last time I had this done I had complications, my wound had to be opened and then we were into the whole packing and dressings until it healed. This is why I really am not sure how I am supposed to feel at 2 weeks with a hernia repair. Last time went so horrribley wrong, I can't use it as a measuring stick as to how I should feel.

Thanks again for all your help
Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register