No energy, loss of libido, etc. etc. etc. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No energy, loss of libido, etc. etc. etc. No energy, loss of libido, etc. etc. etc.

Unread 02-15-2001, 05:50 PM
No energy, loss of libido, etc. etc. etc.

Hi Sisters,
I had a LAVH/BSO and bladder tack on Dec. 14, 2000 and feel pretty crummy right now. I have had no major problems post op.

I am on the Climara patch 0.05md/day. I have noticed a rash under the patch on the day before I change it. I did develop headaches about 3 weeks post op, so I took the advice of several Hystersisters and tried the Progestreone 900 Cream. It seemed to relieve the headaches, but I am not a faithful user.

I called my OB/GYN today since I have lost all interest in EVERYTHING, loss of libido, no energy whatsoever, mood swings, muscle aches, headaches, weight gain and just plain tired. The nurse that returned my call said that I should not change hrt for three months! Is this true? I told her that I am NOT going to continue to feel this way for another two months!!! She asked me if I was depressed or stressed. I said, well, stressed yes...depressed...somewhat...because I am tired of being tired! She told me that I might need an antidepressant! Does this sound right to all of you senior hystersisters??? Why would we not want to find the hormonal problems instead of jumping into an anitdepressant?

I have an appointment on Monday. I hope that you can all help me to be informed beforehand. I have searched the site and read the pull down menu. I think I'm lost in the hormone jungle since I am so confused!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2001, 06:12 PM
Hang In There LKH

Sorry to hear that you are feeling so miserable. I find it interesting that Doctor's are so "QUICK" to place women on antidepressants. My advice would be to try a different HRT. It seems to me that this is obviously not working for you. Of course you are depressed because you are not feeling well.
From what I have read there is a higher incidence of skin irritation from the Climara Patch. I cannot speak from experience because I started on the Vivelle Dot tonight and really don't know how I will do. People I have talked to like the Vivelle Dot, it is smaller w/ less skin irritation.

Please don't give out hope. We will all feel well again, it is just a matter of finding the best HRT for us.

You can find my email address in my profile if you wish to email me directly.

Good luck to you.

Unread 02-16-2001, 01:24 AM
so thats why i haven`t heard from you

Lola....{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}!!
Remember when I was crying and crazy? It just seems so long to get this stuff straightened out, doesn`t it? I like my Estroven...that over the counter all natural stuff I buy at Walmart for 10 bucks! My warm and fuzzy feelings came back pretty quick ..the hot flashes are still lingering around. Just had a big night sweat and thats why I am up again at this hour...trying to cool off! I take flax seed now, too, and its cut down the 'private summers' but I still have them ... just not as often. Even my 'hyst hair' seems better lately. Remember that 11 lbs I lost? Well...double it and watch my hips....LOL! Maybe its all that ice cream I was eating while I was in chat with all of you. I am thinking of doing a bowel prep again to lose it....JUST KIDDING!! I`ve been going to my primary as she seems very open to this natural route and I asked her about the anti-depressant as here in the jungle many seemed to be needing one to get through the vines. She said...unless you really feel suicidal, lets try and work with some of the other options first. I liked that approach! I was really depressed about going back to work....just did not want that pressure back in my life again. Still not 'in the swing of it'...but that is not a bad thing! Just taking it slowly. I really don`t want that hectic pace back anyway, so if I can find a way to do it without the tension and still be efficient that would be a blessing. The surgery is really the least of it, isn`t it? Where the heck are all those angels when we need them?
Love ya' Lola bug! I am still in the same place...don`t be a stranger....my shoulders are getting bigger by the day, so there is always room for you if you need one to cry on!

{{{{{{{{{hormone hugs}}}}}}}}}}
kaatie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2001, 10:11 AM

Dear LKH
I am 10 weeks post today.I had a TAH/BSO, I know somewhat how you are feeling..I had NO energy or libido what so ever at around 6 weeks post...I asked my DR and he gave me some estratest samples to try.Well it has been 4 weeks since I started taking it..And I feel really good again,I have my libido back at FULL SPEED and I have lots of energy.Believe me I was so tired all the time, didn't want to do anything had no sex drive what so ever.There is alot of hrt out there..so Please get your dr to set down with you and discuss it.I was really persistant with my Dr, after all it is your life not his/hers.Please don't give up.
I am also on the climara patch..but I think I am going to stop that now that I am having good results with estratest.I don't want to much estrogen.

PS..I think we chatted the other night..I am KathyE16 in the chat room.

Kathy
TAH/BSO 12/08 FYBROIDS/ADENO
30 YEARS OF AGE
Unread 02-16-2001, 12:04 PM

I too am on the climara patch. I am 9 days postop. LAVH/BSO. I am really tired but then was told to expect that. I know alot about antidepressants, its my field. I think your Drs should try to look at the hormones first unless of course there is some reason to think you were depressed before all this started. At this stage of the game, I can't tell if I'm depressed or not, just glad that its over.

Whether you wind up with antidepressant..hey if it makes you better why not but you should also be addressing your depression in therapy....or just different hormones...we all are different and need what we need....we all should be able to get the right combination of things to feel good.

My dr. was clear that the patch was just his first cut at it and we would start fine tuning when he sees me next week. Don't give up. I'll be looking for more posts as I get further post op and into the jungle.
Unread 02-16-2001, 11:02 PM

Bumping this up in hopes that maybe the Hostesses can and will reply
Unread 02-17-2001, 01:00 PM

Hi, Lola. Sorry sorry you are feeling bad. I do get aggravated when I hear what doctors do to our poor dear sisters.

Generally doctors like to wait 4-8 weeks before changing hrt to let it stabalize. 3 months seems a little excessive. And, definitely if you are feeling very poorly, some action needs to be taken.

Try to talk to your doctor directly. I, also, am somewhat bothered by how quickly doctors prescribe anti-depressants. Many times the problem is hormone levels. Maybe some hormone testing is in order. They are not terrible reliable - but maybe they can give you some indication on what direction to take. Testosterone has done wonders for me in the area of energy and libido.

And if the doctor is not willing to work with you, maybe its time to start shopping around for a new one. I have been through many doctors before I found a dear.
Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register