Had TAH, piece o'cake! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Had TAH,   piece o'cake! Had TAH, piece o'cake!

Unread 02-16-2001, 07:18 AM
Had TAH, piece o'cake!

Proverb of the day for LIW.. "Don't expect the worst". I had my TAH on 2/13, came home yesterday at about 3:00 P.M. The only problems I had was some nausea (this was really unexpected) late P.M. the day of surgery, with two more episodes later through mid-morning the next day. Also, I was still on a clear liquid diet when I went home because I hadn't passed gas yet. Phenergan injections worked for the nausea, although they totally put you to sleep so I'm not sure how I would have known if I was still nauseus. I promised to continue clear liquid until my bowels started to cooperate so my doc released me to go home. I never thought the day would come when I actually prayed for a toot.

Going home was blessed relief. I found the hospital bed to be very uncomfortable and never really got in a good position. When I got home I pretty much napped off and on until 11:30 until my husband came and woke me up to go to bed.

Pain: I stayed on the PCA button through the first day and night, which did a pretty good job of controlling the pain. The pain dropped dramatically the day after surgery, although they kept the PCA in until that afternoon because I wasn't even having bowel sounds yet and they couldn't start me on a liquid diet, just ice chips, until bowel sounds started and I guess drugs by mouth had to wait. At this point, I am shocked at how little pain I am in. When I first got up this morning I was really stiff and sore but that passed quickly, took one tylox take the edge off. I was actually in more pain after my Sept laparoscopy. This really surprises me because I'm basically a big baby, so I'm really pleased at the outcome.

Urination: I was worried about getting a UTI from the catheter or not being able to pee when it was removed. It turn out fine, I turned the water on the first several times which helped. Going was slow and took a while the first day off the catheter, but everything is in working order and no UTI.

Swelling: the day of surgery, my stomach was flat, the next day it was blown up like a blow fish. Yesterday and today, it is swollen, but more "normal" like you might expect after a major injury.

Ladies that have trouble relaxing or just sitting around might have problems if they end up feeling as good as I do, because they would be tempted to overdo. Luckily, I have no problem letting things go when neccesary so I'm sitting on the bed, writing this on my new laptop. My plan is walk laps around the house, nap, laps, nap, etc.

I am so utterly amazed at what a breeze this has been so far. I had positive expectations, which I think is very important, but this is even better than what I expected. My prayers that everyone else's comes out as well.

FG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2001, 07:23 AM
Had TAH, piece o'cake!

Congrats on your Crown!! I am going in for a TAH in April so this gives me some hope that all will go well. I pray your continued recovery goes equally as well. Take care and let us know how you are doing.
Unread 02-16-2001, 08:26 AM
Had TAH, piece o'cake!

Great news! You must remember, REST is the key, don't forget that!

God bless you,
Queena

TAH BSO AP APPIE adeno Jan 26
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2001, 09:29 AM
Thanks

Stories like yours and several of the other ladies really help me. I am 4 days away and had several crying spells.I feel like a big baby at times.This weekend my family is going away to a murder mystery weekend event.There will be 9 of us and I just pray I can relax and have some fun.Any more helpful advice would be great.You can email me at [email protected] Thanks for the uplift
Unread 02-16-2001, 11:29 AM
Had TAH, piece o'cake!

FG - Glad to hear your surgery went well. It takes awhile for anest. to leave your system...so that may be part of the reason you're not having much pain right now. Continue to REST, REST, REST - feet up.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register