Are these hormone issues? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are these hormone issues? Are these hormone issues?

Unread 02-13-2001, 08:35 AM
Are these hormone issues?

This is very weird, and I'm so uneducated when it comes to the hormonal side of things. I don't have an appointment to see the doc for another week and a half...and I'm leaving in two days to go to Thailand on business. I'm hoping one of you sisters with good hormone sense can help me out???

Had TAH on October 4, 2000 due to stage4 endo and some fibroids and ovarian cysts. Didn't start HRT immediately because of the endo. At about 10 weeks, felt absolutely tremendous. No more pain, swelly belly gone, working hard and no problems.

I started estradiol 1mg oral two weeks ago today. So, the very next day after taking the first one I wake up and I am all swelly belly again. Sore and swelling again around vaginal area like week 6 post-op (***I'm four months post-op!!!) and feels like everything down there is about to FALL OUT. Tired too, and I got seven hours sleep last night which is about two more than I ever need to get. Most of the hot flashes are gone which is good, but what are these other symptoms?

Should I be on progesterone? Is the estrogen too strong/weak? Should I be on the patch? HELP a silly hystersister please!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2001, 09:02 AM

Patty,
I'm sorry you are having to deal with this right before you travel. I would suggest that you call your doc or at least his attending nurse. Usually if estrogen is too high or low you will have other symptoms accompanied with water retention or "swelly belly". Ex: can't sleep, sleeping too much, fatigued or wired, depression, mood swings etc... Did you have your ovaries removed? You mentioned having a TAH but not a TAH/BSO? If you didn't have ovaries removed - why are you taking estrogen? 1mg of estradiol may not be the right dosage for you. You can expect a little water retention in the beginning but this should taper off after a few weeks. Yes, Progestrone would be a benefit to you ESPECIALLY since you had/have endo. Although it is controversial with the doctors (some agree/some disagree), the research and reading I've done along with my own personal experiences have led me to believe strongly in progestrone. I too had/have endo. Progestrone will also help you with the balancing of the estrogen and eliminating the excess fluid you are retaining.

I hope you are feeling better before you travel! Hang in there.
Unread 02-13-2001, 10:09 AM

Jill, thanks for your reply. Sorry, yes, had full TAH/BSO (always wondered what BSO stood for...sorry, forgive my ignorance :-)). Anyway, yes, both ovaries are gone so I
am on HRT. I will give the obgyn a call and clarify with him. I am indeed feeling fatigued (whereas couldn't sleep before I started). Swelly belly for sure and other stuff.

As far as the progesterone goes, I'll talk to the doc about it...but I think I'd like to try it. How would I go about starting it? How much/cream?/etc.?

Thanks so much for your insight. I greatly appreciate it.
This website has been such a blessing to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2001, 02:03 PM

Patty,
It's my opinion that the RX cream is best. It comes from a compounding pharmacy. I like it better than "over the counter" because I can use far less (it's concentrated) and I'm positive I know what the base is and the source of progestrone. You can also get capsules and troches (under the tongue). However, it's harder to adjust the dosage on those. You can get progestrone cream from your local health food store - and- many women do that when their doc won't prescribe it. If you choose to do that - just post a message to the board asking for suggestions for brand names and dosage. If your doc won't prescribe it it's probably because he's from the old school of "you don't need it because you don't have a uterus". If you read all the data on progestrone you will find that it does far more for your body than just tend to the uterus! I know for me it was a life changing experience and I'll never stop using it. If you haven't read Dr. Lee's book "What your doc may not tell you about menopause" -- you should. It will cover why it is so critical that women with endo use progestrone. I hope you start feeling better soon. Have a great trip!
Unread 02-13-2001, 02:16 PM
Just fyi...

I have endo and had a tah/bso - the OTC progesterone cream really messed me up! I have NOT tried the compounded cream. Estrogen alone didn't do alot for swelly belly and pain either (pain/swelled/gas/IBS) - if you do try the progesterone...you might want to start with the pills (prometrium) - take them at night (they will make you drowsy) and don't skip a day. Find something that keeps the level constant -- for me it's an "instant pain/endo trigger" that still causes me horrible pain if I forget to take it or use OTC cream -- OTC cream REALLY did a number on me:

More info:

Endo and Cycling Progesterone
https://www.hystersisters.com/forums/...threadid=18020

Unread 02-13-2001, 08:07 PM

Just keep in mind that everyone is different. Adrite is correct -- some women do not do well with progestrone. However, many women do. You won't know until you try it. As for the sleepiness you may experience -- some women find that progestrone wires them up and they can't sleep so they take it in the a.m. Others, like myself and Adrite get very very sleepy. It's my own personal sleeping pill (in cream form). I only suggested the cream because you can use a lower dose. Prometrium doesn't come in smaller dosages and if you need less -- you aren't able to get it. Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register