Anyone who began Kegels AFTER rectocele? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone who began Kegels AFTER rectocele? Anyone who began Kegels AFTER rectocele?

Unread 04-11-2005, 01:34 AM
Anyone who began Kegels AFTER rectocele?

Am curious..................recently started performing Kegels religiously. Since, have lower back pain...kinda burning..........that radiates to both hip bones. Am hoping it's soreness from my new exercizes, and not a symptom of worsening enterocele. Have a scheduled doc appointment next week.

Have not had back pain since my TAH, when I was freed of several enormous fibroids.

Anybody relate? Do Kegels cause this type of pain when done after prolapse?.......................Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2005, 07:56 PM

i have just registered on this site because my question is similar to yours ! i had a hysterectomy and bladder repair last year, and a enterocele and rectocele repair last month. naturally i want to prevent any more repairs. i have great difficulty locating the correct muscles for kegel exercises, so thought i might get some advice here. i have seen devices advertised. i dont think i will start anything yet as i am still feeling sore but would like to know anyones experiences. by the way i have been reading the site for ages and have found great help and advice over the last year or so, thank you !!!
Unread 04-12-2005, 07:23 AM

One thing you can do is talk to your GYN about setting you up with a physical therapist to help strengthen those muscles. I am going to PT for constant spasms of my pelvic floor muscles...so I think that would be the best bet for you.
If you dont' want to go that route....an easy way to know you are doing it is do them while you are peeing. Start the flow and then make it stop and start it again and do this over and over during the void. That is basically what they are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2005, 07:31 PM

I have been going for Pelvic Therapy for a few years now, mainly to try and resolve incontinence issues, but also to sthrenghten my pelvic floor that has become very week due to:
  • giving birth, vaginally, to two large babies
  • the huge fibroid and enlarged uterus that led to the hyst
  • the vaginal hyst with repairs

One of the things that my therapist explained was that it is not only possible to do ineffective kegels, it is also possible to actually do damage when you're using the wrong muscles This could be what is happening.

One of the things that my therapist believes is that all hyst patients should be sent for PT after their surgery in order to prevent possible prolapses and bladder issues. It's so much easier to prevent than to repair

((((Deb))))) If what you're doing is causing additional pain, please, stop doing those movements. For one thing, once the prolapse has occurred, doing Kegels won't correct the problem and the prolapse may be causing you to use the wrong muscles.

Sending tons of s your way. I do hope that you find answers and relief very soon.
Unread 04-12-2005, 11:31 PM

That makes perfect sense, Dany.

I am, naturally, having continued feelings of anger about all this. Nobody to blame, really......but, knowing what I do now, it would have been helpful had my doc relayed the importance of preventing this. I was very careful....far beyond his..."It's been 6 weeks, so you can do anything now that your cuff is healed".....for an additional 2-3 months, especially at work.

Even though I am a nurse, this type of education escaped me. So, I am also feeling like I let myself down.

Am so very fortunate to have this site to come to, and all the sisters, like you.

I quit the Kegel's. Guess I dove into those, hoping I could prevent additional damage. My back stopped hurting after I stopped the exercizes...................Deb
Unread 04-13-2005, 07:18 PM

(((((Deb)))))) I don't think you can blame yourself for this prolapse As far as knowing about the PT, well, from what I've seen, gyns do not routinely refer their patients for this type of therapy: it's most likely to be a uro gyn or urologist who will refer you (I was referred by my gynecologist).

Maybe this is one area where we could educate our caregivers
Unread 04-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Doing PT for pelvic

Hi Dany,

I will be seeing a urogynecologist in about a week and one of the things I did want to ask was about doing the PT for the pelvic muscles. Where do you go for this type PT? I broke my leg and went to PT for awhile. Would PT for the pelvic floor muscles be the same kind of place or is that type PT done in the doctor's office?

I started trying to do Kegels and also, have noticed lower back pain. My problem is not with incontinence but I can't tell exactly when I need to go and hold it way too long and then when I do go it's sore afterwards.

I really need to do some muscle toning exercises down there. I know it will help with the blood flow and help resolve my scar tissue.

Thanks.

Poofy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register