Am I the only woman with this problem? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I the only woman with this problem? Am I the only woman with this problem?

Unread 04-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Am I the only woman with this problem?

Am I the only woman whose doctor did not tell her you could keep the cervix. I did not have cancer and he took out the cervix with the uterus. Later I found out about the supracervical hysterectomy where you keep your cervix. Now that I don't have a cervix sex does not feel the same - not as good as before and since my bladder no longer has the support of the cervix, I now have overactive bladder and incontinence. I just had a prolapsed uterus and a fibroid tumour in my uterus. I am now reading that the reason for the supracervical hysterectomy is because of the exact same problems I am having. I feel so betrayed and that I was treated horribly and I have to live with all of this for the rest of my life. Am I the only person who has had this happen to them?
Marciakay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2005, 04:56 PM

Hi ((((Marciakey))))

I no longer have my cervix, either, but I knew that supracervical hysts were possible, prior to my hyst. I had a TVH and I'm convinced that my recovery, overall, was a lot easier than if I'd had to deal with an external incision.

While it's true that the cervix has been known to help reduce the risks of prolapses and incontinence, as you know from having a prolapse pre-hyst, there is no guarantees. Same thing goes for incontinence issues and sexual issues.

I think that the majority of doctors still perform "traditional" hysts, involving the removal of the cervix and that some of them may not be familiar with other techniques. Since the cervix is part of the uterus, it's not always easy to know where the uterus ends and where the cervix starts. This may explain why you weren't offered a SAH.

That said, there are options and treatments available. Here's a link to our Resources Library where you'll find links to Bladder issues, Prolapse issues and sexual issues: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/link.php?s=

You may also want to visit the Hormone Jungle message board: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...111?styleid=14

Lots of s are going you way. Hopefully, you'll find some relief soon.
Unread 04-30-2005, 05:35 PM

Marciakay,
I am sorry you feel betrayed by your doc. I looked on your profile and you had a vaginal hyst---you have to have the cervix removed in this procedure. For a supracervical hyst it is an abdominal incision. Maybe the reasons for deciding on the vaginal hyst outweighed the loss of the cervix. I am sorry you feel that sex is different. Are you sure it is because of the loss of the cervix or maybe the loss of uterine contractions during orgasm. That is what most women experience losing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Re: Am I the only woman with this problem?

Hi (((MarciaKay))) I'm sorry you are still struggling with the issue of the removal of your cervix. Did you ever get closure with your DR by asking him/her why you weren't given the alternative of an SAH?

Your story sounded familiar, so I just read through all your prior posts... I had already replied to one which was very similar to this, over in our Aching Hearts forum, last September:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=164301

I'll say it again... you had your hyst for prolapse. There is no way your prolapsed cervix could have helped support your pelvic floor with or without the uterus attached. In fact, if your DR had left your cervix in place, it would have been dragging the rest of your pelvic organs downward, resulting in the very same incontinence you are dealing with now - except that now, there is the possibility of treating your incontinence successfully with the right combination of HRT's. So, imho, your DR did have your best interests in mind in not offering you the option of keeping your cervix. It's a shame that wasn't explained to you properly at the time, though... perhaps then you wouldn't still be having trouble accepting it.

I have noticed you've also posted other threads in different forums on this same subject, each time mentioning problems with sex because of not having your cervix:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=170049

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=170125

Each time, you've gotten some insightful replies from other members. I notice that you've never responded to them. Is there some other, different answer you're looking for that hasn't been offered yet? I'm at a bit of a loss here... to me it seems like rather a huge waste of your emotional energy to continue to agonize over a decision you never had any choice about anyway. Perhaps you'd do better to find a DR you feel more comfortable with, and work on finding HRT's that will help you feel better.

