How much time off from work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much time off from work? How much time off from work?

Unread 02-10-2001, 02:42 PM
How much time off from work?

Hi, I am scheduled for a BSO(?) next month. I did not ask a lot of questions at the time like how much recovery time is needed. After reading these posts, I am starting to panic. I teach school and had planned to only take two weeks off from work. That doesn't seem reasonable after doing some more research. How much time is needed, even in the best of recovery situations? We are not in a financial situation to afford for me to be off of work that long and I am thinking I need to postpone until summer. My health situation is not dire and I could wait until then. I was hoping to be able to be home alone while the kids are at school for a little of the recovery time! I'd appreciate any help with this. I have learned so much with this website! Thanks so much for sharing all of your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2001, 04:36 PM

Sara, most of your recovery time, depends on how extensive your surgery is.. If you aren't having a total hyst, then 2-3 wks may be all the time you'll need to be off. Might be a good idea to call your Dr., and ask for a specific estimation. Remember that you won't be able to do any lifting for a while. If you're not very concerned about having surgery, soon. It may be wise to wait, unless, your Dr., feels that things need immediate attention. Your health is your first priority, so don't postpone treatment, if you're experiencing alot of discomfort. In the long run it's really not worth it. Good Luck, Roz
Unread 02-10-2001, 05:34 PM

A teacher, Sarah? What grade? Such a noble profession... as well as challenging these days. After reading your post I'd have to say that if you can wait a little bit till that summer break comes along you may be better prepared for whatever recovery time you may need. None of ever know in advance just how long we'll need, but the RULE OF THUMB is 6 weeks minimum! That's why the doc says to you on your final day in the hospital, "See ya in 6 weeks kiddo".

An abdominal hysterectomy requires more time then the vaginal hyster as far as recovery time goes. I'm not sure what you're having. Both are considered major surgery. I'd say you should definatly plan on 6 weeks, minimum. You will not be fully recovered by any means, but the normal demands on your life will be more bearable by then. I suspect you're on your feet a lot if you're a teacher so keep that in mind. Better safe then sorry. You're fortunate in that you have that summer break to play with.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. but, that 6 weeks is really a blessing in disguise. Think of all the time you'll get to spend in the hystersister boards telling allll the ladies how great you feel??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2001, 05:40 AM

I'm also a teacher (art 2nd, 5th and photography 10th,11th ,12th). I'm in a great private school and often have at least 3 free periods a day (and some days 4 or 5)! I taught in public school for years and yes I know how lucky I am. I was told NO LESS than 6 weeks and my doctor said he always adds 2 weeks for teachers so I will be out for 8 total. "Luckily" it falls during Easter and spring breaks so I'll only miss about 6 weeks of actual school. I know how hard this can be financially. it's putting stress on us too, but you need to do what is best for you. I read somewhere (maybe in the Hyster sister book) about a woman who pushed too hard because her job was demanding and she ended up out for more time than if she had just taken what she needed post op. I also considered scheduling over the summer but my doc said he would prefer now and emotionally I'm glad I'm not going to be a lady in waiting that long. Check about short term disability, (I'm using all my 29 accumulated sick days but they explained disability to me). Our church also straight out asked us if we needed financial help. Don't be proud, you need to do whats best for you. Incidentally I'm only 32 and in really great health so if anything my recovery should be shorter than average. Just my 2 cents...
Unread 02-11-2001, 06:21 AM

Hi! I'm a teacher also! My DR. said 8 weeks (TAH/BSO, bladder repair)but if I am lucky and feel better sooner, maybe 6 weeks. I told my principal this and she said they were getting the long term sub for the full 8 weeks so not to worry about it. Fortunately I have plenty of accumulated sick days so I do not need to worry about that piece. Even if we waited until after school gets out this year (end of June) I am usually in school no later than mid August (usually earlier)getting ready for next year with lots of lifting and moving of furniture, dragging boxes out, moving books around and on and on, so I would be really pushing myself. I also think that for me, that waiting time would drive me over the edge. Good luck with your decision, but remember that YOUR health is important and how you are feeling can affect your students as well as your family. My wonderful co-workers have to keep reminding me not to feel guilty and that my health and piece of mind are important. Talk with your doctor again, weigh all your options, and make the best choice for you. Again, good luck, and I will be thinking of you.
Unread 02-11-2001, 07:36 AM

I already feel better about the whole thing, just reading your messages! I know I can get lots of support here! I teach 3rd grade in a private school. I only have 5 days of paid time off left for the year. I had not considered the summer issue and going back to school. We start back in early August and I spend at least 3 weeks prior to that getting prepared like you said, hauling boxes, books, etc. We also have a home business, a resort on a lake, and summer is our busiest time. My husband does most of the work now, but guess who would be watching the 3 kids all under the age of 9, while he is working! I am going to try and keep my surgery date, March 20, if at all possible. I think my parents will help out with finances if we get in a big bind. (Thank goodness for parents) I am 34 and am in pretty good shape now. I have lost 28 pounds over the last 6 months and feel like I can have a pretty good recovery.
Do you fellow teachers think I can possibly work 1/2 day after a couple of weeks? We have several special classes with other teachers that would give me a break in the mornings for a little while. I agree that I do not want to be a lady in waiting any longer than I have to. A month is giving me time to get my act together! I am going to use all of spring break to prepare for school and get my house in shape. I tried to schedule the surgery for spring break, but my dr is taking his own spring break then. I really appreciate this site and the support. I had no idea that I would be able to chat with other women in this situation and get so much reassurance! Thanks again.
Sarah
Unread 02-11-2001, 08:04 AM

Hi again! I do know of one teacher who started back half days at 5 or 6 weeks, but her school kept her substitute on full days during that time. The sub did all the running, lifting, and all those "other" things we do, and the teacher got to work with her class without over doing it. Do you think your school would consider that as a possible option for you?
Unread 02-11-2001, 02:55 PM

In our school I can't go back until my Dr. writes that I'm available for "full duties". I can't come to the school to catch up on paperwork or anything! The business mananger said it had to do with liability and disability. If I went back when I felt up to it and it was too early the school could be responsible for paying disability. I asked about going back 1/2 days at first and they said "no, it's all or nothing" hence the 8 week return date. You may want to check with the head of human resources to see if there is a similar policy in place at your school. In my previous job (I ran a photgraphy studio) the 1/2 day thing was not an issue at all (I've had 3 surgeries in this past year and have missed a lot of work recouperating). Best of luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register