Hospital Stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital Stay Hospital Stay

Unread 05-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Hospital Stay

Thank you for the responses to my last questions. This site has really made me feel better about going into surgery.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how long the usual hospital stay is. Just a general idea of how long some of you had to stay.
Than you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Re: Hospital Stay

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkroses
Thank you for the responses to my last questions. This site has really made me feel better about going into surgery.
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how long the usual hospital stay is. Just a general idea of how long some of you had to stay.
Than you.
Unread 05-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Hospital Stay

Hi There!

I reported for "duty" at 12pm last Thursday, my surgery (SAH, bikini cut, kept cervix & ovaries) was from 3:30p-4:45P, I passed all my "tests" and was sprung at 11:30am on Sunday! It probably depends on what you are specifically having done and maybe insurance has something to do with it, too.

Good luck and take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Hospital Stay

Hi Pinkroses!
I had my TAH on 3-18-05. I was in the hospital for 3 days, I was released on the morning of 3-21-05. The day after surgery the nurses usually insist that you get out of bed to walk a little. I actually got out of bed that night. For some strange reason I felt as though I had to get up. I had a catheter so I didn't have to visit the ladies room, I guess it was the morphine. They have you to walk so that your bowels will start stirring because they won't you to have a bowel movement before they release you.

When is your surgery scheduled?
Unread 05-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Hospital Stay

I was in for 4 days - though i could have stayed 5 if i had wanted to. ( I was tempted as the food was gorgeous!)

Getting up and moving as soon as you are encouraged to is good not just for your bowels -but more importantly for your circulation as it aids healing and prevents blood clots.

No-one was interested in my bowels at the hopsital Though I had to show the physio I was safe to manage stairs before I could leave.
Unread 05-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Hospital Stay

My surgery (TAH) was 1-12-05 (Wednesday). Seems like it has been so long since then, but not really. Only 3 months, but I feel great. My surgery was scheduled for 9am so I was to be at the hospital by 7am. My surgery was about 1 & 1/2 hours. I was released to go home on Saturday around 12:00. For me, I was to pass gas before I was released to go home. Friday night was the magic night and by the next morning I was good to go. The BM happened the next night, Sunday. It really does depend on how you are feeling and your Dr's requirements before they'll let you leave. The one thing I would stress is that you really need to walk ALOT. It really helps to get things moving. The first day, of course, you really can't eat anything (nor did I feel like it anyway). But by the second day I was able to eat liquid stuff. By Thursday afternoon, the nurses were encouraging me to eat something that I thought might help me pass the gas so I could go home. I had some trouble getting my appetite back. Unfortunately that didn't last long. HA!

Good luck to you.
Unread 05-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Hospital Stay

Hi,
Had my sugery at 2:00 on a Friday, didn't get to my room until 8:30PM. They sent me home Sunday morning aroung 10:30. They would have released me earlier, but I asked for a pain pill, and they make you wait an hour after giving you a narcotic. They didn't care(or even ask) if I had a bowel movement, and didn't care about stairs. As long as I could urinate and pass gas (which I wasn't really doing much, but I lied- they send you home. If my surgery was earlier in the day, I could have gone home the next day.
Unread 05-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Hospital Stay

Hi pinkroses...

I just got home this morning, and I went to the Castle monday morning this week.

So, three full days, three nights. I did get to eat breakfast there this morning, which was nice.

FiberGeek
Unread 05-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Hospital Stay

Let me clarify something since I am noticing that no one elses doc or nurse asked about bowel movements. My doc was concerned because one of my tumors had been sitting on my colon and he wanted to be sure that after removing the tumor (that was also pressing against my liver) my bowels were functioning the way they should. The nurse also told me that after major surgery they usually make sure that the patient is urinating and having successful bowel movements. All I can say is that I had good care while in the castle.
Unread 05-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Hospital Stay

We must be very lucky in England because the usual stay is 5 to 7 days.

Just you watch with my luck they will kick me out early.

choccie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register