Surgery For Removal Of Fluid Filled Ovarian Cyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery For Removal Of Fluid Filled Ovarian Cyst Surgery For Removal Of Fluid Filled Ovarian Cyst

Unread 04-28-2005, 04:51 AM
Surgery For Removal Of Fluid Filled Ovarian Cyst

Hi,

I am 33 years old and I live in the UK.

I have just been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst. My gyn highly suspects that the cyst is fluid filled but has said that it needs removing sooner rather than later.

In order to speed things along, he is scheduling a date for me to go in for surgery (hopefully in next few weeks) and I am also waiting to have an MRI scan. I have had blood tests already but he will only give me the results of the scan and blood test when I actually go in for the surgery.

He has already mentioned the various possibilities regarding the surgery depending on what the MRI scan reveals. Best case scenario is just removal of the cyst. However, it could involve also removing one or both ovaries, possibly the uterus.

My question is, how likely is it that I will end up having to have a hysterectomy at all due to a fluid filled ovarian cyst?

I'm only 33 and despite never really being too concerned about having children, I don't like the sound of having a hyst at 33.

Has anyone here been diagnosed with an ovarian cyst and ended up having a hyst?

Many thanks.

Rowdy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2005, 08:40 AM

You really don't have enough information on this cyst. You need more information. Ask for copies of your reports. If your doctor has the reports there is no reason why you should not have copies. If your doctor won't give them to you go directly to where the tests were done. They will give them to you! There should not be any mystery about what is on them.

If your cyst needs to be looked at surgically you have the right to explore all options available. My doctor did not think laprascopic removal of mine would be safe. I really feel I should have explored that option as well as the option to continue to follow it via ultrasound. When you are my age (52) most doctors will recommend pulling ovaries. At your age, only if disease is present. My vote is for the least amount of surgery that is warrented by your condition.

A second opinion might be very helpful to you.
Unread 04-28-2005, 01:07 PM
My experiences!!

Well, I haven't had a hyst, but I've had several laps due to ovarian cysts. Right now all I have left of my ovaries is 1/2 of my left one. With my cysts, they grew inside of the ovary, through it, and to the outside. That's why mine were removed. Just a note, I'm only 24, almost 25.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2005, 07:57 PM

I find it unbelievable that this doctor would expect you to show up for surgery without knowing and discussing the results of the scan and other tests FIRST - and discussing any and all treatment options that might be available for you.

I would not show up for surgery under those conditions. I would find it incredibly insulting that anyone would think that any woman would do that. Where is this guy coming from???? Yeeesh!

I hope you will be able to get another opinion.
Best wishes,
joano
Unread 04-29-2005, 11:26 PM

I am with Joano on this one, your doctor should not keep your test results from you until you are about to go under the knife! That is ridiculous. You have every right to see your own medical records, even if it means taking your test results to another doc to have them interpreted for you. Beyond that, I cannot imagine that you are actually saying this, but are you saying that your doctor just expects you to show up for surgery without even knowing what is going to be removed? I really hope that I just got that wrong, because that would be insane.

I had a giant ovarian cyst (16 pound teratoma), it cut off its own blood supply and started to rot inside me, but inspite of the severity of the problem, nothing but the one ovary was removed. If you doc is talking about possibly yanking everything because of a cyst... sweetheart, it sounds like your doctor has real problems. I know the NHS can be a pain to deal with, but there have to be doctors in it who will be a bit easier to work with, you need a second opinion.
Unread 05-03-2005, 05:06 AM

I've got to go for my pre-op appointment on 10th May.

I've read all of you replies and the more I think about it, the more I am inclined to refuse to sign the consent forms unless they are specific as to what surgery I will be having.

I got a phonecall from the gyn ward last week saying that my surgery date is Fri 13th May and my pre-op is 10th. She told me that she is sorting out my paperwork and that she is putting this on the consent form:

"laparoscopy to remove ovarin cyst and POSSIBLE removal of 1 ovary, + both ovaries, + uterus."

Thing is, I'm also still waiting to have an MRI scan before the surgery! I reminded her of this and she said she would get my gyn's secretary to arrange it asap.

My head is in a complete muddle with this. I guess all I can do is go to the pre-op and see what happens (and hope I've had the MRI by then). If they can't give me a better idea of what the surgery will involve then I am refusing to sign the forms and will not go in for the surgery. I will demand a second opinion from another gyn - which won't be easy as I live in the UK and am dealing with the NHS.

