IV in arm...surgery canceled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IV in arm...surgery canceled IV in arm...surgery canceled

Unread 04-28-2005, 11:50 PM
IV in arm...surgery canceled

Help...everything was a go...got off of work, mom came down to care for family, made sure not to get a cold, double checked that insurance was approved, went to the hospital, got in the gown, put the little hat on, got the IV in my arm...then my blood pressure was through the roof. I have been on blood pressure medicine since Jan 2005. I saw my primary care doc one week prior and my GYN doc one week prior...both had good pressures. Went to my pre admissions testing the day before...blood pressure fine. I cant tell you what went wrong. They even thought it might be "white coat syndrome". So they gave me knock out medicine and it still didnt come down. They called it off, made me wait 2 hrs before letting me go home...did one last pressure and it was perfect but to late. My primary care Dr has me now on a 2nd medicine and they are going to try to reschedule me in a week. I have never been so devastated!!!! And freaked out at the same time...is this a sign not to do it, or just that it wasnt right that day....Going crazy now....help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2005, 04:02 AM

Aww Kristie4;

I think you should just chalk it up to not being the right day. You need to get your BP lower for your own protection.

How awful to be all set and then cancelled.

I understand how you feel, I have high BP too. I have the "white coat" syndrome too, everytime I see a doctor it goes way high! Hopefully they can get it lowered and then you can have your surgery.

Best wishes to you. I'll say a little prayer for you so your BP will come down and you can have your surgery!!

's to you!

Sybie
Unread 04-29-2005, 04:26 AM

I would say that it wasn't meant to be done on that day also.God has a way of doing things to let us know when it's right and when it's not.Good luck and I pray your BP comes down and that your surgury is a go and it it a WONDERFUL experience for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2005, 07:30 AM

Kristie,

Something to consider - my dh had high blood pressure through the roof. Dr. put him on meds, anti depressants, the works, and it still was not coming down. Did a little research and looked on WebMD to see how we could get this down. (He's only 35) I don't want him on all the meds. One of the major things they said was caffeine - asked DH how much coffee he was drinking throughout the work day and he said about 15-20 cups a day (DUH). Its a miracle, his BP has now dropped into only the double digits.

So too day before lay off coffee and pop and relax, you'll do great!
Jillions of people have this surgery everyday and they come out just fine. (This is what I tell myself) Say a prayer (he knows whats best anyway) and you'll be OK.
Unread 04-29-2005, 07:42 AM

Kristi4,
Something made me read your post. You must feel double stressed! Relax and don't doubt the decision you made. I'm not sure what your health problems are, but I looked at your profile and hey, we're the same age and live in the same city! Good luck to you and you'll be in my thoughts. Take care and keep us updated.
Unread 04-29-2005, 10:17 PM

If everything checked out fine days prior to your procedure I would bet the BP elevation was due to "white coat" syndrome. Ask your GYN if he/she would give you a low-dose antianxiety med for you to take the day before and morning of your surgery. I too have "white coat" syndrome, along with high BP, and this worked wonders for me.
Of course though, first make sure its nothing more than the anxiety thats causing the rise in BP before asking your GYN for anything.
stay well and dont fret.
diana
Unread 04-30-2005, 09:58 AM

I'm so sorry that things didn't get underway for you. My heart rate stays too high and the day of my surgery we had to take additional meds. I was told to "relax" and be at ease...What in the world! I think that stressed me out on top of the stress that I already had.
I will say a prayer for you and I do wish you the best and it's so easy for me to say relax and be at ease, however, I'm not in your shoes but I do wish you the best!
Good Luck, God will take care of you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register