Anyone with a suggestion??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone with a suggestion??? Anyone with a suggestion???

Unread 02-12-2001, 09:06 AM
Anyone with a suggestion???

Well, I am sitting here at my office desk taking a break because of an Estrogen headache. The doctor put me on Premarin .9 and I am cranky, moody, foggy and STILL bleeding. He said this should stop the cramps and bleeding. That was Thursday. I am now onto my 22nd day of bleeding and I am thinking I may have to buy stock in "Always".

Anyway, the question I have is how long is this supposed to take? I don't want to be anemic before having surgery and while I want to put that off until April, it looks like I might have to visit the castle a lot sooner. (sigh)

Someone got a suggestion? Because on top of being scared of the surgery and trying to make out the To-Do list of everything that needs to be done before April...I may be headed to the little padded room at the end of the king's castle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2001, 11:10 AM

Celeste, my first suggestion would be for you to let your Dr., know that you're still bleeding, and having cramps. I'm not sure how long it takes for the Premarin to take effect, but he should be aware. He should also know abouot your concern of getting anemic before surgery. He may want to give you a supplement to take to boost your blood count. It might not be a bad idea too eat iron rich foods. This will help, and can't hurt to try.. Hope things get better for you soon.. I'll be thinking of you. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with! Roz
Unread 02-12-2001, 11:16 AM
Hope things get better soon

Hi Celeste

I think talking to your doctor is a good idea. There are lots of tnings besides estrogen that will stop the bleeding. Whether or not your doctor thinks they are a good idea or not is another story . . .

If you aren't anemic already, you can do quite a bit of menstrual bleeding before you do get anemic, so that may not really be a big concern.

Hope things get better soon. Well, we KNOW they will get better one day in the not too distant future. Bye Bye Bleeding!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2001, 11:33 AM

Celeste, I have been bleeding since 11 March last year. My hysterectomy is scheduled for next week. Don't worry about becoming anemic, even after all the bleeding I've had, my blood count is fine. My doctor doubled up my birth control pills, tried premarin and even lupron to make me stop bleeding but nothing worked for me, including a d&c and 2 endometrial ablations. I am not trying to frighten you, I just want you to know that you are not alone.

However, I would suggest that you speak with your doctor, perhaps s/he can do something for you that will stop your bleeding. Just hang in there Celeste, April is not that far away.

Laura
Unread 02-12-2001, 01:35 PM

Roz, Arctic, Laura - and the other ladies!!!
Thanks for the advice. I am going to tough out this blasted headache today and see if it's any better in the morning. So far it's just gotten worse. :'(

I am going to call the doctor tomorrow and find out what else he can give me or what I can do. I had a D & C in November when they cleaned out the mounds of scar tissue so I don't think that's an option. Since my remaining ovary still functions, this is a LOT of estrogen in my system. I started bleeding on BCP's in the middle of the pack and haven't been able to stop!Grrrr. He already told me Lupron would be a really bad idea for me for many reasons, but surely there must be something else out there.

BTW - I thought progesterin (sp) is what they used to give to stop bleeding . . . or am I getting things backward??? Oh well. Things are still foggy. I need a nap. LOL

Thanks again for letting me vent. I'm cranky and frustrated and you all are wonderful!!!!

Unread 02-14-2001, 08:39 AM
Bleeding

Hi Celeste,
I have been bleeding continuously since December 4, 2000. I have had one Lupron shot and been on Aygestin (progestin) for over a month and I am still bleeding. I did become anemic and am taking 2 iron pills a day. My blood count went up very well after my last CBC so the iron is working and the bleeding is not as heavy, but it's still there. It seemed that any pill that contained estrogen made the bleeding worse, so all estrogen was stopped and progestin started.

I only have two more weeks of this blasted bleeding to go and then I'm home free, I hope.

Good luck to you and I hope you can get your bleeding under control. I know exactly what you are going through. The first thing I do when I get home from the castle is throw out my Depends and Always. I can't believe I bled so heavily I was wearing Depends! What a nightmare this all is!!
Unread 02-14-2001, 09:31 AM

Hi all! My Dr put me on medroxyprogesterone....what a mouthful that word is! It stopped the bleeding in 4 days and I really felt good on it...no headaches. I had to take 2 a day ...one every 12hrs..for 10days. What a lot we have to go through to get some relief!
{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}
kaatie
Unread 02-14-2001, 09:35 AM
call your doctor

Hi Celeste,
I had a similar problem -- my doctor gave me prometrium and a low dose birth control pill, Alese, to help with my periods (they were heavy due to multiple fibroids - and typically lasted 9-12 days).

On the prometrium/Alese combination, I bled for 24 days. I did talk to my doctor about day 16 and she switched me to Premarin 1.25 and a different BCP -- Levora .15. She had me take the PCPs for 2 months, without the normal 7 day pause to which allows you to start your period. My periods evened out after that --- still about 9 days, but at least they were predictable -- it's been almost 4 months since my hyst, and I can't believe the difference in how I feel!!! Every one's body reacts differently to medications, so your doctor needs to know that what you are doing isn't working. Maybe he/she can find a strategy to help you until you have your hyst.

I WAS anemic from from my periods, so it can and does happen. I was told to take prenatal vitamins by my doctor (they are high in iron), but that was not enough for me. I ended up taking a double dosage of a prescription iron supplement for several months to get my blood count to an acceptable level for my surgery. Anemia is NOT good for your body, as your organs are not being properly oxygenated. I also developed a heart murmur from being anemic for so long. It is something to be taken very seriously. I did not realize how much it was impacting my overall health until it was gone. I was constantly tired, and just thought it was because I'd let myself get out of shape. Now that I'm past that (I just had my annual physical, and my blood counts are great WITHOUT iorn supplements) I feel like a whole new person!

Best of luck to you! I hope that you can get your bleeding under control so that you can relax some in your preparation for the castle! April may seem like a long time away, but it will be here before you know it! My surgery was scheduled in July to be performed in October. I never thought I'd make it -- but it came faster than I thought!
The waiting is the hardest! Best wishes!!!

Cheryl

Unread 02-14-2001, 05:15 PM

I bled heavily with lots of clotting, huge clots. It was horrible. I then became anemic and then got shingles (lots of terrible pain!) from being anemic. Don't take anemia lightly! I was put on iron supplements twice a day. I had to rest for half an hour after shampooing my hair. You go to bed tired and wake up tired. Anemia doesn't go away with sleep. My blood count is up and I feel nearly new.
My gyn. put me on Lupron Depot shots (1 per month for 6 months-last shot due in April) and it pushes your body into a chemical menopause. This stops the bleeding and almost can help shrink fibroids. This is what we are hoping - means the difference between a vaginal hyster. vs. abdominal hyster. Hope you feel better. Take care!
Miranda
Unread 02-14-2001, 07:57 PM
Migraine & Premarin

Thanks Miranda. I wish I could have the Lupron, but the Premarin seems to be working, albeit slowly. The bleeding isn't as heavy and I haven't seen a clot in 24 hours!!!! Whoopee!!!!!!!!! It's starting to go away.

I have such bad adhesion and scar tissue problems that a TVH isn't an option for me. I will be sporting my 3rd abdominal incision scar. (Fortunately, all in the same place.)

I did go out and get some iron supplements to take with my normal multi-vitamin. I would think that it should help.

BTW - just for the record. I found out what caused the evil migraine . . .I checked the PDR and discovered that Premarin shouldn't be taken with tricyclic antidepressants (which I was taking Elivil for chronic pain syndrome.) I immediately stopped taking them at night (Monday) and now the migraine is just a nasty headache.

Thanks for the support. You ladies are wonderful!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register