ovarian cancer diagnosed after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovarian cancer diagnosed after hysterectomy ovarian cancer diagnosed after hysterectomy

Unread 04-22-2005, 12:15 PM
ovarian cancer diagnosed after hysterectomy

Hi there

After 4 months on waiting list for hystie. Underwent a sub total hystie four weeks ago (24th March). Three days ago, I was called back to the hospital, whereupon they told me that Stage One Ovarian Cancer was found in removed tissue. All remaining organs looked healthy (one ovary - plus cervix).

Have to undergo ANOTHER operation next month where they will remove ovary and appendix plus some fatty tissue. This will be carried out via a laparoscopy, but in event they will not be able to have a good view of internal area - they MAY have to re-open VERTICAL hystie scar to have a look.

Anyone had a similar expereience - please get in touch.

What a fantastic website - like an 'old friend' I keep visiting.

Thank you
Val
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2005, 01:02 PM

Valerie

Are they going to check lymph nodes also? Can you have a gyn/onc do this followup surgery. They are the ones who know what to look for and what to do.

We are here to help you through this.

s
Jane B
Unread 04-22-2005, 02:28 PM

Jane

No mention was made of getting lymph nodes checked. However, I was wading through some info yesterday on the web and I'm sure I saw that there was no real purpose to this practice with regards to Ovarian cancer(?)

Thanks for your prompt reply

Val
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2005, 03:20 PM

I was concerned that they did not take any lymph nodes, but my gyno/onc also did not feel lymph nodes are a real priority. They will monitor changes with CT scans and blood tests.

Chin up, and keep those positive thoughts.
Unread 04-22-2005, 04:37 PM

Hi there ValerieC
Yes I had a similar experience to you. I had an ovary and ovarian cyst removed by way of a laprascopy. I was told 3 days later that clear cell cancer had been found inside the cyst and I then had to had a TAH removing everything else, lymph nodes and have abdominal washings. Nuisance value having to go in for a 2nd op, which was done through an old, vertical, C-section, but very necessary.
Good luck to you
Glenys
Unread 04-22-2005, 05:36 PM

Val,

see this post
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=95443
Unread 04-22-2005, 05:43 PM

PS

I must add to the thread link posted above: I did have abdominal washings and lymph nodes checked removed during the hyst. There was no spreading of the cancer which was an important factor in my decision.
Unread 04-23-2005, 04:27 AM
ovarian cancer found post hystie

Glenys

Many, many thanks for your reply. Ouch, it must have been even more painful getting your incision re-opened. Did you have to be as careful the second time around as the first in that you didn't overdo things? Were you even more tired and washed out the second time? If that's the case, then I shall be back to square one!!!

Glad to know that you are well now.

I live in the UK, but my sister lives in Australia (Macedon, Vic) - she emigrated 10 years ago. Which brings me on to the next subject. I shall be phoning her for the first time today since my diagnosis, and I am so nervous in telling her. I shall have to choose my words v. carefully. I asked my oncologist what the odds were of my sister contracting this disease and whether there are any health checks in place. He said that he did not know about Australian medical practices but sis could check them out.

Thanks again for your reply

Val

(Hyster on 24th March: removal of ONE ovary covered in endo on left side and 24-week sized fibroid on the right side).
Unread 04-23-2005, 10:35 AM
Hi Valerie

Im a fellow Brit and was in the same position as you in Jan 03. My two operations were done within a week of one another. You dont mention if you are under a GYN/oncologist? I would be very surprised if your second op was done as a laparascopy?? You also need to know the grade of your ovca. That is extremely important and the exact stage of your ovca. Im presuming at this point you are Stage1a? but you need to know your grade. Please ask about your lymph nodes as they most certainly need to be sampled. Correct staging for ovca cannot actually be done without your lymph nodes being looked at.

Please PM me if you so wish.

take care
sheila
Unread 04-23-2005, 03:05 PM

Hi Val
Like Sheila I will be surprised if they do a laparascopy the next time around - I just didn't mention it in my first post. I recovered from the 2nd op very well indeed but I had 4 weeks between the 2 operations as after #1 I was referred to a gyn/onc, who flies up here from Sydney once a month. Luckily for me he was here when the diagnosis was made so I saw him immediately and he took all my details back to Sydney to present to the tumour review board at his main hospital. They confirmed his thoughts on the need for a 2nd op followed by 4 doses of carbo/taxol, as the cells were clear cell. That all finished at the end of Feb and wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated. Just waiting for the hair to grow back now, and it has started.
Re your sister in Victoria. I have a daughter who has always had a few problems with periods and sees a gyn. When she last saw him she mentioned what had happened to me and asked how it could affect her. The reply was that her chances of developing ovca have risen from 1% to 3%, and not to worry about it but always to be aware and mention it to any gyn she may visit in the future. Hope that phone call goes well for you both.
Best wishes and always feel free to PM me
Glenys

PS: re above posts - my lymph nodes were sampled and this was considered very important by the gyn/onc. as were the abdominal washings.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register