What could this be? PLEASE HELP! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What could this be? PLEASE HELP! What could this be? PLEASE HELP!

Unread 04-21-2005, 03:13 PM
What could this be? PLEASE HELP!

The thing is, if it is a cyst shouldn't it show up on the vag. u/s she did earlier today? I would think so. Would a ct scan show up more than a vag. u/s? I am just so mad that I could spit. The doctor earlier acted as if I was crazy and I hate that!!

Thank you all for the kind words, I just don't know what I am going to do tomorrow if the GP says, I SEE NOTHING!

Keri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2005, 03:52 PM

Hi! I could have written your post, or at least parts of it! I don't want to scare you, but it's possible that your hematoma is back. Here's what happened to me:

I had my surgery on 9/20/04. TAH and a panniculectomy. I'm pretty "fluffy", so the happiest moment I had in the hospital was when I had my first look at my tummy and I saw the roll of fat under my belly button was virtually gone!! (I wouldn't share this, but it becomes important as the post progresses.)

Anyhow, my recovery went well, although I always felt it was maybe a little slower than normal.... at 6 weeks post-op, I was still getting awfully tired, and the pain never really went away. I had lingering pains, but I couldn't really say I was "in pain".

I was cleared by my doc at 5-1/2 weeks to go back to work and to slowly return to my normal routine, which I did. No big problems.

However, I noticed that the skin on my tummy remained numb. And what I first attributed to "swelly belly" never really went away. In fact, at about 5 months post-op, my belly looked bigger than it did before surgery! Couple that with gradually worsening pain and nausea (like what you're feeling).

I was avoiding the doctor, first of all because I didn't want to hear that there was anything wrong with an ovary (which is what I suspected) and secondly because I didn't want to hear that there was nothing wrong and that I was dreaming all of this!

Well, last week I finally got up the nerve to go to my regular GP about this. She looked at me kind of weird (I mean, who complains about a swollen tummy when they're already at least 100 pounds overweight? And numb skin? What's that all about?), but after I almost came off the exam table when she poked my belly, she ordered a CT scan.

Here's what they found -- and I'm still trying to recover from the shock. I have a very large (19 cm. long and 9 cm. deep -- shaped like a football) hematoma. They are hoping it will resolve on its own, but if it doesn't, I'm going to ask to be sent to the "big city" clinic about an hour away -- it's one of the best in the world.

The moral of the lesson is -- what's happening to you could really be almost anything! I certainly can't diagnose you, but you deserve to get some answers. If you're not feeling well, there's something wrong -- they just have to help you find it!

I never would have imagined that it would take 7 months for a hematoma to show up. Again -- I'm not trying to scare you. I'm sure I'll be just fine, and I hope you will, too. But it's worse not to know. My best to you!
Unread 04-21-2005, 05:58 PM

WOW, you poor thing!! I am so sorry you had to go through this! Just when you think its all over right!

Well, your story does sound somewhat too famaliar to me. Did they not do a vag. u/s? Wouldn't a hematoma show up on there? All I know is I sure hope this new doctor that I will be seeing tomorrow will care enough to try and figure out what is wrong with me. I am sick of this and thought the TAH would help the pain, sure is funny how I am having the same type of pain as before the TAH!

I am not sure if this does have anything to do with it, but I have put on 10lbs within the last few weeks. I just thought they would have noticed something on the vag. u/s I had today. Then again, she went in there with the thought in mind that there was nothing wrong with me because she made the comment, there is nothing in there that is their department anymore! UGH!!!

I JUST WANT answers and the pain to go away!!

Keri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2005, 10:12 PM

Its your GP's job to line up the proper care in which he/she feels is appropriate in order to R/O anything significant. I understand the GYN's point about it "not being their dept" anymore--I went through the same thing though my GYN DID order a CT scan--problem was she didnt think "diverticulosis" was causing my pain (i had classic symptoms) so she didnt bother informing me that it was listed as a finding on the CT report. I only found out when I picked up a copy of the CT report to take to my GP appt--I couldnt stand the pain anymore so I got my GP involved. He set me up an appt with a GI Dr for the following day, and one week later I was scheduled for a colonoscopy. Sure enough adhesions and diverticulosis turned out to be my problem (side note--i had just had adhesions removed 7 months prior).
So with all that rambling, dont stress too much about your appt tomorrow. Like I said before, its the GP's job to be in control of your overall health, to order any tests that might be relevant, and see to it the proper Dr(s) are involved in your diagnosis.
stay well.
Unread 04-22-2005, 06:33 AM

Ok, great! Thanks for the info! I am wondering if she is going to send me to a GI doctor? I just had a colonoscopy done in November! I wonder if those results would still be valid! Oh well, we will see what she says today! I will let you all know about it!

Keri
Unread 04-22-2005, 08:26 AM

Trickie,

I'm so sorry you're having these issues. Your posts read as if your pain is fairly intense. Have you considered going to the Emergency Room, just to make sure there's nothing else going on that would not have been picked up by a vaginal ultrasound? A CT scan will often show up more than other tests because they use contrast. If your pain is severe, I certainly wouldn't wait for an appointment to see someone. Just my opinion. Hugs . . .
Unread 04-22-2005, 08:36 AM

I never went to the doc from the 5-1/2 week mark until last week. That's why nothing was ever found. Who knows how long I've been walking around with this?

My lesson remains the same: if there's something wrong, go and find out what it is. We're not supposed to be in pain or feel rotten. Feeling sick is a signal that something is wrong.

I do hope you get some answers -- as I said before, you deserve to feel well.
Unread 04-22-2005, 07:34 PM

Hi its Beth here again.....Please go to the ER. I have gone there often and have got good results. You need to find out what is going on. Pain is there for a reason. Don't muck around. As was said above you deserve to feel well and not in pain. lots of hugs, Beth.
Unread 04-22-2005, 08:37 PM

I am reading all of the previous posts to this message with my jaw dragging on the ground.

I am two weeks post-op and have had a numb area below my belly button from the first day. I just thought it was from the surgery, but now I am a bit concerned. My incision opened during the night the day I had my staples taken out, and I am still battleing with the drainage, as it's still open. My doctor has been keeping tabs on me and if it wasn't for my wonderful husband, I don't know what I would do. I've been reading on here and other women have experienced it, but it really made me sad to see that with most of them it took 8 weeks to close.

I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday and I am going to mention the numb area, too. It just feels weird. It is numb on the surface, but I can feel the pressure below, like inside. And it itches in some spots, too. ??????
Unread 04-22-2005, 08:51 PM

I thought the numbness was normal for awhile afterwards? I am 6 month spost op and am still numb down there. Is this NOT normal? Please let me know so I can mention it to my doctor.

Update on me, the doc I was suppose to see cancelled on me today b/c her child got sick and everyone else was booked up, IMAGINE THAT! BUT she did call me in something for the pain for the weekend so I wouldn't have to go to the ER. So, I am going next week instead. I get to ponder all weekend long over what is wrong with me but at least I won't have to worry about dealing with the pain!

Keri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register