This is all doing my head in. I just want my life to get back to normal. I've been offered a new job and resigned from my current one.

All of this just because I went to the docs suspecting IBS!!!

Rowdy.
Unread 05-03-2005, 03:58 PM
laposcopy op

Hi Rowdy
I live in England and have to deal with the NHS as well but I must be one of the lucky ones < Iwas diagnosed with a fluid filled cyst 5 years agoand had a laposcopy to remove cyst , My gyno was was very supportive and informative all the way although when it came to the op I had to agree to let him do what he had to do dependant on what he found, but he explained all the possibilities even the risks of bowel punture etc, He gained my trust, I had the op only removal of the cysts and was allowed home the next day, some pain after but biggest problem was wind as part the op they inflate your stomach, had HRT for 3 months after. Hate to say but the same gyno now thinks the HRT is part of the cause of endo and fibroids that need sorting .I have to choose between a hysterectomy or a Mireena coil but he has given me a month to think about the information I have been given and the chance to find out more before I go back and dicuss my options again , there are some half decent gyno's out there but are restricted by the NHS red tape budget. hope all goes well for you talk to your gyno it is your body love genty
Unread 05-04-2005, 04:25 AM

Genty,

how long did you have to wait from being diagnosed to having the surgery to remove the cyst?

I only ask because for me it has happened so very quickly. I got a date for surgery within 2 weeks of the cyst being diagnosed.

I shouldn't complain - at least I'm not waiting - but at the same time, why the rush if he doesn't suspect cancer?

Rowdy.
Unread 05-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Thumbs up - Surgery For Removal Of Fluid Filled Ovarian Cyst removal of ovarion cyst

Rowdy

From finding out I had cyst (initial scan) until removal took about 3 months due to lack of communication from one source to another my GP sent me for a scan, the scan had to go back to him , then he had to refer me to the gyno who then wanted another scan which I had to wait for apponimnet for. but once the gyno was sure the cyst had got to be at least 6cm and he was wanted to operate it , it was only about four weeks , but Iwas given the option of choosing a time conveient for me, as I work in a school I chose a week before half term to give extra time before going back to work as at the time I worked in a reception class with four and five year olds and thought it best to allow extra time. think positive it may be that your local NHS hosp does not have long waiting list and that your local authority is much more orgainised with communication than mine , My latest scan took 3 months to get back to my surgery as it had got lost somewhere.
Do what you fel is right for you and try not to worry too much
all the best love Genty
Unread 05-06-2005, 11:11 PM

Hi Rowdy,

I had a fluid-filled ovarian cyst and an ovary surgically removed about 5 weeks ago. It was about 10 cm, a "serous cystadenoma". I am 36.

This type of cyst is cancerous about 20% of the time, though it is rarer in women our age. My doc. did an ultrasound to measure and look for "solids" (cancer indicator) and ran a CA-125 blood test. This is a cancer test, but the results can yield false negatives and false positives, so there are different opinions about it's effectiveness. Anything below 25 is negative. Mine was 2.

Because there is no way to test a fluid filled cyst and know for certain that it is not cancerous, I signed a consent for removal of both ovaries, tubes, cervix, etc (uterus already gone) as needed. But I expressed my wishes that everything stay that is healthy, if possible. The plan was to remove only the affected ovary and tube, and that is what happened. The cyst was tested in the OR by a frozen section which is 96% accurate to determine if cancer cells are present, even if it isn't visibly apparent. I was cancer-free.

I feel that you should know your blood results ahead of time, and your MRI or ultrasound results as well. I insisted on an oncologist to assist w/ the surgery, in case cancer was found. How big is your cyst? Is it getting larger? There is nothing to be gained by postponing surgery, because a growing cyst could be cancerous or it could rupture. But if it is smaller than 8cm, it could be functional and resolve itself.

Also, you DO need to be comfortable with your dr. Get that 2nd oppinion if you can. As far as I know, there is no reason to remove a uterus just because of a fluid-filled ovarian cyst! The only reason would be if cancer were found, and even then, you have a choice based on the the stage/grade etc. You'd want an oncologist there. You dr. may be afraid to say these things, thinking it will unneccessarily alarm you, and so is being vague in his plans for you. Just a guess... but I wouldn't like it! I'd run the other way screaming! From a woman who lost her uterus at 28- trust me- you want to keep all the parts you can!

Good luck! I'll be praying for you. Keep us posted, please.

Mary Jo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register