Need help with swelling feet and legs | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need help with swelling feet and legs Need help with swelling feet and legs

Unread 04-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Need help with swelling feet and legs

any suggestions as to how to get them to go down (and stay down) would be appreciated. I am walking - but the swelling is painful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2005, 10:39 PM

Hi Sandy

Have you talked to your dr. about the legs & feet swelling? I'm just curious if you did because I wasn't aware that this is a usual post-op problem after a hyster. My drs. never said anything and I have lymphedema in the legs, which didn't seem to concern them as far as this surgery went and post-op, so I'm wondering what your dr. has said.

Please call your dr. first and if he/she isn't concerned about this problem, PM me. I do have easy things I can share for you to do to help the leg swelling that my primary dr. (internal med) and physical therapist went over with me to help my leg lymphedema. But please call your dr. about this first.

Take care. Let me know what happens. I know how painful that can be. s
Unread 04-12-2005, 11:25 PM

Hi Sandy,

I agree with Terri. You need to ask your dr about this. I don't know if I have seen this before. It isn't mentioned much on here if it is occurring, but isn't a good thing especially if it is so bad it hurts to walk.
Maybe someone will see this and can share some personal experience. Please let us know what you find out and how you are.

's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2005, 09:01 AM

I have seen and called the Dr - they keep saying elevate legs and it will go away with time....
Unread 04-13-2005, 10:14 AM

I would ask them about the possibility of lymphedema or venous insufficiency. There are many large veins and lots of lymph nodes in the pelvis, and they can be altered by a hysterectomy. They're right in that elevation and time can improve these conditions, but they are not always reversible.

Unfortunately, a lot of doctors do not understand lymphedema, particularly in the legs . I've been dealing with it for nearly ten years, increasingly since my surgery, and I've often found myself educating my doctors about treatment.

You might want to ask about physical therapy from a therapist who deals with lymphedema. They're not that common, but you can call around and get some names from your local hospital. They can show you techniques to help the swelling IF you're dealing with lymphedema.

You might also ask your doctor if it's OK to wear compression hose (Spenco makes some that are available in some pharmacies). I wear them 7 days a week, and they help with the achiness a bit.

Hope this helps,

Audrey
Unread 04-16-2005, 09:05 AM

I have to say my surgeon's NP is GREAT!

The swelling in the legs/feet occurs for one of two reasons - not doing enough or doing too much (in my case it was too much).

Her recomendations (which worked beautifully) were as follows:

(1) At one week post op I should be walking about 20-30 minutes/day. This can be broken up into smaller 'periods' but what they are after is the total each day.

(2) Elevate feet above heart and unless you are going to the bathroom or walking - stay that way. I spent 2 days in bed with three pillows under my knees/legs.

(3) Up fluids and drink only water - no juice soda etc

(4) Watch your salt intake (and there is salt in just about everything)... so read the labels and put the salt shaker away for the time being. I have always reacted to any 'normal' amount of salt in food - I don't even own a salt shaker (seriously) . I haven't "used" salt in 30 years since my dad was diagnosed with pulmonary edema - never had it growing up. So if I 'eat out' and they use even 'normal' amounts' - I reacted to it. My DH brought home Greek food the night before I 'blew up' - and we think this added to the problem.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register