4 days post-op. 2 days on climara. Need feedback. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 days post-op. 2 days on climara. Need feedback. 4 days post-op. 2 days on climara. Need feedback.

Unread 02-10-2001, 03:56 PM
4 days post-op. 2 days on climara. Need feedback.

Hi,

Just had a LVH 4 days ago. Started climara patch 2 days ago (.05) Got rid of the ovaries due to avoid risk of ovarian cancer so I'm not doing progesterone.

Not feeling all that great. Would like to hear from others on climara w/o progesterone. What should I expect? What should I be on the lookout for?

Also, is anyone taking testosterone / androgens? (clearly I'm not mean enough and thought some of that would help). Actually my doc apparently has had good success with that mix.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2001, 04:44 PM

Hello snowwhite,
I had a tah/bso on 12/08...so i'm 9 weeks post op..I am also on the climara patch,it has been great for me so far..but I found that I needed alittle help in the libido area..so my dr prescribed estratest for me,to take along with the patch..estratest is estrogen and testosterone.I have only been on the estratest for a little while so I have to wait and see how that works with me..but I am hoping this is it for me.You have only been on the patch for a couple of days..it might take awhile to get adjusted..so be patient with yourself.You said you weren't feeling that great..About what? Your hormones or your healing?At 4 days you will be very emotional,and probably still alittle pain to deal with still.Everyone is different,especially with the hrt.Oh another thing you might want to know about the patch...I did get a little rash under the patch...but it don't itch for me,but for somewomen it does itch..if this happens call your dr right away.
I hope I helped alittle.Please keep me informed on how you are doing ok.

Kathy
tah/bso 12/08 fybroids/adeno
30 years old
Unread 02-10-2001, 09:36 PM

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the response and yes it did help some.

Regarding not feeling well, the answer is both. The healing is going slowly; still in a lot of pain (surgery involved removing a very large fibroid). Hormonally I'm all over the place. I knew getting rid of the ovaries was going to be difficult (and it is!!!!) but was too afraid of the risks to keep them. It was a hard decision and I hope I made the right one.

As you mentioned, I've only been on the patch for a couple of days (started Thursday afternoon). You said it might take awhile to get adjusted. How long was your 'while'? (knowing everyone is different).

I haven't gotten a rash under the patch but there it is itching just above the patch. First there was a little redness which I thought was where I had scratched the itchy spot; now there's a little bump that looks like a small bug bite (about 1/2 inch above the patch; patch is on upper buttocks). Not sure what to make of it. Am calling Dr's office Monday morning.

Thanks again for your response. Will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2001, 10:35 AM

Snowwhite,
I had a LAVH/BSO on Jan 2 due to a LARGE pedunculated fibroid and 4x enlarged uterus. I, like you, had my ovaries removed due to the risk of ovarian CA (I am a cancer registrar so I KNOW!). Anyway, I was put on Climara patch in recovery - 0.1 mg. My first week was rough also - pain even though you only have tiny incisions! You still had major surgery inside and it takes time to heal. One week after my surgery, I did NOT feel well - severe insomnia, nervous feeling (like I could jump out of my skin), a constant headache and just not 'feeling well.' I found this website and read about progesterone. I purchased some creme (which is NATURAL USP PROGESTERONE) and started using it twice daily. I IMMEDIATELY began to feel better. I called my doc and he said to use it until I came in for my post op visit. At my postop visit, he told me he really did not know alot about natural progesterone creme but that it could not hurt me (even though I do not have a uterus) and the only side effect was sleepiness! Anyway, I still use it and I also cut my patch in half (doctor's suggestion to see if my headaches went away) and now I am feeling GREAT! No headaches, I can sleep like a baby again and if I get that 'nervous feeling' I know it's time for some progesterone creme. Some days I use it once and some days twice. Sometimes I wonder if this is all in my head but I figure if it makes me feel good, the doctor says it's okay and won't hurt me, then I'm going to use it!
I hope this helps. I don't know much about testosterone - my libido has improved on the progesterone creme - yippee!
If you want to contact me about the creme, I'd be glad to tell you more. Feel free to email me. Good luck!
Unread 02-12-2001, 03:00 PM

Hi Snowwhite it's Kathy again,This is in response to your question about how long did it take me to get adjusted with the patch.Well right after my surgery I was put on premerin for two weeks,that didn't go so well...So my dr put me on the climara patch..it's has been about 7 weeks now with the patch.It took about 2 weeks for me to feel better with the patch..and now I am trying estratest for my libido.I have noticed a change..but it's to soon to really know.Give yourself time and try to be patient(I am not the most patient person myself)I know it's easier said than done...but try ok.I wish you well..and hope this goes good for you.

Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register