Has anyone had TAH/BSO due to COMPLEX CYST???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone had TAH/BSO due to COMPLEX CYST???? Has anyone had TAH/BSO due to COMPLEX CYST????

Unread 04-14-2005, 02:56 PM
Has anyone had TAH/BSO due to COMPLEX CYST????

Hello all~

I have been posting here (on the cancer concern forum) ever since my sister was DX with OC in 2003.

I am now having to face making a decision for myself to have a TAH/BSO since I am at a higher risk for OC, coupled with the fact that I have a 3cm COMPLEX ovarian cyst on my left ovary and 3 small fibroids on my uterus. At this time my gyno/onc is just RECOMMENDINNG I have this surgery as a prophylactic measure.
However, in doing some research, I have found that complex cysts are more worriesome than simple functional cysts (which I have had all of my life), and some may be cancerous. I am now 51.

My question is:
Did anyone here have a COMPLEX cyst and what was the biopsy outomes?

I have read that many of you posted cysts as the reason for your surgeries, however, I have not specifically seen complex cysts mentioned.

After just completeing 18 months of chemo, my sister has a recurrence only after being chemo free for 1 month. She was not staged high either. So...already being distraught firstly about my sister, now I am faced with making this decision for myself.

If anyone can please offer any information to me on complex cysts and how your recovery went following a TAH/BSO...it will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

My prayers and blessings to all of you in your recoveries!
Heni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2005, 03:27 PM

Hi Heni --

I had a TAH 2/03 because of large fibroids and endo. Last month I had a laparotomy for a 10 cm complex cyst and had my ovaries out.

In January I went for a regular checkup and my gyno sent me for an ultrasound because he felt a cyst. He referred me to a gyno/oncologist for the surgery. It turned out to be a cantaloupe-sized "chocolate cyst" endometrioma. No malignancy, but my intestines were wrapped around it and it was a difficult surgery.

Before this last surgery I searched these boards for info. A complex cyst isn't always cancer, but it can be a worrisome sign.

Right before the surgery I was relieved to find out that my CA-125 was only 7, so I sort of knew beforehand that it was probably endometriosis.

Hope this helps.
Unread 04-14-2005, 10:08 PM

Hi Heni,
In December, 2004 I had a TAH/BSO because I had a complex cyst and an elevated CA 125 which kept increasing. My MD also worked closely with a gyn. oncologist and together they performed the operation. Fortunately, it was not cancer and other cysts were also removed from the ovaries and uterus. I had a CT and ultrasounds beforehand as well, but they of course couldn't rule out cancer until the surgery. I was very relieved and said alot of prayers and am happy all was removed..
Hope all goes well with you,
Roto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2005, 02:10 PM
COMPLEX CYST

I was 15 weeks pregnant when they discovered a complex cyst (8cm) on the right ovary. At 17 weeks, they took the ovary, fallopian tube, omentum and appendix. The cyst was malignant.
I also had another cyst on the left ovary that they continued to monitor during my pregnancy. At 35 weeks, I had a beautiful baby girl via c-section and the remaining cyst removed. It was a simple cyst...not a problem. (C-section was done by my OB. Cystectomy was done by my GYN/OG Oncology surgeon...LOTS O PEOPLE in the room!!!)

I was monitored for 2 1/2 years (CA125 and ultrasound every 6 months). Last August they found another cyst. So, went to testing every 6 weeks. By Christmas there were two. In late February...they were triplets and growing (6cm)...so I had a radical on March 9th. The only thing I remember coming out of surgery was my Dr. saying "No Cancer."

Knowing what I know now, I wish I had just had the hysterectomy when I had my c-section. Definitely go to an gynocological oncology SURGEON. Don't mess around.......

