ovaries stop working after tvh | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovaries stop working after tvh ovaries stop working after tvh

Unread 04-15-2005, 09:36 AM
ovaries stop working after tvh

I recently had a tvh but I think you ladies who have had your
surgeries a while ago can best answer this for me. My ovaries
were both left just my uterus and cervix was taken. Now my ovaries have shut down and I am on hormone replacement. I
am 4weeks post op today.
Did this happen to any of you and if so did your ovaries start
performing again? How long? Does anyone know how likely that
my ovaries will never perform again? I am only 34 so I am very concerned about being on hormone replacement for a really long
time.

Thank you so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2005, 10:32 AM

Monica,

My left ovary stopped functioning after they removed my right ovary. (Before my hyst.) It worked for a week or so, and then just ceased to function. (Died of a broken heart, I suppose! - hey, if I can't laugh, what can I do.?....) It never did work again, I was on HRT at age 25. I had my TVH/LSO (Previous RSO) at age 26. I was very concerned about being on HRT too. I stayed on them for a couple of years. But am happy to say that I've been completely off of them for over a year now!!! The hotflashes were HORRIBLE! But I made it through them, and am now coaching my MIL and Aunts on it! (My mom isn't even close to Menopause age yet!!! lol)

I'm sorry you are still having problems...maybe some of the other sisters will have some insight on post hyster "shut down", but if I can help you any more, please let me know.

s
Cortney
Unread 04-15-2005, 02:45 PM

Monica,
It's not unusual for the ovaries to take awhile to begin functioning again after a hysterectomy. The blood supply to the ovaries is cut off during the hyst and it can take some time for them to resume. Your situation could be temporary. At this point it is too early to tell if they are shut down permanently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2005, 08:43 PM

How do you know if they are shut down?

Rachelle
Unread 04-17-2005, 08:53 PM

Rachelle,

How I knew was that 4 days after surgery I started having night
sweats by the 5th day I had to change my pj's 4 times that night.
Also I became freaky emotional. My face also broke out like I was
13 again. I called the doctor and they knew exactly what was going on, they didn't even do a test they just called in a perscription for hormone patches.

*** Here is a hint, if you take a lot of showers, more than 1 a day
you may want to consider not getting patches. I can't keep mine
on. I even got medical tape and I am still having trouble, not to
mention that I have to scrub my skin with alcohol to get the sticky
stuff off from the tape.

My overies have been on vacation (lol) for 4 wks now. If they don't come back this week I am going to insist that a hormone test be done and then I will ask for pills. Patches and I are not
getting a long.
Unread 04-17-2005, 08:55 PM

Thank you Monica!
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:43 AM

I agree, the patches were great in theory. But it seemed like I was forever losing them! So I eventually had to go back to the pill form of HRT. I've been on Premarin, Estratest, and ummm....now I can't think of the name of it. It was the very first one I took!!! It was sooo long ago now, I can't remember! But it was a synthetic drug derived from plants. Cenestin? Yes - that's it! Ok, so my memory went with my ovaries! Can't be helped.

But like Rachelle said, I knew right away, too. I started having hot flashes - and serious mood swings! Felt like I was on an emotional rollar coaster! Crying during commercials on TV! I knew something wasn't right...and I called my doc and she did blood work. The rest is history...........

I hope you have your answers soon! Take care!
Unread 04-18-2005, 01:12 PM

I kept my ovaries too and I knew within in days they weren't working because I had taken Lupron before the surgery so I knew what symtpoms I had from non functioning ovaries and frankly they were not only unpleasant, but they interfered with my ability to function. I took premarin for a week and the only symptom that alleviated was the night sweats. I had enough and I couldn't take it anymore, so I went to a doc who was willing to give me bio-identical HRT. If my ovaries never work again, I will contine the biest/progesterone cream. I may add testosterone.

I too am interested in when did others' ovaries start working again and how did you know? And who else never had them working again. My bio-identical doc said they may never work again and I read that the blood supply which is cut off during surgery can cause them to never work again. But my surgeon says not to that. None of the docs agree on this issue. I am almost six weeks post op and no signs of working ovaries.
Unread 04-18-2005, 01:32 PM

My colleague had a hyster and kept her ovaries 16 years ago, and is only now having menopausal symptoms.
I had a TVH just over a year ago, and I kept my ovaries. I started having hot flashes for about 7 weeks after my op, and all was well until Jan this year (10 months after op) and my ovaries started failing.
My gp started me on a low dose of oestrogen, and so far I've been really great! It can vary between instant failure and a normal aged menopause, so nobody's right or wrong!
Its as individual as everything else about your health!
Unread 04-18-2005, 03:30 PM

I had a TAH/and kept one ovary on March 2. I was already on hormone replacement due to peri-menopause symptoms. Itwas a compound. I was fine until this last Thursday, my face was really dry and I started getting the flushing face again! I had that before I starting taking HRT. Also, the last few weeks, when I wake up, my legs are sweating! I only sweat where it's under the blanket. Never my face!
I am really frustrated! The main reason I kept an ovary was so that I wouldn't have to go through this! My doctor is out of the office for a couple of days, so I'll let you know what she says when she gets back.
Margie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register