How long will this procedure take? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long will this procedure take? How long will this procedure take?

Unread 04-26-2005, 12:23 PM
How long will this procedure take?

I am scheduled to have a TAH/BSO on May 25th. I've had two c-sections but chose to have a spinal block and was awake for both procedures. I have been put under general anesthesia before but never for more than 1hour. I don't wake up well.....so I'm very nervous about a lengthy procedure. I didn't ask my GYN this question at my pre-op appointment. I do know that he has to do some "repair" work due to my endo.

Also, did any of you have to do a bowel prep prior to surgery?

Slick258
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2005, 12:59 PM

I will be having a bowel prep at home the night before surgery.

I am having a TAH, at my pre-op they told me the surgery would be approx. 2hrs., and 1 hr. in recovery.
Unread 04-26-2005, 01:01 PM

I'm 2 1/2 hours away from the hospital. Do you think it wise to stay the night in a hotel since I have to do the bowel prep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2005, 01:16 PM

I am 1+ hour away from hospital and plan to stay at home the night before.

Depends what time your surgery is.....I don't think the bowel prep would effect anything. I'm hoping it's not an all night process, maybe someone else can check in and let us know.
Unread 04-26-2005, 01:19 PM

I would prefer the comforts of home ....but I certainly do not want to be "caught" on the side of the road! It would be great if someone would let us know how the bowel prep procedure went for them.
Unread 04-26-2005, 01:35 PM
how long will this procedure take

Hi All,

My procedure ( TAH, bladder repair) took 2 hours. I did have a bowel prep the night before ( Oral fleet) and you take most bowel preps early ( 6 pm) and it starts working within the hour. You are mostly emptied out by 11 pm so you can sleep. Don't worry that you'll be crappin all night.
Slick: When you go for your pre-op make sure you speak to the anesthiast (sp) about your problems with general anesthetic. Do you have difficulty waking up? or nausea? I have terrible nausea with any general anesthetic. I spoke to the Dr. at the pre-op and right before my surgery and they gave me special drugs. I had no nause the first day and woke up gently. Felt a little stoned from the morphine but at least I didn't have pain!! I don't think I would want to be awake during this surgery but everyone is different.
Hope this info helps

KAT1962

Abdominal hysterectomy, bladder repair, kept ovaries.
March 11, 2005
Unread 04-26-2005, 02:09 PM

My doc said it would take about 2 hours for the surgery. I'm having a TAH. I live about 45 minutes from the hospital but I'm staying in a hotel the night before because if there's even one small accident on the highway it could take 2-3 hours to get there in Atlanta traffic. I don't want that added stress. I have to do a bowel prep also. I doubt I'll get much sleep no matter what bed I'm in so I'm not even going to hope for that to happen.
Unread 04-26-2005, 02:17 PM

Hey swank,

I am in the atlanta area as well. I am taking my chances and hoping there will be no accidents on i-75. I will have to be there by 6:30 so I am hoping I will miss the major stuff. I will be praying your surgery goes well and for a speedy recovery. I still have a month in waiting.....
Unread 04-26-2005, 02:39 PM

Hey fourjs,

I have to go down Georgia 400. It's horrible even on a good day and I have to be there at 9:15. I'll be close enough from the hospital to walk if I have to!
Unread 04-26-2005, 06:57 PM

Hi Swank,

I have to go down to GA400 too. Northside on 5/19. No time made yet. Pre-op on 5/16.

Best luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register