Ovarian Cyst, 'Septae'? and lose 2 Stone!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cyst, 'Septae'? and lose 2 Stone!!! Ovarian Cyst, 'Septae'? and lose 2 Stone!!!

Unread 04-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Ovarian Cyst, 'Septae'? and lose 2 Stone!!!

Hi there

I'm not sure whether to start from the beginning or start at the end and work backwards. I had vaginal ultrasound this morning and they found the cyst on my right ovary has grown from 5 to 6.5 cm. The consultant doing the scan said he could remove my ovary and tube with keyhole, but that I would have to lose 2 stone first?!

I'll start at the very beginning (sorry this is a little topsy-turvy). I had a myommectomy in 2000, but the fibroids grew back, and so I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in 2001. They removed my cervix at that time, as well as a cyst on my left ovary.

I started to get abdominal lower back and hip pain (on the right), as well as a feeling of fullness/bloating and feeling like I hadn't quite 'finished' when gonig to the toilet. I had a scan just over 7 months ago where they found "a complex right ovarian cyst with at least two septae".

At the time the consultant suggested a 'wait and see' conservative approach, with no other treatment other than to repeat the scan in 6 months. That's what I had this morning, and now I don't know where to go from here, or what questions to ask when/if I hear from my own Consultant once he gets the results of the scan.

Has anyone else been told to lose weight before they can remove an ovary/cyst via keyhole surgery. And does anyone know what a 'septae' is. The first scan also showed a moderate amount of 'echogenic fluid' - again, any ideas what this is? Finally can a cyst develop into cancer, and does cancer always get picked up in a CA125 blood test?

I am 37 years old (the doctor asked me my age this morning). As you can imagine I am very tired and emotional and more that a little confused .

thanks

Jazz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2005, 08:39 AM

Hello (((Jazz)))

Found a conversion chart on the net so I could see what you are facing weight loss wise. [2 stone = 28 lbs in US terms.] Depending on your total weight, this might be a very responsible recommendation from your consultant. Excess weight does make surgery more complex, especially microsurgery.

Have you been given the option to just remove the cyst and biopsy it and if its benign then try and save the ovary? I should think that may be a viable option for you. What are your thoughts on that?

I am guessing septae = septum which is a wall of sorts. For instance you have a septum in your nose that divides the two nostrils.
Unread 04-30-2005, 05:37 PM

Jazzz4, One of the ways that they classify cysts is by any structures that are seen in them. A simple cyst is a clear round fluid filled bubble. Almost always benign. A complex cyst refers to anything seen within the cyst. A single division makes the cyst something more than simple. How worrysome the cyst is depends on the thickness of the division and how many there are. My cyst was thought to have a single thin division. Turns out what looked like a division or septation was just artifact. Every ultrasound I had showed something that was not there. I had a simple cyst. Size is also a concern. The absolute size will vary according to the reference but most doctors will want to remove anything over 5cm. Size of the cyst also has something do with wheather or not it can be removed laproscopically. I have no idea how the size of the patient affects the decision but if my surgeon was not comfortable doing something I sure wouldn't want that person doing it on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2005, 05:47 PM

Hello,

I had my LAVH 3 years ago. I had another surgery 11 months ago to remove my right ovary and adhesions; I started having problems with cysts about two years after my hysterectomy - my doctor had been watching the cysts for any changes. They had gotten larger and turned from simple, fluid-filled cysts to complex, solid-mass cysts. My surgery was done laparoscopically. The right ovary was adhered to the top of the vaginal cuff and covered with adhesions and cysts - it was removed. My left ovary had some fluid filled cysts that were drained and then the ovary was wrapped in mesh to protect it.

Some cysts go away on their own - some need to be removed. I needed to have the right ovary removed because the cysts changed from simple, fluid-filled cysts to complex, solid-mass and my pain was greatly increased. My doctor said when a cyst begins to change in size and appearance (complex & solid) it needs to be evaluated surgically.

Whether or not cysts need to be removed depends on the size of the cyst, its appearance, any symptoms you may be having related to the cyst. Sometimes just the cyst can be removed and the ovary can be saved.

Here is a link that describes types of cysts:

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/ova...ariancysts.htm

Unread 05-02-2005, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's good to hear from people who have had similar experiences, and know a little more about the language used by technicians and doctors. I was actually very surprised when the doctor mentioned removing the whole ovary (and my right fallopian tube) rather than just the cyst.

He did say the other ovary was OK, so I assume that would keep me going as far as hormones are concerned?

Although the CA125 I had 6 months ago was normal, my worst fear is that there is something cancerous that hasn't shown up yet. I remember my consultant jokingly saying that my body liked to grow fibroids (after they grew back within a year of the myommectomy), and I just pray that my body doesn't like to grow anything else .

I'm also worried about where the free fluid comes from and what exactly it is ...?

Thanks for the support.

Jazz
Unread 05-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Hi Jazz...

The reason I had my hyst in the first place is because the doc found a "complex" cyst. I believe it was about 5 cm. He told me that I'd have to have an oophorectomy--don't know why he couldn't have just taken the cyst. I think he said it was too large. The hyst was thrown in because I'd had fibroids for years, and though they were never symptomatic, I was having very long bleeds and he said that the fibroids were distorting my uterus.

When they got in, it turns out that the cyst had been a simple one and had ruptured before surgery! I'm sure I need to lose more than 2 stones, but my surgery was done laparoscopically. They told me that they would surround the ovary with a bag, puncture it to drain it, and then pull the bag through the hole. He also said that my other ovary would pick up most of the slack. He said that menopause might come a few years earlier. Of course, none of this happened anyway!

I asked the doc if my cyst, fibroids and dysplasia were related and he said they weren't, but that my body seemed to like to "grow things."

Good luck to you. Maybe it's time for a 2nd opinion?

Hugs,

Margot
Unread 05-02-2005, 03:23 PM

Hi Jazz,

Finally can a cyst develop into cancer, and does cancer always get picked up in a CA125 blood test?

In answer to your questions above, yes, some cysts can turn cancerous and the CA125 can be negative but you can still have cancer.

This happened to my sister. She had a TAH initally for fibroids and bleeding between periods. Ultrasound and CT scan showed a cyst on the right ovary. The CA125 came back clean and none of us expected the outcome to be ovarian cancer stage 1, class A.

When she healed from the surgery she did 4 sessions of chemo, lost her hair including her eye lashes but she's alive and getting her strength back. That was Dec 14th, 2004, I had my hyster March 17th of 05 and had no cancer. My hurtle was a blood clot that went to my lung.

I don't tell you this to scare you. Knowledge is power and I'm telling you this because even if it is cancer, you will be ok. Keep positive and have faith.

God bless,
Unread 05-04-2005, 07:53 AM

(((Jazzz)))

I can respond to the free fluid ... at least what I was told by a gyn recently. He said that fluid is released when a cyst ruptures and directs the fallopian tube where to go to pick up the egg. When I had free fluid he said it was just another sign that a cyst had ruptured the week before (that and what looked like a huge cavity in my ovary on the ultrasound monitor!) No wonder it hurt so badly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register