BSO and Vaginal Scar Reconstruction ! Help Had vaginal hysterectomy 10 months ago! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

BSO and Vaginal Scar Reconstruction ! Help Had vaginal hysterectomy 10 months ago! BSO and Vaginal Scar Reconstruction ! Help Had vaginal hysterectomy 10 months ago!

Unread 04-29-2005, 12:07 PM
BSO and Vaginal Scar Reconstruction ! Help Had vaginal hysterectomy 10 months ago!

Hi everyone... Hopefully someone can help me here. I had a vaginal hysterectomy 10 months ago and kept overies. Lack of better judgement of my old quack doctor she wouldnt remove them even though I was having problems. After surgery she didnt do anything for me including seeing me after getting a massive infection at the vaginal cuff after surgery. Needless to say I am seeing a wonderful doctor now !! Thank God!! My ? now is I started having problems again with overy pain and many other symtoms that left me in pain all the time. I went to the doctor yesterday and he did another vaginal ultrasound and I was told that the sists I have on my overy's are getting bigger and have gotten bigger since my last ultrasound last month. I have so much pain I cant even explain. The doctor is scheduling me to have a BSO... total removal of my tubes and overies. I need some help with what to expect... My doctor will be removing them with the scope in the hospital. I will have to go on hormones and I am a little scared of how I will feel after surgery. Does it affect you right away.? I know that surgical menapause is bad but what will I have to not look forward to is what I am wondering. Does anyone also know how long the recovery is from this. I will be 31 13 days after surgery. I cannot wait to feel some relief from all of this misery. Thank you so much to anyone who has any awnsers for me. I have posted on other forums but never got alot of feedback... I feel so alone through this...

Thank You
Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2005, 02:48 PM
BSO and Vaginal Scar Reconstruction ! Help Had vaginal hysterectomy 10 months ago!

You might consider a second opinion on the need to remove your ovaries. What kind of cysts do you have? If the cysts were removed how likely would you be to experience these problems in the future? These are important questions to have answered before consenting to surgical menopause. Your first doctor may not have explained why she was so reluctant to do a oophorectomy on you. At your age conservation of your ovaries should be a priority!

Unexplained pain can cause a lot of stress and anxiety, but it can be managed. Some of the consequences of an oophorectomy can also be managed but none as well as your own healthy functioning ovaries can do in the first place.
Unread 04-30-2005, 12:50 AM

Thanks Pearle for your comment about my overies... it helps to know there are concerned people out there. As for my old doctor.. well lets just say she was a quack. I had overian pain before surgery.. My surgery was done because of re-occuring pre cancer on my cervix, heavy periods.. etc. But she never would do a ultrasound to look at my overies. She said that they were fine. Well now here it is 10 months later and I have still had pain and it has gotton worse and worse as the months have passed. I dont really rememeber what kind of cysts he said they were but I know that he said that they have almost doubled in size in the last month since my last ultrasound. I know I am young and that was a concern of mine also but to tell you the truth I have been miserable since surgery and he said that the only way to get rid of the pain is to get rid of my overies. He said that they are very unhealthy and are the root, along with endo for all of my pain. Sex and just day to to day things are difficult to do for me. I also dont know if I mentioned that I have a history of overian cancer and huge fibroids in my family. It is all ?'s I have gone over and over in my own mind. It is so hard to deal with this pain and I dont want to become addicted to pain meds from all the meds I have to take just to get by. I appriciate your info and concern so much. I think that this is going to be the best thing for me , and I guess I can only pray that god will take care of me and let me live a normal or at least somewhat normal life with my husband and 3 beautiful little girls.

Life is too short to feel like this. I feel like it isnt normal to have to go through surgical menapause/ but yet I am too young to suffer from horrid pain each month and try to get by day to day at only 30 too. I guess what I have on the table is a cliche of 20/20. I just hope my case is the right decision and best choice for me.

Thanks
Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2005, 03:34 PM

Dee, you sound absolutely miserable. You have two very different opinions on your ovaries. Have you considered a third to try to save your ovaries? They are worth saving if at all possible. How does the current doctor know for sure that they are unhealthy? Don't they need to be looked at first? Just asking, I'm not an endo victim and my heart goes out to those of you who suffer from this cruel malady.
Unread 05-02-2005, 10:53 AM

Hi Pearle... I guess I have been pritty miserable as you stated. I dont know what else to do other then do what Im doing. My doctor is one of the best doctors in Kern County. He has been an obgyn for over 25 years and seems to really know what he is talking about. Part of the decision to take my overies has to do with painful intercourse, sists on both overies which have doubled in size in the last month and a half, and beyond painful examinations at my ob. I really am ready to get this over with.

I have a long line of overian cancer in my family also. I really do not and will not go through more surgery's. The fact for me is that I am going to have to have them taken anyways... most likely sooner then later. I would rather go through hot flashes, etc and take hormones the rest of my life then try to save them to face the truth. I dont want to get cancer and am afraid mentally and physically what that would do to my children if I were to get cancer and them have to see their mother suffer and possibly die by 40. I wish sometimes I had a normal life where I didnt have any problems female wise and be able to do things and have a normal sexual relationship with my husband. Hopefully that will still be an option for me and my husband. I really do.

You dont know how much you giving such support to me means. I check my mail daily and to see someone has wrote means so much..Thank You....

Talk to you soon I hope
Dee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register