Hey 4 weeks ...How's it going? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hey 4 weeks ...How's it going? Hey 4 weeks ...How's it going?

Unread 04-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Hey 4 weeks ...How's it going?

Hi Sisters

I'm at 4 1/2 weeks. I'm feeling pretty good. My biggest complaint is exhaustion. I am tired, tired, tired. I'm back on my treadmill for 15 miniutes. I haven't quite made it up to a mile yet. Just the 15 minutes wears me out. Still not driving not for at least another 2 weeks. I'm going to start doing other excercises and maybe back to lite weights. I'm feeling pretty sore and stiff so I need an energy boost. Although I must say I am secretly bouncing like a ball even if the body isn't able. I have a little pain in my lower right side so I'll take it easy. However I am syked! Because that draggy feeling and constant pain is gone! How are you guy? Hope all is well!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2005, 08:51 AM

Hi there,
So sorry to hear you are not feeling so good....it does take time, not everyone heals at the same rate.....I have days that I'm tired also.
I had my surgery the same day as yourself.....I had a TAH with a vertical incision.....went and had staples removed 10 days post op and have not returned to Dr since....my next appointment is April 14 and I'm returning to work April 18...these 6 weeks have just flown by...too fast...
I feel really good, I have since day 1, I took my last prescription pain meds in the hospital on the 9th before they sent me home....I was only in 2 and 1/2 days post op.....after arriving home I took Advil until the Friday just in case.....and I havent taken anything since.
I did not have ANY bleeding in the hospital or since my surgery.
I have been driving since week 2 and I walk for 30-40 mins everyday.
I don't want to be bragging because frankly I dont even feel like I had surgery and I'm always waiting for this huge bomb to drop....a person can not go through such a big operation and feel so good.....I am not complaining by any means I just feel it is too good to be true......

Waiting for the bomb to drop....lol
Denise
Unread 04-07-2005, 09:13 AM

4 WEEKS TODAY!!
I feel pretty good, I went back to work yesterday, for about 2 hours, that was all I could take, but it felt good to be back in the land of the living.

I have been walking every day since week 2 and I am doing at least 2 miles every day. The weather is gorgeous so that helps the spirits.

I still get very very tired, but that is to be expected!!

Still having trouble w/ the BM's and a titch of discharge.

I feel great, and there are times when I am just sitting there and I forget for a moment that I had this surgery.

The clothes thing is bugging me, it is nice and sunny and I want to wear cute little T-shirts, but cannot cause my belly is still pretty big, man I hope that goes away soon, plus it is sort of funny the right side is much more swollen than the left, I look lopsided, I know they did more work over there, plus the took my appendix - it is on that side, so that probably explains it but it is bothersome!!

I go monday for my 4 week check, and I hope he releases me to resume normal activities. I feel like I have had a textbook recovery. I am so grateful for that, I am very lucky!!!

Hope all the other 4 weekers are doing well. I cant believe we are already there!!!

Rochelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2005, 10:28 AM

I too am 4 weeks today. Feeling pretty good. Still have the giant "roll" over the incision and tend to feel achy at night.

I am also still drinking lots of water, walking every day, eating prunes and having a large "Metamucil Cocktail" at night. BM's can still be a little uncomfortable, but nothing like they were!!

Have been driving since the end of week 2. However, I was put to the test last week. My daughter, who is 2 hours away at college, needed emergency oral surgery. Whats a mother to do when a child is in tears due to pain!! Made the drive out, stayed in a hotel for 1 night, was with her for the surgery (all 4 impacted wisdom teeth with infection), then brought her home. Actually, it wasn't too bad. I think some adrenaline kicked in. I honestly wouldn't have done it if I thought I was a hazard to other drivers. It's amazing what the body can do when put to the test.

Was having a tight, pulling sensation on the right side of my incision (no sharp pain) for awhile, but after walking yesterday, it just stopped and felt much better. I'm thinking maybe the stitches are starting to dissolve and maybe this was just a "tight" area where maybe my doc tied the knot. Anyone else experience this?? If it comes back, I'll call him.

Other than that, I think the key is to pace yourself at this stage of the recovery game. I try to do stuff in the morning, take it easy for a few hours, then can do some more things and be ready to pick up my son from sports.

Am doing well on the Vivelle Dot .05. No symtoms at all. Hope my hormone world doesn't come crashing down upon me!!

Good luck to everyone, and let us know how you are doing.

BarbNJ
TAH + BSO + cervix 3/10/05 47 years old Vivelle Dot .05
Unread 04-07-2005, 10:57 AM

4 weeks tomorrow. I've been driving since the end of week 2 and walking since the end of week 1. The walking has definitely helped the digestive system. I started walking a mile each day in 1/2 mile increments. Then added on as I felt up to it. So far today I've walked 2.5 miles and intend to go at least another 1.5 before bedtime. It certainly helps that it's lighter out later.

