Any first-hand stories on keeping/not keeping cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any first-hand stories on keeping/not keeping cervix? Any first-hand stories on keeping/not keeping cervix?

Unread 04-29-2005, 07:21 AM
Any first-hand stories on keeping/not keeping cervix?

I am scheduled for a TAH on 5/4/05. My surgeon has explained what he knows about the pros and cons of whether or not to keep the cervix, and has left the decision to me.

Does anyone have any first hand experiences that could help me with my decision?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2005, 07:34 AM

I wanted to keep my cervix because I was scared of sexual dysfunction. My dr. insisted that I was better off having it removed. I listened to her and I have had no problems. I have had intercourse, the big "O", etc. I have found no differences whatsoever. I asked my dh if he noticed any difference and he said its as good as ever. Hope this helps!!!!
Unread 04-29-2005, 07:50 AM

I kept my cervix. I am of the belief to keep anything I can. Besides, it just seemed more "natural" to keep it and I have never had a abnormal pap smear and no cancer in the family. I am happy with my decision. The surgeon let me decide. Dottie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2005, 09:28 AM

Hi there,

I decided to keep my cervix. What I didn't know enough about before hand was the risk of the mini-period. Since my surgery, I've had a mini-period each month (although it is getting lighter month by month). Each month, I get a small (like really small, not even enough for a panty liner) amount of bleeding for one day. Although my gyn offered to cauterize the tissue and end the mini-periods, I've decided to keep them as they help me to keep track of ovulation and to predict PMS.

Good luck with your decision, I know it's a hugely personal choice, but it happened to be the right one for me and my situation.
Unread 04-29-2005, 09:34 AM

i was worried that taking my cervix would upset my bladder ( I had slight stress incontinence)- the UD test showed that my bladder would be fine once the pressure from the uterus was removed - but I kept it anyway. I have clear smear tests and am low risk for cervical cancer.
Unread 04-29-2005, 09:45 AM

I kept mine (infact the doc would have to have justified why it need to go) - I just believe in keeping all healthy body parts. I had dysplasia in 1990 - and had 2 colpos and cryro and laser to correct it - and have had clean paps since then so the previous dysplasia was not a factor (they want 'clean' for 5 years as a general rule).

Keeping it supposedly helps with pelvic floor support. Also sexually I enjoyed the feeling of it being stimulated - what I will miss are the uterine contractions during orgasm - but hopefully becuase I was able to keep so much of my body intact, the effect will be minimul.
Unread 04-29-2005, 10:27 AM

There are basically two reasons women cite for keeping their cervix: pelvic support and sex.

There have been various reports that it does help and some that it doesn't make any difference with pelvic support to keep the cervix. Some doctors recommend removing the cervix if you have prolapse issues, they just redo the support in the pelvic area without.

Then there's sex. Studies have been done that sex is good if not better after a hysterectomy, though I've never seen a breakdown of them for women who keep their cervix and those who remove it.

One of the important things you need to investigate for yourself is what kind of orgasms you have. Some women have vaginal orgasms where they achieve climax through stimulation during intercourse of the "g" spot inside the vagina. Some women achieve climax through stimulation of the clitoris, which is not affected by the cervix. Removing the cervix sometimes takes a bit of the top of the vagina with it and therefore might interfere with the g spot and climax during intercourse.

If you want to keep your cervix you should probably be tested for the high risk strains of the human papilloma virus which can cause cervical cancer. A positive test doesn't necessarily mean that you should have your cervix removed, but it does mean that you should be hyper-aware and get your paps regularly. Treatment for advanced cervical cancer can get tricky when you've had a hysterectomy.

I kept my cervix and have a great sex life, just like before surgery. Oh, Sandy, give yourself a little time, I also missed my uterine contractions, but after the swelling went down and I healed a bit more, things feel much like they used to.

For the record, my sister had a TAH about six years before me and she also reports a satisfying sex life.

Also, read up on the mini-period, there are a couple of threads going on about that as well.

Take care.
Unread 04-29-2005, 10:50 AM

Hi Bell-Chan,

I am part of the cervix retaining group also. I kept my cervix for many of the same reasons as the other ladies posted. I am now one year post-op and in my opinion, I feel my cervix has benefited me.

I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and I have not had a mini-period in post-op. You might check with your Dr. about that.

And...as other ladies shared, it really just warrants a pantyliner at that time of the month.

Best wishes. The cervix is a very personal decision and you will make the right choice for yourself.

Mary
Unread 04-29-2005, 10:57 AM

if you stress to your surgeon that you really won't be impressed with a mini-period he should take extrra care to remove all edomitrial cells that cover your cervix. (this can be verified on your hystology report afterwards)
Unread 04-29-2005, 11:40 AM

I was like you a few weeks ago researching high and low over keeping or not keeping my cervix and in the end decided to keep it.
I think what one woman said influenced me a lot and that was if it isn't broken don't fix it.
I also didn't want to take any risks with my sexual function if I could avoid it.
Thankfully I could avoid it.
Post-op now three weeks I am grateful that my vagina feels the way it always has and although my sweetie and I haven't had "at it" yet I know that I am functioning normally,took myself for a test run.(too much info,sorry) everything the same.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register