Menopause symptoms even with ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Menopause symptoms even with ovaries? Menopause symptoms even with ovaries?

Unread 04-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Menopause symptoms even with ovaries?

I'm now 4 days post-op, came home from the hospital this morning (finally... thank god!) and even though I had a TAH and kept my ovaries, I keep getting hot flashes, nasty mood swings, and other menopause-type symptoms (Sahara-style dryness, etc). My mother is over on the couch laughing her butt off at me fanning myself because of how much I made fun of her when she went off HRT a couple of years ago and went through the same thing. I suppose I could chalk it up to karma, but seriously, is it normal to have these type of symptoms even if you leave the ovaries? Holy jeez, one minute I feel like a walking furnace here, and then the next second I'm freezing again. And if it is normal, is there anything I can do? This really *****! I feel so much more sympathy for women going through this for real! *goes back to fanning*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2005, 08:26 PM

I have been told that your Ovaries can go into shock after your Hyster.I've also heard that you can go into surgical Menopause.I'm NOT sure if either are correct though.I would call your Dr and ask.
I sometimes get VERY warm so I shed some clothes and then a few mintues later I'm freezing.I just chalk it up to my body trying to readjust from having MAJOR surgury and work done to it.
I'd call your Dr and ask what you can do in the meantime.Good luck.(BTW, I sleep with 2 fans plus a ceiling fan year round to keep from getting too hot---cause I'm a fluffy gal)
Unread 04-30-2005, 09:38 PM

Hi Kris,

Sounds like it could be "sleeping ovaries". Ovaries can sometimes shutdown for several weeks in post-op due to the trauma of surgery.

As Tammarree mentioned, check with your Dr. He might be able to put you on temporary HRT. Also, you might ask to have a hormone test done to check your hormone levels.

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2005, 05:23 AM

Hi Kris,

I had my LSH on 3/17/05 and it turned me into the wicked witch!! The hot flashes and night sweats were unbearable and so was I. The Dr gave me 1 month worth of hormone patches to get me through until my ovary starts working again (I only have one). My Dr. said the ovary can go into shock and stop working for a while after surgery, it's similar to post-partum depression.

I only have 1 week of patches left, sure hope my ovary is awake!
Unread 05-01-2005, 06:20 AM

I have been told the same thing regarding the"SLEEPING" ovaries. Although the hotflashes have not been my main concern, I have been an emotional basket case for the past few days. Usually an extremely up and optimistic person, I now feel like I can't smile and I cry at anything and everything. I have shared how I feel with my friends and family, but feel like a downer and a nusence. How do I get through this without feeling even more useless and depressed? When will it end?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register