Vaginal Dilator | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Dilator Vaginal Dilator

Unread 02-13-2001, 08:49 AM
Vaginal Dilator

I went to see my Oncologist today as a follow up at the completion of all my radiation treatments. I came home with a lovely gift?!? A Vaginal Dilator Apparantly I've got a common vaginal condition when treated with Brachytherapy (int rad) where the vagina can close up and lose it's shape. My doctor says it's use it or lose it. So you have to insert this dialator every evening for 10 mins to keep the vagina open and accessible. Otherwise it would be difficult to do pelvic exams as well as have sexual activity. :inlove:

I believe I had read something on this but didn't pay it any attention as I figured it wouldn't happen to me.
Has anyone had experience with this? Do you have to use it religiously and for how long? Does anyone know what the medical term for it is? My doctor told me but whenever you're in those stirrups I tend to be a little distracted.

Just when I think I'm coming closer to the end of this journey, there goes another bump in the road. Hey - but isn't it interesting. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2001, 02:32 PM
Vaginal Dilator

I remember reading a few of the gals discussing this before. They seemed to treat it like it was no big deal, and I think that is exactly the right thing to do. Now I don't think that I would put an advertisement in the paper to tell everyone, but I would definately use it! I really don't know how long you will have to use it, but I would think that it would be different for everyone. I think that I would call the doc to be on the safe side though.
Unread 02-13-2001, 03:27 PM
Vaginal Dilator

June Ali, I was given a dialator when I went to see my Dr. after radiation also. I was told to either have sex or use the dialator three times a week. In other words if I have intercourse once during a week use the dialator twice. I really don't mind it, I'll usually use it after the shower. And now it's just routine, like washing my face or brushing my teeth. And we have to do this for the rest of our lives so that our vaginas don't atrophy. So it's best if we can just think of it as part of our health care. At first I hated the idea of using it so I tried to make sure we had intercourse 3xs a wk but that quickly went from YEAH! to not again! Just another bump in the road! Good luck! Jan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-14-2001, 03:36 PM
Vaginal Dilator

Thanks Cyd & Jan. I also found some clear information on this out on the American Cancer Society Website. I don't know what was wrong with me yesterday. I usually ask tons of questions. It's also interesting to hear other people's experiences. You never know what people are dealing with. Keep plugging (pun intended).
Unread 02-14-2001, 09:36 PM
vaginal dialator

Hi -
New poster - but am curious about the post on using the vaginal dialator for ever. I was told to use it after the internal radiation (I completed 2 weeks ago) Use it every day for 10 minutes, only until it gets very comfortable to put in, then I could stop. But I guess its use it or lose it?
Unread 02-15-2001, 04:23 AM
Vaginal Dilator

Hi, I had my 2nd int. rad. treatment Tues. One more to go.
On my 1st treatment, I was given a dilator kit with 2 dilators in it. I was told to start a month after treatment, to begin with the smaller dilator leaving it in for 10 min. and to do it twice a week. Also, I was told it was just to get you started with intercourse as it might be painful to begin with.

SUSKI
LAVH/BSO Dec.21
Endometrial Cancer
Unread 02-15-2001, 06:21 AM
Vaginal Dilator

For anyone after a hysterectomy, it's use it or lose it. Women who were between relationships and so didn't use it for periods of time afterward have come to the boards scared at the thinning and bleeding. So, just depends on how often you use it over time but I'd think the dilator would be a thing to keep on hand so to speak.

Unread 02-15-2001, 09:40 PM
Vaginal Dilator

I've been using my dialator for 4 weeks now. My oncologist told me I had to use it for 6 months every day, for 15 min. I never heard for the rest of my life! I can't imagine! I usually fall asleep with it in at night and it is in there for an hour or more-lol. I'm so dry, by then it's hard to pull out-lol.

They could have at least put some ridges on it or something!
Unread 02-19-2001, 08:27 PM
Vaginal Dilator

Bethler - the info I read from American Cancer Society says if you had the radiation then vaginal scaring can happen even years later so you pretty much will have to use it. Now that I read more I don't really understand the longevity of this so I need to ask my doctor more questions.

Trish - do women who just have a hyster and not also radiation experience the same kindof need for the dialator?

Suski - I was told it was intercourse or the dilator, they are exchangable. Now I don't know if I would consider them evenly exchangable. I guess it depends on the man. I was told to use it/do it every day to start and then later I could switch to every other day.
Unread 02-21-2001, 05:52 PM
vaginal dilator

June Ali, I accidently posted a new thread instead of replying to your thread about the dilator. If you are interested please see my post about the dilator. Good luck to you with it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register