I feel pretty energetic most of the time...whole days at a time. Then after about 2 days of "normal" energy, I have a day when I just wake up tired. On those days I don't do anything at all, just read and watch TV and try to get the walks in.

The swelling has receded dramatically, although I do still feel more comfortable in clothes a size bigger than normal.

I have two part time jobs and went back to the telecommuting one this week...I've put in about 6 hours total this week. The other is bus driving and I won't be released for that until I'm at 6 or even 8 weeks...there are some physical skills tests you have to be able to do before you can drive...like drag 100 lbs down the aisle of the bus from front to back in a certain amount of time. I'm not sure when the doctor is going to think I can do that.
Unread 04-07-2005, 11:09 AM

My surgery was May 2nd and I do STILL have small aches and pains and LOTS of gas, and yes I FEEL VERY TIRED.!!!!! I don't think there is nothing we can do but WAIT!!!!

Unread 04-07-2005, 01:57 PM

Hi!

I'm a 3/7 gal too and doing well. I find my stamina is what is lacking right now -- but even that is improving on almost a daily basis. My real turning point was the middle of last week -- I was really sore and tired until mid-week and then all of sudden I perked up.

I'm back up to walking 2+ miles (I almost made 3 today) and doing it at almost the same pace I was pre-surgery. My belly is still somewhat swelly -- got that lovely little overhang over my horizontal incision. My tummy is still generally pretty sore by days end -- feels like a bad sunburn if that makes any sense. And if I walk in the evening (after it's swollen) it feels like I'm walking without a bra -- except it's the belly that's pulling and jiggling not my breasts. Bowels are back to normal and the bladder is different -- but actually in a good way -- I don't feel like I belong in a "gotta go" commercial any more! :-)

Actually had a 4 week appointment with my doc yesterday and she doesn't need to see me again until June (and that's for regular post-cancer followup not surgery). She still wants me to take it easy until 6 weeks and said she'll write me a note if I'm not ready to go back to work full-time at 6 weeks but doesn't need to see me. Actually I do plan to go back April 18th but know my workplace is flexible enough that I can start part-time so I'll have energy for the family when I get home. I'm actually started to work from home this week so I won't feel so inundated when I get back.

I'm on Vivelle .1 and so far so good with that. As a matter of fact I feel pretty darn good -- maybe it's just good to have a steady dose instead of the hormone roller coaster I was on for most of my life. Or maybe without work and my normally hectic schedule I've finally relaxed!

But I am going to have to wean myself off this site -- it's been so nice to sit in my rocking chair with my laptop and wireless connection and "visit" with all the great ladies here.

Nancy-Anne
Unread 04-07-2005, 04:13 PM

Hi! My surgery was 11 March and I was released for home 12 March as the doctor said I was making the other patients feel bad!! I was up and walking around 4 hours after my surgery and kept on walking. I honestly feel so much better - tired towards the end of the day around 2030 hrs. And yes, I too have the swelly belly - not too bad in the mornings but at night it seems to increase. And I have finally stopped waking up 5-6 times during the night and I am able to sleep on my side - funny the things we take for granted. I hope all of you continue doing well on the road to recovery and remember to just take things slowly!!

God bless you all!!

Charlie
TAH/BSO HUGE fibroid tumor and ovarian cysts
Unread 04-07-2005, 04:36 PM

fnc95...I enjoyed your comment. I also was told that I was amazingly active while in the hospital. I had my surgery in the afternoon so I didn't start walking until the next morning. I woke up at 6 am and buzzed the nurse and asked her to take the catheter out. She tried to put me off because it was the end of her shift. After I begged her, she did go ahead and she chuckled "you're going to be a handful today, aren't you?"

So I started walking around right away and kept walking off and on. I still ended up staying 2 days because of the gas. And even then all I could eat was chicken noodle soup before I went home. I think my digestive system didn't really wake up for 4 more days.

I started sleeping on my stomach early in the second week. I found that the pressure of the mattress against my incision was more comfortable.
Unread 04-07-2005, 05:53 PM

I share the 3/7/05 surgery date with a lot of you. Just as I was starting to brag how good I feel I did a few "extra" things today and I am really paying for it.

I feel like I have taken 2 steps back. My stomach has a lot of pressure and swelly belly. I am so bummed. My doctor did say that it really takes about 4 months to build stamina back up, guess he's right.

I am not complaining because I think overall I have done pretty well with no complications. I have been driving since week 2 and getting around pretty good. I guess I need to be more patient and continue taking it easy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register