A & P repair discomfort | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A & P repair discomfort A & P repair discomfort

Unread 04-08-2005, 09:11 PM
A & P repair discomfort

5 days post-op and I am already tired of being sore and uncomfortable. LAVH, TVT, and cystocele/rectocele repair on Monday. My doctor told me I could possibly go back to work at 2 weeks post-op. Hahaha! I can't even sit for any period of time. I am glad that I requested 6 weeks (after talking with some of my nursing peers that work in surgery). Any suggestions for comfort? I am taking my stool softeners, sitz baths, and trying to stick with ibuprofen for pain to avoid the constipating side effects of prescribed narcotics. Don't mean to sound whiney, but as a nurse, I guess I am not a good patient. My physician made it sound like this would be so much easier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2005, 09:44 PM
A & P repair discomfort

not to sound discouraging or anything, just sharing my experience---i had discomfort from the rectocele repair well into the 5th post-op month. It was more discomfort, pressure, and heaviness rather than pain.
Unread 04-08-2005, 10:31 PM
A & P repair discomfort

Hi,

Sorry you are having pain . I had rectocele repair with my TVH and the repair was the worst thing. I could not sit for almost 6 weeks. I sat on a pillow or lounged on the sofa a lot. I took Motrin because of the meds that caused constipation. I had to take Metamucil 2x a day to keep things working good for a month or more.

I had no idea it would be so uncomfortable and more than the hyst. The hyst was nothing really.

Hang in there it does start healing and getting better around the 5th week.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2005, 11:05 PM
A & P repair discomfort

Well first of all I am sorry to hear you are having pain. Second take the full 6 weeks off! I am 8 months post op and am still a bit sore now and then from my a & p repairs. Some days are better than others. I know exactly what you mean about not being able to sit. That wont last too much longer. I felt more discomfort more than out right pain. I found that sitting on my heating pad.....and it sounds retarded.........helped a lot! They never gave me a sitz bath but they did send my mother home. I thought a sitz bath was to help with perineal incisions. I had one of those with my hysterectomy but never used a sitz. I convinced my mom to let hers go and clean off with a squirt bottle of water after she goes pee or poop. I found the heating pad to be the best thing for my pain.

(((((HUGS)))))

I hope you get to feeling better soon!
Unread 04-09-2005, 12:15 AM
A & P repair discomfort

Can't believe your doctor said its possible to go back to work at 2! I have my jobs lined up for the 6 week mark, and feel it would be pushing it for me to go any sooner. I had tvh and BSO w/ anterior and posterior repair. My doc warned me it would be a good 6 weeks+ to start feeling better. And more like 6 months for healing inside. I am a little past 3 weeks, and today was a day where I felt pretty good, sore..but not much pain. When I left hospital I got off the narcotics and have weaned myself down to small amount of ibuprofen now..mostly for the anti inflammatory effects. I too use a heating pad, but also take 1-2 sitz baths a day. My doctor really recommended it for healing. I also use the peri bottle after going to the bathroom to stay clean. A friend of mine had the same exact surgery 2 years ago...and said it took her a good 6-12 months to heal from the repairs. The hysterectomy was the easy part.

I also have found moving around and not staying in one position too long helps. I am now able to sit at the computer without sitting on the side of my leg or on a donut!
Unread 04-09-2005, 05:37 AM
A & P repair discomfort

Hi gals
Ya know its really odd but I think they must do the a & p repairs differently over here in the UK.
I had my repairs and VH 4 weeks ago and have found it all surprisingly pain free. There were women in the hospital who just had the repair work done and no hyster and they were up and in their jeans the next day!
I know they dont do an episiotomy here, its like an inside out one with all the stitches inside, I know its all been done and I am finally bulge free but I really dont feel like I have had anything done.
I really wish all you lovely ladies were feeling as good. I'm not gloating, I just wonder why they use diferent procedures over there.
Alison
Unread 04-09-2005, 04:36 PM
A & P repair discomfort

alilou, It's not just in the UK because my doc was also a miracle worker. I have never felt a single thing from the rectocele repair. I really do wonder if there are different ways that this procedure is done. It seems the norm to have a ton of discomfort and pain. My doc did warn me prior to surgery that I wasn't going to like it very much so maybe some of us just react different?
Unread 04-09-2005, 06:42 PM
A & P repair discomfort

Im another one saying not just the UK. I also had the A & P repairs with the hysterectomy, bladder redone and a vault rebuilt.
I thought they suspended the bladder but the procedure they used here was securing it in the pelvic floor.
I was expecting pretty uncomfortable sitting and have absolutely nothing. Even had a donut ready for sitting on.
I have inner perineal stiches which were testy buggers at 2 weeks but have since softened and tucked up into vagina so they are not irritating at all.
I find the inner tissue where Id say the ovarys are are my most painful still at 4 weeks. Yet from what this site has taught me its where all the sutures are from the hysterectomy and the vault rebuilt and attached in there somewhere.

I really found 2 stool softeners a day helped and lots of water.

Im sorry your uncomfortabe.

Wishing You Speedy Healing

lucy
Unread 04-09-2005, 09:38 PM
A & P repair discomfort

I suppose we all react differently to things, and I'm sure the procedures vary by doctors and not necessarily regions.

I had a TAH, BSO, and posterior repair on 3-21-05. I have not experienced any problems with sitting, or pain from the posterior repair. Mostly now it's just having a sore tummy that seems to be slowly getting a bit better each day, and I do notice that I am more sore on each side, where someone mentioned that there are many sutures from the surgery.

Sorry to hear that you're having so much pain. I've been just sticking to ibuprophen for the past couple of week for pain when I need it, more often if I drive, as the bumps in the road still seem to bother me some.

Please rest and take care of yourself!

Cathy
Unread 04-10-2005, 01:18 PM
A & P repair discomfort

After looking at the area of discomfort, apparently there are two large stitches holding the labia open. (hope this is not to graphic). Everytime I move, sit, stand, lay, it pulls! I see the doctor for my 1 week check-up tomorrow. I hope these stitches are going to be clipped. I am getting depressed. The only thing DH can say is "I don't feel sorry for you. I told you that you didn't have to go through with the surgery!" As the mother of 4 children (ages 17 to 4), and work full-time, this staying at home, not being able to move without feeling like my lower unit is going to rip open is driving me crazy. DH keeps asking me if I want to go for a ride, but I can't sit without the stitches pulling. I'm so sorry to be whining!!!!! Since my physician seemed to think I could go back to work two weeks after surgery, I am hoping to feel 150% better this next week. Thank you for all of your support! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register