found a prolapse today.....am devastated! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

found a prolapse today.....am devastated! found a prolapse today.....am devastated!

Unread 04-05-2005, 11:33 AM
found a prolapse today.....am devastated!

Am almost 1 year out with no real complications. Have been having huge BMs.........no constipation....just very, very difficult to pass. WELL...I found out why! That little voice in my head convinced me to insert a finger into my vagina while I was sitting on the potty this morning (So sorry if TMI...............I was even embarassed to do it in the privacy of my own bathroom....). I discovered a definite prolapse!!!! The moment I pushed on it, the pressure was off my rectum and things came out straight, so to speak.

I am devastated. Have been crying all morning. I know my problems are small, compared to others'....but, this is the pits. I just feel like the surgery was the beginning of a lifetime of falling apart, more things needing repaired, with side effects of more going wrong. Do not even want to call my doc for now, simply because I do not want to know anymore than I already do.

In the meantime, am wondering if I am damaging myself every time I poop. Geez..................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm so sorry

O I'm so sorry, don't be sad, these things are easily fixed.
Not complicated really.
If you are passing stool without pain then you aren't damaging yourself but it would be best to give in and let your doc know what is going on and set an appointment up.
In the meantime.
Buy some sterile non latex gloves from your pharmacy or even finger cots and when you are having a b.m. support the prolapse so you don't strain it further.
Unread 04-05-2005, 12:06 PM

What does a prolapse feel like - - I mean, from the perspective of feeling it with your finger and also from the perspective of having difficult bowel movements? When we're talking difficult bowel movements - - do you mean like really hard straining but no pain? Thanks - - I do have difficult bowel movements sometimes and I just want to make sure what I should look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2005, 12:22 PM

what a scary upsetting feeling --- I know I was really worried I had a prolapse (bladder side) and it is an awful feeling.

Please get to the dr - depending on what stage things are at maybe there is some kind of physical therapy you can do --- I really don't know what the options might be, but I do think that the sooner you get it checkout the better your chances are for a less complicated fix.

I know you feel shocked and scared and you don't want to see the dr - but the news might not be as bad as you fear --- so collect all the hugs we send you and brace yourself to call.

Let us know what the dr says.

Unread 04-05-2005, 01:06 PM

(((Fibroid Woman)))

I hope you get good news from the doctor.

For some of us, the hyst was the start of a new path, not the end of the journey that led us there. Luckily we are in excellent company .. not that any of us would wish medical issues on each other. It is nice to not feel alone and to be supported. Come as often as you like.

If you have been complication free, try not to assume the worst now. Please don't think that you will start falling apart bit by bit. You may have this one issue and never another, at least I hope so!

Keep your doctor well informed as soon as something new or troublesome happens and you will most likely have a better outcome. Remember, knowledge is power. The more you know, the more options you have and ultimately as I said, a better outcome.

While all are welcome here, I hope your journey on this Road is short lived.

Unread 04-05-2005, 04:55 PM

((((FWoman))))

I am so sorry that this has happened. It happened to me too around 1 yr post op from hyst and 6 weeks post op from last adhesion surgery. I also get the bulge in the perianal area (the skin between the vagina and rectum)...so trying to push in both places was extrememly difficult...lol I started taking stool softeners twice a day and drinking lots of water...I can't use the fiber because that causes more pain from my adhesions. So I have to be really careful to keep a good balance. Since they "appeared" to me, I have only had 2 episodes with them. I also found a way to have a BM without splinting...I sit on the toilet with my legs straight out--this puts enough pressure on the prolapsed areas evidentally cause it works for me. Go ahead and make an appt with your doc. The bulge in my perianal area would get so big, I couldn't sit down, felt like I was literally sitting on a tennis ball.

(((Panda))))
You will know if you have one when you examine the inside of your vagina with your finger...you can feel the bulge..and it is usually very hard from stool. When mine came around and when it acts up, having a BM is very very very painful---I remember my daughter came running into my bathroom cause she heard me screaming.
Unread 04-05-2005, 05:43 PM

hi Fibroid woman
I am sorry to hear of your prolapse problem. I am almost 1 year out too. I remember both of us recovering from our hysts about the same time.
I was diagnosed with a very small rectocele in Oct. By Jan. it had became large and my surgery was scheduled. I had a rectocele and enterocele repaired Jan. 25th. At first my gyn thought me doing kegels would keep it from becoming big. It didn't work for me. Maybe the enterocele was just causing me to strain too much and made it worst.
Eat plenty of veggies and fruits and add fiber and stool softener.Don't do anything strainous to make it bigger. My surgery was 1 1/2 hours and was not painful at all.The recovery went very well with no pain.
Please see your dr. and hopefully you can avoid surgery at least for now. Prolapses are quite common after having a hyst. That empty spot allows our organs to slip out of place.

Good luck and I hope all goes well for you.
Peggy
Unread 04-06-2005, 11:36 AM

Thanks so much for all your support. I made an appointment with my doc....was due for my annual exam, anyway. In the meantime, have gotten really serious about Kegels and am doing them religiously (Kinda like shutting the barn door AFTER the horse is out, I know.......but, they cannot hurt!).

And, Marianwrn...........your "splinting" technique works!!!!!! Tried it this morning...sat straight up, legs together and directly in front of me (Didn't lift them, thinking that would cause strain/presssure.). My deposit was made with NO straining....came straight out. I sure hope it works like that every day! I already eat lots of fruits and veggies..............no texture problems.

Since my depressing discovery yesterday, have checked the vault a couple of times. Evidently, the bulge only appeared when a deposit was trying to exit the back chute. Otherwise, it feels normal.

I wish I was 20 years old again, waking to each new day, taking for granted that I'd have no aches, pains, or problems..................and CERTAINLY not obsessing over my bodily functions. Accepting adulthood is like eating an entire elephant...............................one bite at a time.
Unread 04-06-2005, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fibroid Woman
Accepting adulthood is like eating an entire elephant...............................one bite at a time.

first time I've heard that one! you had me laughing out loud.

good luck at your appointment!
Unread 04-06-2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fibroid Woman

And, Marianwrn...........your "splinting" technique works!!!!!! Tried it this morning...sat straight up, legs together and directly in front of me (Didn't lift them, thinking that would cause strain/presssure.). My deposit was made with NO straining....came straight out. I sure hope it works like that every day! I already eat lots of fruits and veggies..............no texture problems.

I am glad to hear it worked for you!!! If I am having a hard time, I will lift them up, but most of the time I lift them and rest them on the tub or the door, depending on what bathroom I am in. That is terrific! I still can't believe I thought of it on my own. DH had told me "why don't you lean forward" OMG--then everything would fall out..lol But it really does splint the bulge by doing the leg thing and has made my life really easy and I hope it continues to make yours easy too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register