what was done to me at pre op testing visit- just an FYI | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what was done to me at pre op testing visit- just an FYI what was done to me at pre op testing visit- just an FYI

Unread 05-05-2005, 04:55 AM
what was done to me at pre op testing visit- just an FYI

Hi,
I know there has been questions posted on what happens at your pre op visit. Well I had one with my Dr at the office where he just did another exam, explained some more things, filled out paperwork and made sure we were both on the same track.

Yesterday I had my pre op admission testing. First I had to sign MORE paperwork and hand in my living will and other advanced directives. My Dr office had given me to fill out and notorize if I desired. I figured it is not costing me anything might as well be prepared.
Then a girl came in and did my blood work. I must say she drew blood better than I had ever had it done. I usually have alot of trouble with people finding veins, but no trouble at all with her.
Then I had a EKG where they attached electrodes to chest, ankles, arms etc and it only took a few minutes and was painless.
Then a nurse came in and she wanted me to explain what led up to me having this surgery in my own words, and took down all past medical history and current meds, and special dietary concerns etc. Then she went into detail about what would happen that day when I came in and what would go on in the next several days. I found out all their rooms are private, I get my NG tube in AFTER I am asleep which I was a little worried about, I will get a pain pump(already knew) and I won't be able to have nothing but ice chips for the first couple days due to the bowel resection. Due to hooking up the NG tube to wall I won't be able to walk the halls just alittle around my room. Wasn't too happy about that.
Then she took me step by step literally where I would go that morning so I would know exactly what to do that morning. She even showed me where the cafeteria was for my hubby.
Everyone was so so super nice and not hurried and seemed to be able to take all the time in the world with me.
I thought it would REALLY sink in I was having this done, but I guess it still feels like it is happening to someone else. In a way anyways. But I think about things alot more now, but I am not in hold me down I am a wreck mode yet.
Like I said, this is just an FYI on what went on since there seems to be alot of questions on it lately. BUT everyone is totally different. Some people need chest x-rays and such too, and other hospitals do everything totally different.
My experience was great. Take care to all of you!!! Tiffany
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2005, 07:00 AM

It's nice when you have a good positive experience like that. I had a good one too ( very long but good). I think that it helps calm the fears a bit

Best wishes, I'll pray that your surgery and recovery go as smoothly for you.

s
Unread 05-05-2005, 07:47 AM

Tiffany, thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you are very blessed to have such a good castle and staff.

I go for my pre-op on 5/12 and hope to have as good an experience as you did.

Good Luck and prayers for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2005, 11:05 AM

Speaking of pre-op, I have my pre-op with my ob/gyn on May 31st (surgery is June 2nd). He also wants me to have a pre-op with the onc/gyn who will be performing the surgery. When I spoke to the surgeon's office to set up the appointment, they were very surprised that I needed one. She said that normally you don't have a pre-op with him (at least that's their norm). Now I don't know if I should be worried that my ob/gyn wants me to have a pre-op with the surgeon because things are worse than I'm thinking, or if he's just being extra careful or something. Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm SO scared about this whole thing I may need to ask for some Valium or something by the time my surgery date rolls around, lol.

Very best of luck to all of you ladies, and here's hoping for a speedy recovery for everyone.
Unread 05-05-2005, 11:32 AM

Hi Tiffsue. When they are ready for you to walk in the hall they can plug up the end of the NG tube. When you are through walking they just hook the end back to the suction. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register