Laparoscopic Supracervical Hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic Supracervical Hyst Laparoscopic Supracervical Hyst

Unread 05-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Laparoscopic Supracervical Hyst

Has anyone had this procedure done? It sounds like the best way to go, I'm hoping the Dr. in Seattle will do it. Its hard to do all this being 1,000+ miles away in Alaska. My dr. here won't even do a lap assisted hyst, and not because of my situation, she just doesn't do them.

My pre-op is scheduled for May 31, surgery on June 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2005, 05:47 PM

Wow! You sure have a ways to travel!

Yes, I've had an LSH and so have many, many women on this site. Most have been *very* happy with it.

Will you be keeping your ovaries? Do you know about the chance of mini period if the ovaries and cervix are kept? Have you ever had any problems with your cervix in the past (like dysplasia)?

The LSH is usually the least painful and the most easy to recover from. But, like any surgery, it isn't risk free. Make sure that you are a good candidate and that your surgeon has lots of experience.

Good luck to you!

Margot
Unread 05-06-2005, 05:54 PM

Thank you! I have one ovary left, the dr. had to remove my right one 2 years ago due to so much endo damage. I've done so much research and the LSH sounds the best, and my new dr. will let me know soon.

I've never had any abnormal paps, had a wonderful delivery of my darling daughter 10 years ago, and no cervix problems. I'm not sure if my left ovary is damaged with endo now, but will know soon. I've heard that leaving an ovary(s) can still leave a patient with endo problems, so something I definetly need to discuss with the doc.

I'm nervous about flying 2 1/2 hours 3 days after surgery, probably won't be much fun. I'm thinking I'll need a wheelchair at the airport to help with having to walk so far.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2005, 08:54 PM

Hi AK*Angel,

I also had a LSH, which is a less invasive hyst. I am one year post op now and I am still very pleased with my surgery results.

I can suggest you also discuss cauterization with your Dr. at your pre-op. I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and I have not had a mini-period in post-op.

I took two weeks off from work for post-op then started back to work with my Dr's okay. Just delegated and paced myself. I think the first 6 weeks is the most important for healing wih all us Hyster Sisters. Just remember to get lots of rest.

Definitely get the wheelchair at the airport. Be a Princess. I thought walking was the best exercise in post-op and I suggest not too much walking the first few days. You will want to take it slow.

Best wishes.

Mary
Unread 05-07-2005, 12:02 AM

Hi there,

I had a LSH on Jan 18th. I live in Canada (west coast) but just moved here 2 years ago from Los Angeles. My doc in LA delivered all three of my kids (2 by c-section) and performed my tubal. I of course felt very confortable with him and elected to fly there to have my surgery. He also has done many LSH procedures. Please ask your Dr how many he has done.

That being said. I'm not sure if 3 days is enough time before flying. My Dr thought he would like to keep me around for at least a week. That is what I did. I had no problem flying home. I was off all pain meds and had been checked by my Dr. before I left. I also flew back at four weeks for another exam at which time I was cleared for all activities.

My questions would be: Do you have a Dr in Alaska that can check on you? Do you have someone traveling with you to help? Does your Dr. know that you will be travaling so soon after surgery? Will your insurance company insure you or are you becoming high risk?? I know so many questions. Feel free to private message me if you want to discuss this further.

I am really happy with the outcome of my surgery. The recovery (for me) has been uneventful and pretty easy. Still it is major surgery and I'm glad your exploring your options.

Sirap
Unread 05-07-2005, 11:32 PM

AK Angel,

I had LSH on 1/28 and am very happy. The surgery for me was not as bad as I had imagined, in fact I really didn't feel pain, just swelling and discomfort. I felt really good at about 3 weeks, however, followed the advice of hystersisters and resisted the urge to overdo things. Went back to work at 6 weeks and have been great ever since. I still get swelly belly, but not as much as before. I can tell it's going away.

Good luck to you!

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register