I'm thankful to be cancer-free with a beautiful 2 1/2 year-old.
Unread 04-15-2005, 07:54 PM
TAH/BSO complex cyst

Hi Heni,

My maternal Aunt and oldest sister both had ovarian cancer. My doc monitored me very closely, I had a 4cm complex cyst on my left ovary and 4 fairly large cysts in my uterus. My doctor said it was time to take action. I had a TAH/BSO 3-12-04. All my pathology reports were good. I feel alot better too! My stress level is much lower now. I worried alot about getting ovarian cancer. My risk level is much lower now. I am more at peace. From what I understand complex cysts are more apt to become cancerous. Everyone is different and you will have to decide what you want for yourself, I say go with you gut instinct. Mine never fails me. For me it was the best decision I ever made. The surgery was harder than I thought it would be, but I have fully recovered.Take care and good luck.

Janbug
Unread 04-16-2005, 06:11 AM
Thanks, Janbug.....

Thanks for your reply!

There is no question in my mind that I will have the surgery due to my higher risk factors and now the discovery of the 3cm complex cyst...I'm just struggling with the timing.

My doctor, who is world renowned in all female cancer issues, says he feels perfectly comfortable for me to wait until mid July...I just moved to the Baltimore area and have no friends or family here...in mid July I would be able to have someone come and help me out...I am not a great or fast healer.
I just feel like it's kind of scary to wait until then, yet my doctors says it's fine. I'm very confused!

Thank God your outcome was a good one!!!!!!!
I have received several replies from other women who had complex cysts...so far only one was malignant and confined to the ovary, no further treatment was needed for her other than removing the ovary.
Unread 04-16-2005, 06:43 AM

HUGS FOR HENNI...
Oh hon, this ***** huh? My OBGYN found a large, complex septated cyst on my left ovary that appeared moth eaten. I also had increased severe urinary pressure and constipation. I was the poster child of symptoms for advanced OVCA. The transvaginal ultrasouind report even came back with "suspicious of adecarcinoma" (cancer). My CA125 was 49. My doctor was convinced I had cancer and that it was probably stage III or IV. They opened me up in a vertical line as they were prepared to have to do a liver biopsy. Guess what? NO CANCER! I had a large endometrioma that one expected. They discovered stage IV endometriosis with it and removed as much of the reproductive organs as possible. I just wanted you to hear a story from someone who thought she had cancer and didn't. I will pray for you AND your sis....good luck hon and keep your chin up.
xoxoxo Lis'
Unread 04-16-2005, 06:44 AM

I had a 4 cm complex cyst in my right ovary, along with endometriosis and fibroids in uterus. I had a TAH/BSO on 3/25/05. (3 weeks yesterday).

My reg. MD had said he thought it would wait until summer.(I teach school, so that sounded great!)

The Gyn/Onc. said I was "sitting on a time bomb" and he didn't think we should wait.

CA125=fine
Ultrasound=not conclusive
CT scan= not definitive

Surgery=over, recovery going very well, (until yesterday when I over did it) Getting used to mood swings and cold/hot flashes.

Not allowed to do HRT, looking for other options

GYN/ONC will test me every other week for the next 3 months, then once every three months and then once evry 6 months.

Make the best decision for yourself and try not to second guess yourself.

Best wishes,
Wendy
Unread 04-16-2005, 08:18 AM

I had my hysterectomy (LAVH) in February, 2002 - my surgery was done due to large fibroids. I kept both ovaries at that time.

However, I had additional surgery last June to remove my right ovary because I began to have problems with cysts on it.

When I first began to have problems last year - my doctor and I decided to take the "watch and wait" approach for a few months - I had vaginal ultrasounds every 2 months to check the status of the ovary and cysts. The reason we decided to go ahead and remove the ovary was because the cysts changed from simple, fluid-filled cysts to complex, solid-mass and my pain was greatly increased. My doctor said when a cyst begins to change in size and appearance (complex & solid) it needs to be evaluated surgically. This is the only way to make sure that the cyst is or is not a cancer.

My pathology on the ovary and cysts removed was benign - so not all complex cysts indicate cancer.

I wish you all the best. Take care.

Unread 04-16-2005, 08:23 AM

I had an 8cm complex cyst on my left ovary and pathology ruled it all endometrial tissue and no cancer! Also had a "chocolate" cyst on my right ovary. Everything went fine, no cancer found anywhere.

Cindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register