hyst. versus C-section experience?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hyst. versus C-section experience?? hyst. versus C-section experience??

Unread 04-18-2005, 08:52 AM
hyst. versus C-section experience??

Can anyone who has had both a C-section and then later the hysterectomy tell me the differences they felt between the 2 procedures? Was the hyst. definitely worse and in what ways?
Thanks!!
wendy53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2005, 09:12 AM

I had a c-section 13 years ago at age 30, and the LAVH/BSO in January, and I can say without hesitation that the hyst is definitely worse than the c-section. It's not so much the surgery that's worse; in fact, I had much more pain with the c-section than I did with the hyst. It's the recovery time that's very, very different. After the c-section, I felt back to normal in just two or three weeks. I've been surprised at how much harder the hyst has been as far as regaining strength and feeling anywhere close to normal.
Unread 04-18-2005, 09:13 AM

I had a C-section Oct. 02 and a radical hyst March 05. The only big difference for me was that with the C-section I was REALLY focused on the baby (she was the prize!)...and the pain didn't matter much at all. With the hyst, the pain wasn't bad (just the first week) but there was no "prize." I've felt a bit blue (I'm fairly young and only have one child) about no more babies......I get tired pretty easily......but at least there are no night time feedings this time!

It really hasn't bee bad physically....more psychologically and emotionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2005, 09:17 AM

For me hyst was most definitely less painful, as I had LAVH, therefore no abdominal incision to deal with. But I remember being up and around quicker with the c-section. Of course that could have something to do with the fact that it was 10 years ago so I was younger and more resilient! With the exception of the no lifting restrictions and the no sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, I would have ti say for me, the hyst has been an easier recovery!
Unread 04-18-2005, 09:35 AM

I had a C-section 14 years ago, and a hyst 5 weeks ago, the Hyst was definately worse.

I think the fact that I was put under for the hyst and had a spinal for the csection made a huge difference, I felt horrible after coming out of anesthia, plus vomiting from that and the narcotics-

plus the recovery is longer slower process, I felt great after about 2 weeks after csection, not so w/ the hyst. I still am tired out and still have some pain and swelling and just dont feel like myself yet.

W/ a hyst you don't have to care for a baby after the hyst. you can just sleep and rest and take your time getting better.

good luck
Unread 04-18-2005, 09:44 AM

The first thing that I said to my DH after my hysterectomy was that this does not feel like a c-section! For me it was much worse.

My first c-section (1986) was an emergency. After 24 hours of labor and 2 hrs. of pushing the baby started to go into distress. He was so large (10lb.12oz) that they had to enlarge the incision to get him out. It took about 2 weeks to recover. My second one (1988) was planned and another big baby (9lb.0oz) but within one week I was back to normal.

The TAH just felt worse to me. My dr followed along my c-section scar but boy did it hurt a lot more this time. ( I had large fibroids that had my uterus enlarged to an 18 week size plus it had adhered to my bladder and was affecting other organs. My dr really had to work at getting it out. ) I had lots more pulling and burning all over my stomach, not just at the incision. That first week I didn't do a thing. I couldn't imagine taking care of a newborn the way I felt. I didn't really feel good until about week 4 which is when I had my postop appt and was given the go ahead to resume all activities. I am now at week 6 (tomorrow) and am pretty much back to normal. I still have to watch it lifting things and exercising is slow going. I also am pretty tired at the end of the day.

I guess going through this at age 44 now versus at age 26 and 28 really makes a big difference. But a TAH entails a lot more cutting, sewing, stretching, pulling, etc. To me the TAH was worse but it is all behind me now. Yeah!!!!

Lainie
Unread 04-18-2005, 10:13 AM

I started off in '73 with a ruptured etopic pregnancy and went on to two c-sections before I had my hysterectomy. I was very surprised at my recovery rate with this hyster because I bounced back quickly with the previous three surgeries and completely expected to do it again. My doctor had to explain to me that this surgery was much more invasive and that was why I was much more exhausted and taking longer to recover. And the age factor was a big part too. LOL! I'm not a spring chicken any more. Having things removed versus things opened and shut is a big difference.
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:12 AM

I have had 2 c-sections and a TAH. The TAH was by far the easier for me. The pain seemed less and I could rest when I needed to, no baby to take care of. I recovered from the hyst much faster too. I liked the restrictions (who wants to vaccuum anyway?).

good luck
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:13 AM
wendy53

I've had 3 c-sections and to me recovery time is far worse after a hyst. than a c setion. I had mine surgery on 4-06-05 and i still hurt and it's still a little hard for me to get around.My bladder was attached to my uterus and it hurts to pee. But I am gonna enjoy my time off from work and get plenty of rest because before you know it you'll be back doing all your normal routines.So just curl up with a good book and enjoy being pampered, cause you deserve it...
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:24 AM

2 c/s and 3 laps for me prior to hyst. By far, my 2nd c/s was the worst of them all as far as post-op pain and discomfort. My worst pain after the hyst was my back, but that only lasted about 4-5 days.

That covers pain, but overall, I have to say the hyst has kicked my butt more. Way more swelling and I get tired much more easily post-hyst than with any of the others.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register