Wishing you brighter days ahead
s,
-Linda
Unread 04-30-2005, 09:51 PM

Hi Marcia
I had my TAH last May. It was a emergency situation, so I didn't get much of a chance to research my options. My dr. said he was going to remove the cervix also if he could get to it. He also said if he couldn't it may not of been a bad thing. he said alot of woman get sensations from there during intercourse.I was never given a option by my dr. He removed it. The pathology report said my cervix was normal. I could have kept it. I had adenomyosis, but it had not affected my cervix. I have noticed the loss of my uterus and cervix during intimency with my DH. I have also lost most sensation sensation inside. But I know I cannot change what was done. We do the best we can and make the best of it.
I know my dr. did what he felt was best. I do wish he would have given me the time and been given a choice to make.I am guessing he wanted to avoid ever having to open me up again. I already had 4 c sections and then would be having the hyst through the same incision line.
Since you had the vaginal hyst. the cervix had to be removed. It is the first part of the uterus.
I hope you can emotionally accept it and be able to move forward. I still think about it at times, but me just being alive and full of blood outweighs me losing my cervix.
Peggy
Unread 05-02-2005, 07:25 PM
I kept mine, but....

I will second the other ladies here in that just because you keep your cervix doesn't mean you won't have problems down the road. That's part of the reason why I am still here!

If you do a little more research on supracervical hysts, you will find that this surgery has gone in and out of favor over the years. It used to be the norm to leave the cervix, then dr's began to remove it as a general rule, now we are back to leaving the cervix when possible. If you keep reading, you will also see that many women have had issues with the retained cervix including bladder problems, unwanted mini-periods, prolapse, and in rare instances, fibroids have regrown in the cervical tissue. Some have even had a second surgery, called a tracheolectomy (? sp), to remove the retained cervical stump.

My O's feel different, too, and I suspect it was because of the uterine contractions as one of the other ladies has said. Kegels do help to keep the muscles toned and it has definitely helped me with increased sensation. Have you tried them? It may help.

I hope you are able to find some closure and peace with your decision.
Unread 05-03-2005, 09:24 AM
loss of cervix

Thank you all so much for your replies to my post on not knowing I could keep the cervix. You all have helped so much -- you'll never know. I'm glad this message board is here. I can rest a little more peacefully now
Marciakay
Unread 05-05-2005, 08:12 AM

Marcia:

You are obviously in grief over the loss of your cervix. I don't think that will change for you until you work to change it. I urge you to seek out counselling.

As other sisters have said numerous times, your doctor should not give you options that are not appropriate. However, your doctor should have EXPLAINED how your options related specifically to your fact pattern. That's a bedside manner issue. Perhaps this doctor's personality and yours are not compatible?

I'd urge you to explore the option of finding a doctor who you trust. I am reading into your posts that you do not have confidence and trust in your doctor. If I felt that way, I'd change doctors!

Again I am sorry for your loss.
Unread 05-05-2005, 09:22 AM

Hi Marcia, I had SAH. I do have my cervix but sex is very different and less pleasurable than before. I now know that there are different kinds of "o" and I had strong uterine contractions with mine. So now IF I can actually have one, it feels like almost nothing :-(

I also have developed a rectocele, continued urinary problems, and mini-periods. I did have the option of what to do with my cervix because my hyst. needed to be abdominal due to uterine size. But that cervix has been a pain.

I really questioned my decision so many times. Now finally at 9 months later, I feel like I'm coming to acceptance. I can't change it back, however many times in the past months I've cried and agonized that if I COULD undo what I'd done, I would have.

Do you have a compassionate friend you can talk to? Maybe a few couseling sessions would help. You need to allow yourself to grieve your loss. Some women seem to feel so good about it. I didn't feel good before and certainly not after for quite awhile.

Sex is finally getting better. Part of that reason is that I sort of let go of any expectations and tried to just relax and not have high hopes of great, passionate love-making. I don't think it's ever going to be the same, but I believe in time, I'll find a new normal for me and it will be fulfilling. I think some anger at the dr's who minimize and tell us nothing will be differect afterwards should walk in our bodies a day.

Please do something that really makes you feel good, soon. How about a pedicure?? It's spring, time to make those toes pretty. Then love yourself, we are still strong, beautiful women, even without our uterus. (((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register