strange question... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

strange question... strange question...

Unread 05-07-2005, 12:15 AM
strange question...

I am wondering if it is true that you can still get pregnant (ectopic or otherwise) after a hysterectomy where just the uterus and cervix is removed. I have been doing some research and have come across this and not sure whether to believe it. I could ask my doctor but it is impossible to get in to see him. I kind of assumed having a hysterectomy made this impossible. I don't want to be worrying about these things after my surgery.

When I heard this it just blew me away and thought I would see if anyone else had come across such information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2005, 12:56 AM
strange question...

I thought it was impossible as where the cervix is removed the area is 'sealed' co no sperm could get beyond that to find an egg!

I will watch this thread with interest to see if that is right!!

I thought after my hyst it would be no contraception so I guess it must be safe!
Unread 05-07-2005, 01:06 AM
strange question...

I have heard of this happening, but it is EXTREMELY and I mean EXTREMELY EXTREMELY rare.

if your cervix is removed, then you are sewn up and the sperm cannot get into the abdominal cavity.

If you keep your cervice, often it is cauterized to prevent mini-periods, so nothing will get through.
If the cervix isn't cauterized, there is no "container" on the other side, just stitching to close off the area where your uterus was.

In a non-hyst situation it is a challenge for sperm to reach the egg... when there is no uterus it is practically impossible.

Personally, it isn't something I'd spend time worrying about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2005, 06:39 AM
strange question...

My consultant told me there was still a possibility to become pregnant even after a hyst. He said for him it was theory because he had never heard of an actual case where that happened.

choccie
Unread 05-07-2005, 08:26 AM
strange question...

This all struck me as odd because I too thought there would be no need for birth control after a hysterectomy. I would have assumed that if the pathway for sperm and egg to meet is disrupted a pregnancy would be impossible. Anyways, I guess this is something for me to ask about in one of my post-op visits.

Thanks for your replies!
Unread 05-07-2005, 09:24 AM
strange question...

There is a thread about it happening to one of the sisters in"In search of support". Scary Stuff!!!
Unread 05-07-2005, 09:31 AM
strange question...

You can read the post yourself, but one of the things the member wrote at the end of it is.....

Quote:
When I was able to sit at my PC for a while I started to research and found that there had only been 12 reported cases world wide who this has happened to.....leave it to me to be lucky 13 !! lol

If you think about how many hysterectomies are done each month (and even if you ONLY regard members on this site, I've seen months where there were 800 and more!) , and if you consider how long hysterectomies have been taking place in medical history ..... ---- then that gives you a very clear idea of how extremely rare this is.
Unread 05-07-2005, 10:44 AM
strange question...

It's so extremely rare as to not be something to be concerned with.

However, it's important if you have anything that you think is amiss during your recovery or years later to talk to your doctor right away. An ectopic pregancy can be dangerous, just as some other problems that can cause similar symptoms like an abcess, ovarian cancer or hemorrhagic cyst.

However, if you're not in a monogamous relationship with someone who is also monogamous, you still need to be concerned about disease transmission.

In the US alone 600,000 hysterectomies are performed each year with about 400,000 of those keeping their ovaries. So there are literally tens of millions of women out there and there have been only a dozen or so cases.

Sperm are very small and it's possible they can fit through some of the gaps in the vaginal cuff or out of the cervical pouch, but they lack the path to get to the tubes where fertilization takes place. It's an extraordinary sperm that can find his way there without a uterus as a highway.

There's are few things that are impossible, but this is pretty darn close.

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register