What did your doctor tell you after your surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What did your doctor tell you after your surgery? What did your doctor tell you after your surgery?

Unread 04-11-2005, 04:06 PM
What did your doctor tell you after your surgery?

I was told by my doctor (with whom I don't have a good relationship to begin with due to some medication issues) that I could not lift MORE than 25 lbs (everything else is ok) for 6 weeks and no going back to work until 4 weeks. That's all he told me.

I got all the other information from this website... or otherwise I would be trying to mop the kitchen floor (it needs it) and think that I should be able to do so much more than sit around.

I read that so many of you ladies doctor's have said different things. What do you think about this 25lb limit? Isn't that a lot?
I don't even have the stitches out (I'll get them out tomorrow, day 6).

I am following the guidelines given here. Quite frankly, I think my doctor is an uncaring pri**. Yes, I wish I could switch, but I know that my insurance would NOT go for that.

Thanks for any ideas you can give me what your doctors have told you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2005, 04:30 PM

Yikes....25 pounds is way too much before or after six weeks! I say lift nothing heavier than your purse for the first six weeks. I wasn't given an exact amount of what not to lift, just don't lift anything heavy. I'm curious what the other sisters have to say.
Unread 04-11-2005, 04:31 PM

My dr. just told me to not lift, and take it easy. Being male, I think he just assumed that I knew that meant not to do anything.
ie - when my DH says he is going to take it easy he means he is going to sit on couch and watch tv. LOL.

Maybe the Dr leaves it up to the hospital staff to pass on the instructions? Either way, it was very vague.

Even today at my 6 wk checkup I had to specifically ask what he meant by "you can get back to normal, other than lifting".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2005, 04:35 PM

My doc gave permission to do whatever I felt I could do whenever I felt I could do it EXCEPT intercourse. (I had TAH)

She said, "you'll hear lots of things about limits you should obey, but everyone heals differently, so listen to your own body."

I've been cautious anyway. And, hey, any excuse NOT to vacuum is always fine by me!

I'll be headed back to work next week at the 4-week mark, though I feel like I could go now (but I won't!)

Best wishes as you recover!
Unread 04-11-2005, 04:39 PM

P.S. - I found lifting a 10 lb bag of potatoes, or a bottle of laundry detergent was overdoing it, so I think 25 lbs is rather unrealistic.
Unread 04-11-2005, 04:40 PM

25 lbs. sounds way too much. My md (female) specified that I couldn't even lift the laundry basket. At some point I heard a gallon of milk was the limit which weighs 8 lbs. When I went back last week she specified that HEAVY lifting was off limits for quite a while. Everything else was ok (except sex) and I'm even free to go back to work. Again, sometimes we have to ask exactly what they mean and to give detailed instruction. I would rather look stupid, than actually be stupid to do something out of ignorance.
Unread 04-11-2005, 04:59 PM

My Dr said nothing over 5-10lbs. at my 3 week check he said I could go up to 20lbs.
Unread 04-11-2005, 05:13 PM

My dr just said if it hurts don't do it. I do know that I have a limit when returning to work of no more than 25 - 30 lbs. I've been careful about what I do - no lifting if it feels heavy (no carrying laundry out to the line, lifting groceries etc.) Have swept the kitchen floor, but it's small and I used small sweep movements. I'm just at the two week mark and feel really good. Was at the computer for all afternoon (lost track of time) working on boy scout camp stuff and now I'm tired - so off to the recliner for a couple of hours of rest (so nice to say I need to rest and then really do it!!).

Take care, listen to your body and your dr.,
JAS
Unread 04-11-2005, 05:19 PM

i was told nothing over 10 pounds for 6-8 weeks
Unread 04-11-2005, 05:31 PM

same as Janefairfax's comments. My doctor said no more than 20 pounds, but to listen to your body... if it hurts don't do it..and get back to resting. I was NOT READY to be lifting much the first few weeks, so the 20# didn't even enter my mind! It is interesting how opinions and instructions vary! My surgeon is very experienced, and has done alot of these types of surgeries. He told me it would take alot to do damage to the surgery areas/stitches. Except for sex..he said that was a definite no for a definite 6 weeks. Another varying opinion is on driving. My doc said I could drive as soon as I was completely off narcotics, and had no pain with gas pedal or braking. Definite safety issue, not as much to do with damaging repaired area.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register