General question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

General question? General question?

Unread 04-21-2005, 08:10 AM
General question?

Hi all, I'm scheduled for a TVH/BSO with a possible TAH/BSO if something goes wrong with the TVH on 5/5/05, & I wanted to know do these procedures automatically involve the removal of the cervix or will I have to ask my Dr. to take the cervix out as well? My Pre-OP visit isn't until 4/28/05, but I kinda want to know this before hand. I also want to know since I'm trying the TVH 1st. is it possible to even have this method done if I have Endometriosis & a tilted Uterus? I think my Dr. was just trying to get me the best recovery method as she could, but I think she may have over looked these facts. I'm a Borderlined Diabetic as well, so I think she is also trying to keep from cutting me, but during my research & reading some posts here & other sites, you really can't do a TVH if a patient has Endo & a Uterus that is enlarged/slightly enlarged &/or tilted so I don't think the TVH will be possible & I'll end up doing a TAH after all. What are some of your thoughts &/or experiences with these issues I've explained? I will definitely ask her or remind her though of the Endo & uterine issues when I go for my Pre-OP, & she may have to change me to a TAH altogether. Thanks again for this website, it's been a God sent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2005, 08:17 AM
General question?

S

The term TVH means Total Vaginal Hysterectomy. "Total" means the entire uterus. The cervix is part of the uterus so a total hyst means the total uterus is going to be removed. With a vaginal hyst in 99% of the cases keeping the cervix isn't an option because the cervix is destroyed by the process of removing the rest of the uterus through it. The term TAH means Total Abdominal Hysterectomy, so it's the same as the explanation for TVH. The total uterus is removed with a TAH. But "total" has nothing to do with the ovaries. That is another term, which you have included - BSO. So you are also having both ovaries and the tubes removed.

Hope this helps!

ps: please go into your profile and add your surgery date so we can be sure to send you special good wishes as your date approaches. It also makes it easier to reply since one can see at a glance whether a member is pre or post op. Thanks!
Unread 04-21-2005, 09:44 AM
General question?

Hi. I was scheduled for a TVH, but it was converted to a TAH because of the size of my uterus and endo. I would have loved to have had TVH because of the recovery time but TAH means he did a good job of getting most of the diseased areas out. I also had both ovaries out (due to endo) which I had not expected. Having attempted both did mean I had two areas to heal instead of just one, but I still would rather have tried TVH to see if it would work. I have done very well with the healing and doing great. Discuss it with you Dr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-21-2005, 01:40 PM
General question?

the criteria at the local hospitals/gyn offices around this area for a TVH is having a uterus weighing 250gm's or less, and of course the standard factors of whether the womans pelvic muscles are slack enough to allow the uterus to be accessed. An experienced GYN will be able to tell upon a pelvic exam (and sometimes ultrasound) whether or not a TVH will be possible.
stay well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register