Told My Kid's Cannot Visit Me In Hospital? Surprised !!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Told My Kid's Cannot Visit Me In Hospital?  Surprised !!! Told My Kid's Cannot Visit Me In Hospital? Surprised !!!

Unread 04-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Told My Kid's Cannot Visit Me In Hospital? Surprised !!!

I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and today at my pre-op I was told that NO children under the age of 14 yrs old are allowed to vist. That includes my own kids too!!!

I was quite shocked to hear this as I will be away from them 3-4 days and I thought as some point they would be able to pop by for a WEE visit.

A friend of mine was surprised because when she had surgery her little ones dropped by briefly . It would just be a comfort for them to see that mommy is fine and of course mommy will miss them too so it would have been nice for me too.

Is this common practice in hospitals? They said on day 2 or 3 if I feel up to it I can go down in the elevator to the main lobby of the hospital and have a visit there. I figure if I well enough to do that they might as well discharge me to go home...

Feeling a little sad knowing this is there protocol.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2005, 07:09 PM

That is so weird. I was told my kids could not visit me if I was in certain areas of the castle. I hope that this person was wrong and your kids can come.
Unread 04-18-2005, 07:11 PM

I know it is hard but having worked in a hospital for years and being a nursing student it is really to protect your children. Think about all the sickness they will come in contact with coming to see you. Infections picked up in the hospital are more prevalant than you might expect. People go in with one thing then pick another that extends their stay. Just think MRSA (methacillin resistant staph aurious) it is a bear to cure.

Maybe you could live them notes that they get on a daily basis and maybe they can send Mommy special get well cards. I know it is hard, I still don't like for my babies to be gone for more than a night. Good Luck!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2005, 07:44 PM

Hi there,

I don't have any kids, So I don't have that worry . But I also live in Toronto Canada and am having my sugery on May 2nd Just wondering what Hospital you will be in? I will be at the Toronto East General...
Unread 04-18-2005, 07:45 PM

Lisa:
I know in the hospital that i work in it is policy that no children under 13 are allowed to visit. that is only to protect the children against all the germs and diseases that are lurking in there. You wouldn't believe how many people sneak their kids in then in a few days, the kids are sick and possibley in the hospital themselves. theres alot of yucky infections in there that most people don't realize are there until some thing happens.
my advise would be to keep the kids home just to be safe or if you are allowed outside after you are up and walking, then go see them out there.
Jan
Unread 04-18-2005, 08:12 PM

I guess you're right with regards to the amount of germs in the hospitals. I figured the reason was because kids caused too much noise etc., in hospitals. I like the idea of writing little notes for them to open each day while they are at their grandparents. It will not only be nice to hear from mommy but they love to get mail, too.

Thanks for the tips and I guess I will think twice before trying to sneak them in.

Lisa
Unread 04-18-2005, 08:21 PM

Depending on their age it can be very scarry for little ones to see Mommy in bed with an IV, in pain trying to prop up in bed, etc., etc..

Could you make them a video message, and have someone take it to them, &/or call them so they can hear your voice. If you tell them you are doing fine, and we will see you in a few days hopefully that will comfort them. I am sure G & G will make their stay a pleasant one.

Good luck with everything........makes sense about the infections & such!
Unread 04-18-2005, 08:41 PM

I can totally relate to how you feel. I have a 4 yr old dd and thought she would be able to hang out for a couple mins. in my room and check out where mom has been. I was shocked when they wouldn't let her and I cried my eyes out. She ended up visiting me in the lobby and it would've been better for her to stay home, she cried so hard when seeing me hooked up to the I.V.'s and plus having to leave without me. I had left her presents for my dh to give her everyday that I was away and that worked out really good and she remembered (not that she could ever forget) that mommy loves her and misses her very much. Good luck to you and I hope everything goes good!!
Unread 04-18-2005, 08:58 PM
not sure if good idea but....

i know that i recovered much better when my family was visiting....tho i was under anesthesia, sleeping till early evening.
but i was thinking about the cell phones that have a camera for snap shots and mini movies in real time.....my son has one. he is always sneaking little pics and movies of everyone. your family could see you in your room and you could see them. the next best thing to being there!!!! how cool would that be?m
Unread 04-18-2005, 08:59 PM

well, I'm in LA and in response to that question, my hospital said of course. [if they hadn't I would have kept postponing the thing.] they did suggst that the kids not come by until late on the first day after we ditched the catheter thing. But heck my kids brought me dinner on new years eve and we had a party. nursing staff didn't blink. FYI the hospital is a large major one with good rep.

I don't see the logic about germs---germs are everywhere, why wouldn't any visitor be in danger of germs?

perhaps it has to do with where you will be located. I was placed on the obstetrics ward which I know some people don't like because of infertility issues. Even though I hadn't given birth, i didn't mind. Everyone was pretty darn nice and used to dealing with my type of surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register