desk work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-13-2005, 04:06 PM
desk work

i work at home as a freelance copyeditor and am trying to resume work gradually. i have been sitting for up to 3 hours and now find i am paying the price! also, i reached up on a closet shelf and had excruciating pain in my left side adjacent to my navel for 2 days. have i caused permanent damage?

I had LAVH with BSO on March 14.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2005, 04:21 PM
desk work

Sue,
No permanent damage I assure you. I went through the same thing. Your muscles are not strong and are very easily pulled when doing something strenuous (as just an easy stretch). I had a pain in my right side, close to my navel for quite some time, but it has subsided. Sitting for periods of time is tiresome. You will be ok. Take it slow.....NO STRETCHING. Sooner than you think, things will feel better. All you have to do is "stop" when your body tell you to.

~Christine
Unread 04-13-2005, 04:42 PM
desk work

Hi Sue,

I'm a graphic designer (desktop publisher). I brought my work station home so that I could return to work at a gradual pace during the course of my 6 weeks at home. I did find that at first the best I could do was sit at the computer for about 3 hours a day, then I'd have to have a nap and a short walk. I found that a first-aid ice pack was great against my belly while sitting upright. I'm on the fluffy side, and I had a bikini line incision, so sitting did put strain on my surgical wound.

When I returned to the office full time, I found myself pretty worn out at the end of 8 hours of work plus commute. My advice is that if your work is able to be interrupted/set aside throughout the day, you'll be more comfortable. I was significantly anemic pre-op, so I had a long road to recover from that chronic fatigue. I'm almost a year post-op now, and I still miss the afternoon naps I had during recovery!

By the way, if you'll update your profile with your surgery date and your signature line with your surgical info, it will make it easier to see at a glance where you're coming from and save you the time of explaining it when you post questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2005, 08:29 PM
desk work

thanks so much for your encouragement. i thought i might be in trouble with adhesions or pulling internal stitches out! this forum is wonderful. should be on the prescription given by surgeon upon hospital release. best to all!!
Unread 04-13-2005, 10:30 PM
desk work

One other thing you may or may not have read about here already:

"Zingers"

This can be sharp pain that apparently happens for no reason. I would get them at different times throughout the day, and I never could find them to be attached to either movement or sitting perfectly still. These aren't gas pains - I knew what those felt like.

The best I can understand of them is that one's insides are finding new resting places once their fibroid laden buddy is gone.

I had these 'zingers' for almost 4 months post-op.
Unread 04-14-2005, 07:00 AM
desk work

yes, i think i have had some "zingers" too, worse than post-op pain for me, but lasting for hours. that's why i thought i might have done somethung permanent. thanks for your help!
Unread 04-14-2005, 07:11 AM
desk work

Hi Suesallysue,

I had my TAH/BSO a week earlier than you and have been doing some work from home and find I can only sit at the desk for a couple of hours without the belly getting very sore. And I find even if I take a long break (an hour or two) I am still very sore when I try to sit back down again.

You may want to try arranging your workspace so you can sit with your feet up. I have a laptop and find I can sit for hours with it on my lap and with my feet up. I was only "trying" the desk in preparation for returning to work next week. I also found even when sitting at my desk that I was more comfortable if I can reminding myself to sit back rather than leaning forward as I have a tendency to do.

And boy am I getting exhausted even with just a couple of hours a day from home. Luckily I have a very flexible workplace and a supportive boxx so I've told my boss that I will work what I can next week and go from there. But I do plan to arrange my desk to somehow keep my feet up.

Best of luck!
Nancy-Anne
Unread 04-14-2005, 07:27 AM
desk work

I do computer work and lean over my desk marking "hard Copy" manuscript pages. That is where I think the trouble lies. Thank you all for encouraging me, and I am so thankful for your help.

Am going to set something up in my recliner today to see if it works better (also have a backup laptop, so should be able to hook it up for email, etc.)

Best to you all!

Hugs and kisses and happy hyster wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register