UPsetting News..AND I WANNA CRY.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

UPsetting News..AND I WANNA CRY.. UPsetting News..AND I WANNA CRY..

Unread 05-06-2005, 10:57 PM
UPsetting News..AND I WANNA CRY..

I went today for lab work & to talk to the anatesialogist..Wellll...They said my throat is very tiny & that I will have to be awake when the put the breathing tube in...He said they would give me a sadative & 4 shots in my neck with this stuff to gargle so I wouldn't feel it but I mean dang it is still scary..And that before he will take it out I will have to be wide awake and that I wll remeber them doing that....And he said that if he gets in there & doesn't think he can insert a breathing tube he will cancell my surgery let the sedative wear off & send me home ..I mean my goodness after alll I have went thru I wont know for sure if I am gonna have surgery until I wake up UGHHHH..JUst the thought of being awke during the insert & removal has me scared out of my witss......SO now I am sitting here with 5 days left to surgery & just wanna cry....I go into the castle at 11 am wednesday & the surgery is scheduled for 1 pm..SO please please say a prayer for me that they will get the breathing tube in without any problems & I will have my surgery this coming wednesday..Right now I am just so frustratred..I am so close but yet so dern far away from my goal..Ughh..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2005, 11:05 PM

Hi sister!

I will say a prayer for you. I'm so sorry for what you must be going through. The surgery in itself is a scary thing and here you have to deal with this now. I know it's hard but try and think positive. Let God put you in his hands and take care of you, alright. The best of luck to you!
Unread 05-06-2005, 11:21 PM

I am so sorry to hear that you are having to face this already difficult surgery with even more obstacles. Have you talked to your surgeon or anesthesiologist at all about having an epidural or spinal instead of general anesthesia? You could then also get the "twilight" sedation so you won't remember any of it.

My understanding after talking to my own surgeon about it is that it is an option for every surgery except the laproscopic one. He said that when they inflate the abdominal area with the gas it creates a lot of pressure on the diaphram, which then causes pain both there and radiating to your shoulder, but more importantly can sometimes give you the feeling of being suffocated because you can't take a deep breath. He said that he has had patients that really wanted an epidurl with the laproscopic before, and most of them eventually end up having to recieve general partway through because they start to panic. But if you aren't having yours done laproscopiccaly (you didn't mention what kind you're having), I don't see why you wouldn't be a good candidate for epidural with optional twilight. I think that would be a lot less traumatic than being awake for the placement of the tube! If it works for people to be awake for c-sections, than it can work for hysterectomies too.

I will keep you in my thoughts, and please keep us posted on how you're doing. Hang in there...it will all be behind you soon.

Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2005, 11:24 PM

If they had told me all of that, I would be scared, too! Please don't worry too much, though, they do have to tell you all the complication possibilities ahead of time. Will he use a pediatric tube? I am assuming that it would be smaller than an adult tube.

The sedative will probably help to relax you, maybe even help you to forget it happened (many are amnesia-inducing). Also, when you say you are getting 4 shots in your neck...do you mean they will shoot a numbing spray into your throat before inserting the tube? I know they do this when inserting tubes into the stomach, I would think they would do the same for a breathing tube.

I will keep you in my prayers that your surgery will go as planned and you won't have any trouble with this procedure. Have faith and best wishes for a smooth recovery!

Maggiemay
Unread 05-06-2005, 11:32 PM

I had the stuff they will give you to gargle with and you won't feel a thing (it tastes terrible). I will say a prayer for you. Please keep us posted!!!
Unread 05-06-2005, 11:34 PM

Maple syrup are you in a larger city in Tennessee? At a larger hospital? My friend has a condition that makes entubation difficult and a solution was found for her using a small flexible tube. She has no memory of it.
Unread 05-07-2005, 12:18 AM

Hi Maple_Syrup,

I understand your feelings about the breathing tube. Hopefully isn't as bad as it sounds. I hope that they are able to get it in and out without any problems and your surgery will go on as scheduled.

You are in my prayers.

s

Deb
Unread 05-07-2005, 01:03 AM

Since they can intubate even tiny infants, they should have tubes of each size available. I've honestly never heard of a patient being expected to be awake for her own intubation

I would ask about either the spinal/epidural option, or ask what the anesthesiologist does with pediatric patients. You can ask for a different anesthesiologist, one who may feel more comfortable with doing whatever needs to be done to bring you through this safely. Most anesthesia groups have several doctors available; I'd ask about another referral should you feel at all uncomfortable with the plans as you describe them!

I hope you're able to find someone who can usher you through this with a minimum of trauma, mentally and otherwise!

Audrey
Unread 05-07-2005, 01:29 AM

You didn't mention which type of procedure you are having but if at all possible I'd ask about the possibility of having a spinal with "twilight" medicine. I had a TVH/BSO but I was given the option. My doctor said that this is actually the preferred way of doing it anymore. I know that it was great and they were able to put pain meds right into the spinal which lasted for 24 hours after surgery. I went home the next day. I had pain and soreness but nothing that wasn't manageable.

Good luck and please keep up updated.
Unread 05-07-2005, 07:25 AM

See if they can give you versed before you have this done. It is an amnesiac drug. The anesthesiologist put in in my IV while I was still in the changing room. He told me if would relax me, but that they weren't going to put me out until after I was in the OR and properly situated for the surgery. I remember NOTHING from that point on. Not being wheeled down the hall, moving to the OR table, intubation, nothing. That way, even if you're awake for the tube insertion, you are blissfully unaware of it later.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register