so confused and lost - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

so confused and lost so confused and lost

Unread 05-10-2005, 08:27 AM
so confused and lost

Dawn:

Not exactly all that I wished for. I am glad she was kind. Seems you still have quite a few unanswered questions. I urge you to call the doctor today and follow up with your questions. At least the nurse should return your call and help you sort thru everything.

Spastic colon is an older term for IBS. So, you didn't really mis-speak. I was misdiagnosed with "spastic colon" years ago. The problems of my bowel were caused by endo which was not diagnosed at the time. Landed me in the ER one night and I referred to a GI doc. Well, he tried to answer it within his specialty. I don't blame him for that, but I do consider it a life lesson ... consider the source.

I encourage you to follow up with the GI doctor. You sound way too distressed by the pain to wait 6 weeks. Perhaps the doctor you saw yesterday did not realize how the pain is effecting you. Mention it again in your call.

Good luck to you! I know the exam was painful, but she found something and that something can now be addressed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2005, 10:41 AM
so confused and lost

Michelle thank you for clarifying that. I did research last night after posting and realized that IBS what spastic colon used to be called. So I am greatful that I did not mis-speak. I think I am thinking about the other one, IBD.

Couple of things that you and Dany and Lulu, made me think of as I read your replies:

Lulu - Your Rx may help for the time being but the original problem may still be there and the Rx will just put it into " remission" of a sort.

1. Bentyl is nothing more than an antispasmodic relief whereas I thought it was more than that. So yes I guess "the original problem may still be there.

Dany - However, I would try and give the Bentyl a chance: Bentyl is used to relieve colonic spasms and may be just what you need to ease the pain.

2. I do want to give the rx a chance, but don't want to just buy time (6 weeks) and not feel like I used those 6 weeks to heal.

Michelle - The problems of my bowel were caused by endo which was not diagnosed at the time

3. That (bowel prob due to endo) is what Dr. A is wondering and is why she wants to see what I looked like prior to hyst.

So I def feel all those things and I am torn as to which way I "lean" the most.

On one hand I want to take these pills, wait for all dr's to get MRI results. Then see if anything changes. Which BTW, a side effect of these pills is, get this CONSTIPATION ERGH!! that makes no sense at all when I already don't want to strain!

On the other hand I do not want to wait 6 weeks, on the pills, (masking it with them) then go see dr A, then basically start all over and go see a GI??

ok ok one more hand- I am wondering if although she is a urologist and onocologist that she is holding onto the endo or spastic colon, or diseased bowel due to too much estrogen, ideas, when in fact this is a little out of her speciality?

I love you ladies for being here for me, and I am so deeply greatful!! Thank you, and let me know when I am not so self-centered when and how I can help you thru your suffering!!
Unread 05-10-2005, 10:56 AM
so confused and lost

Dawn:

3 hands! ... this is just what I get busted on ... overthinking. So, when are you just sorting thru everything logically and when are you overthinking ??? Don't ask me.... I'm not sure ... See what I mean....

I know what you're going thru. I hope you find a path soon that's good for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2005, 11:59 AM
so confused and lost

HI! MY NAME IS KIM DAWN,
AND I AM AN OVERTHINKER!!

Thanks for the laugh!! glad I am not alone.

I took the advice here and called the nurse. Wow what a difference a day makes. The nurse called me back within minutes. She was so helpful, typed in everything I was asking or saying. Took her time and made me feel really listened too.

Dr A is at another office until this Thurs so nurse Jennifer said she will talk to her give her the notes, and then will call me no later than Fri.

Basic question being asked is her plan? - and what about seeing a GI dr. So will see!! It would appearthat she is being hush hush about a "feeling" she has that Jen shared w/ me - that maybe there are "ovarian remenent pieces left".

I am absolutely determined to put all of this in GOD's hands, take a break from thinking, take the pills, and wait until Friday!!

WHEW, this aughta be a challenge!
Unread 05-10-2005, 04:04 PM
so confused and lost

I had to take Bentyl once when my gallbladder was trying to kill me.

A good remedy for the potty problems is a pill that Milk of Mag makes. It's a stool softner and it doesn't cause any belly aches or any of that ugly stuff. I've got/had IBS and all the lovely effects of that for years , run to potty....then it's a chore just to go!...but the M-O-M pills have made life so much more predictable for me.

Your local WalMart has them....and they are kind you can take every day AND they have added calcium...always a good thing!
Unread 05-12-2005, 06:24 AM
so confused and lost

Thank you I will try the MOM pill!!

Well I got a phone call from the wishy washy dr M and here is what she said!

I have degenerative disc disease. And what she thinks is a bulge. I aslo have anular tears in the cartilage area.

She said she doesn't think it is a rectocele, but remember she also said no cystocele.

She was honest enough to say "I really do not know how to interrupt this MRI. And she will call me today with a referral. She wants to suggest and Orthopedic Surgeon.

DH says, not to trust her, and take much stock until Dr A sees the same MRI. So I am waiting to her from Dr A. Hopefully today, and here her interruptation.

So can anyone tell me their opinion of the ddd, and the tears? And what type of dr they had to go to??

Is this what you call fissures here on this site??
Unread 05-12-2005, 07:58 PM
so confused and lost

I'm also an overthinker (as DH will willingly corroborate!!!) and know all about the "whatif" syndrome I wonder if it's one of those female issues

(((Kim Dawn)))) It does sound like you have a good doctor with a good staff who is trying to figure things out. And that's always good news.

One thing you could do is give the Bentyl a chance. If, after a week or so, you don't feel any better, then go for plan B: referral to a GI doctor. That way, you would be going in with added knowledge... and the satisfaction of knowing that you'd given Bentyl a chance.
Unread 05-13-2005, 07:00 AM
God I am SO Scared!!

After all this time, after all the tests and dr. appt. We got devastating news...

After 16 yrs my husband for the first time in our lives was let go from his job. Dear God we don't have insurance now. And if I get COBRA or another job's offered ins. I may not get to have DR. A that has been a blessing to me with answers.

And when we got our mail, I got a letter from my employment, If I can not return to work by next Friday, which I can't they are asking for me to resign!!!!

Oh my God I am so scared, worried, and numb!

Now where do I go from here?? :confuse:
Unread 05-13-2005, 10:02 AM
so confused and lost

Can your employer legally force you to resign when you're basically on " sick leave"? I would think they would have to wait until you are cleared by your Dr's.

I'd check into that...sounds a bit hasty on their part.
Unread 05-13-2005, 01:30 PM
so confused and lost

Dawn:

Employees with medical disabilities are probably protected under the American's with Disabilities Act. You may want to call the US Department of Labor, explain your situation and ask them for advice and how the rules apply in your circumstance. They are the experts.

s for all you are going thru. What a nightmare. Someday you'll look back and wonder how you did it! But, you will do it. You'll get thru this.

Keep us posted!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register