Something I noticed about my bathroom issues .............. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Something I noticed about my bathroom issues .............. Something I noticed about my bathroom issues ..............

Unread 04-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Something I noticed about my bathroom issues ..............

Ok, well, I guess this is yet another question about hemorroids. (Again, I am sorry if this is TMI.) I have noticed that when my stool is hard, I still bleed, even though I have been using the Annusol supp. for like 5 days now. As long as my stool is soft or loose, I have no bleeding. I did not have a BM yesterday, so today my stool was harder and I had to strain some. I did not notice (upon looking) any blood in my stool, not even any on it really, it was just there when I wiped. If this really is the hemmies, am I ever going to be able to get rid of them. I am so tired or all the worry that this brings. I actually think some of my problem is that I am afraid to go to the bathroom, so therefore, I am making things worse on myself. I am tired of worriying that I have colon cancer or something, even though my doctor says that I would be presenting differently if that were the case. I know I have to trust her.
Something else I noticed, when I put that suppository in, it hurts, like right there at the opening, is that normal in general, or normal for someone with hemmies.

Again ladies, I am sorry to be beating a dead horse here, so to speak, I guess I just worry too much ............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2005, 03:01 PM

(((Jenny))) since my colon surgery I get hemmorhoids really easily, both internally and externally It's not as bad now as it was the first year after the surgery, when I'd sometimes see stool covered with red bloodstains... the DR told me that was fresh blood from the internal hemmorhoids.

I find that if I take a stool softener with breakfast and dinner every day, they're not as bad. When I have them internally, I use Preparation H suppositories. For the external ones, Dermoplast spray and/or Fleet pain relief wipes help when they hurt or itch, because they numb the area temporarily

I have also had some success with a homeopathic hemmorhoid remedy. There are a couple of brands at my local health food store and they both seem to contain the same ingredients. I dissolve a couple under my tongue every few hours and it seems to help shrink the hemmorhoids

I hope this helps... I understand how you would be worried and frustrated.
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Re: Something I noticed about my bathroom issues ..............

Quote:
Originally posted by jennyleigh1975
[b]I actually think some of my problem is that I am afraid to go to the bathroom, so therefore, I am making things worse on myself./B]
When my DS, then 4 yo, was dealing with an anal fissure, he would actually be afraid of having a BM... so he'd retain and then would end up constipated and in additional pain. What a vicious cycle!!! His doctor put him on both Colace and glycerine suppository, in addition to using Annusol, and it made a world of difference. Within a few weeks, all was ok and he was back to his happy, regular self.

I also have a problem with hemmorrhoids and constipation definately makes things worse: straining not only causes the hemmorhoids to bleed, it also causes them to swell, resulting in additional pain. And, just like you described it, the pain and the blood are right there, at the entrance of the annus and just outside.

Keeping regular is one of the therapies suggested to keep the hemmorhoids at bay.

I know how frustrating, painful and scary this can all be. Hang in there, hopefully it will improve within a reasonable time. If the pain and bleeding remain, please, do go back to the doctor's: when they are too severe, hemorrhoids can be treated surgically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2005, 09:48 AM

Jenny,

The reason you are bleeding when your stool is hard is because the hard stool is harder to push through and it irritates the hemmies causing them to bleed. Hemmies also will swell and hurt like the ****ens, especially after a hard BM and this is what is causing the pain when using the suppositories. Have you talked to the doc about taking Colace (stool softener)? I think this will help a lot. The best thing to do is to make sure that your stools stay soft, not hard.
Unread 04-10-2005, 07:57 PM

Yes, my doctor has told me to do fiber and use Colace if I need it. I guess I am just afraid that the Colace will make me too loose or the fiber will make it to hard. Is surgery the only thing they can do for hemmies?
Unread 04-10-2005, 08:12 PM

I just asked my DR that question last week... she said, if you can render them not bothersome, that's great, but the only way to make them go away is to have them removed (day surgery). Since at this point I can get mine to where they don't bother me most of the time, I'm electing to keep them for now.

s,
-Linda
Unread 04-10-2005, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jennyleigh1975
Yes, my doctor has told me to do fiber and use Colace if I need it. I guess I am just afraid that the Colace will make me too loose or the fiber will make it to hard. Is surgery the only thing they can do for hemmies?
The Colace won't make you have the runs or anything, it just makes it soft, not loose and that is what you need with your hard stool issues. It is not a laxative, just makes your stool softer. The fiber can be used if you are becoming constipated to help move the bowels along.
Surgery is the only thing that will get rid of them yes, but if you can make it so they don't bother you or bleed, I say leave well enough alone at this point.
Unread 04-10-2005, 08:33 PM

((((Janet)))) While I've never used Colace personnally, my DS did. The Colace didn't make his stools loose, just made them soft.

My experience with fiber has always been that it helps keep me regular. With the fiber I use (Metamucil) it is important to drink lots of water, preferably at room temperature, while using the product. It didn't make my stools harder, but it did help to keep things moving regularly. Constipation will also worsen the hemerrhoids, not only be cause the stools become harder, but also because as you get impacted, it seems that you have to strain more to get things moving.

And, yes, unfortunately, the only way to definatively get rid of hemmorrhoids is through surgery Thankfully, I've got mine under control, to the point that they now bother me only very rarely.
Unread 04-11-2005, 09:43 PM

Can what you eat affect the color of your BM'S?

PS ....... My name is Jenny.
Unread 04-11-2005, 10:10 PM

Yep... this link has a list of things that can cause different colored stools:

http://www.ohiohealth.com/healthrefe...gory=questions

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register