Home & Feeling depressed with crying jags ( 1st day home) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home & Feeling depressed with crying jags ( 1st day home) Home & Feeling depressed with crying jags ( 1st day home)

Unread 05-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Home & Feeling depressed with crying jags ( 1st day home)

Hi Girls,

Today is my first day home from the castle and I keep having little crying episodes. I try to hide them as I feel silly and don't understand why I'm having them.

It could be partially because I miss my two beautiful children who are staying at there grandparents for a few days while I heal.

My visit to the castle started on May4th. Everything routine. Remember walking into operating room and getting up on the table myself, got all hooked up, then a big mask kind of like an airplane pilots mask was put on my face and that was it........

Remember waking up very briefly in recovery and the next miniute I'm in my room with DM & DH. How did I get there.....

Pain was about an 8-9. They had me on the Moraphine Pump with Gravol. Gyn came in and said everything went well but that my uterus was set up really high so her and two asst. doctors worked hard to get it out. I had the baldder hitch, some front repairs but extensive back repairs.

First night slept well until approx. 8am when all hell broke loose. The vomiting started. They tried everything to get it under control but no luck. First bile, then green, then milky colour. Doctor says I was vomiting right down below my stomach. The last time I vomitted was while trying to have a pee on the toilet. I went back to bed and within minutes started to hemmorage. Doctor on call came to my room and performed an emergeny mini-surgery right there on my bed. I had popped stitches on a blood vessel which was bleeding uncontrollably. I remember looking at my feet & hands and they were all yellow. This proceedure was the most excrutiating, painfull thing you could ever imagine. Approx. 10-15 minutes later once the speculum was out and the stitches were re-done, it was over.

That night, no more pain pump ( made me violently ill). I just had demeral shots in the bum and blood tests to keep checking my hemoglobin.

The next day being today (Sat) was better. Only problem is I can't seem to pee out the whole bladder

They sent home (2) tylenol 3's and told me to take advil or extra strength tylenol

Going to bed now, the nurses and staff were great just too bad I expereinced vomitting.

Wondering if ovaries are messed up as I keep getting crying jags and hot flashes.

Bye for nowl,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2005, 08:30 PM

sorry you had such a horrible time of it - bet you are glad to be home.

I too have the "crying episodes" for what seems to be no reason at all. I had ovaries taken as well so you can't blame the ovaries for the crying and I can't blame the lack of them. MAybe it's our name?? I too feel like an idiot when I am crying cuz there is no explanation for it. At least we're not alone.

Rest up and good luck in your recovery.
Lisa
Unread 05-07-2005, 08:37 PM

Lisa,
I am soooo sorry to hear how crazy things have been for you. I don't know about your ovaries being messed up, but I would probably be crying too if I had gone through all you have. You have been away from your kids and you want to be with them so I would imagine that has a lot to do with all the tears. Maybe your kids can come visit with you a bit since you are home now, but you aren't going to feel like taking care of them for quite some time. I think a good visit with your children and several nights of good sleep will do wonders for you. You never really get rested up in the hospital. Keep us posted about your recovery.
Blessings to you,
Kelli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2005, 08:47 PM

Oh sweetie that sounds terrible.
If I were you I'd be crying buckets and apologizing to no one!

Get it out of your system, talk all you need to.
If you are in pain you call your doctor for better pain control.
Even though the vaginal hysterectomy are easier I haven't heard of anyone getting by on 2 tylenol 3. That sounds strange.
Are you sure you aren't in pain.Sometimes pain can be hard to register if you are shocky from the surgery.
I hope someone kind is taking good care of you,
stay in touch
Unread 05-07-2005, 09:52 PM

I started with the crying jags 12 days post-op. I think for me it had to do with lack of hormones because my Dr. said to start taking the Estratest as soon as I felt any symptoms,which I did. and a day later I was like my old self. That's enough evidence for me.I would rather put my energy in the physical healing and not the emotional stuff.
Unread 05-08-2005, 08:42 AM

Without going into a lot of detail, 4 months before my surgery, I went through some traumatic experiences and ended up on Lexapro (antidepressants) and in therapy. The therapist and my physician both agreed to put off the surgery until I got things together a bit. Then they wanted me to stay on the antidpressants until I returned to work because post op depression can be very common. He also told me that some woman have reactions to anesthesia that include severe mood swings, depression and crying bouts.

I don't know if this helps you or not, but it might help to know it's normal and a can be a reaction to the anesthesia. When I talked to my GYN about it, he kind of blew me off, but the pyshciatrist and internist I was seeing both told me about this and encouraged me to stay on the meds a little longer. I wanted to be off them because I'm feeling better and they have side effects I don't like.

Hang in there........

Lisa
Unread 05-08-2005, 10:00 AM

Bless your heart! I'm so sorry that all of that happened to you!
I have been having little crying episodes here and there too. But what you went through is reason to cry. That's a pretty traumatic thing to have happen.
But since my surgery 3 1/2 weeks ago, the tiniest things make me start boo-hoo'ing. I have read posts from a lot of ladies here that are having the crying episodes and the hot flashes (myself included). Any time I have posted about it, someone has replied and assured me that it will go away over time.
Just hang in there, hun. And (((HUGS))) for what you had to go through.
Unread 05-08-2005, 10:23 AM

Lisa,

I am so sorry to hear about the vomiting and the 'emergency fix'. But it's all behind you now - RIGHT? It can only get better from here on (just keep telling yourself that)

When I first came home I went thru the crying jags and mood swings (according to DH) -- but things have leveled off. I am calmer and thinking clearly - won't claim sane because I never did (LOL) - and craving chocolate (6 boxes of sugar free chocolate pudding later and I still want more chocolate)...

Go ahead and cry - and I'm sending you a
Unread 05-08-2005, 06:11 PM

Lisa,
firstly,
I never used one tylenol 3 in my recovery. I took extra strength tylenol every 6 hours and advil 2 tablets every 6 hours. You can take both the advil and the tylenol at the same time. Tylenol works to "block" the pain and advil helps with swelling and muscle discomfort.
Drink plenty of fluids.
The tears, I think is partially an emotional "release". A "thank goodness it is done" response. I had a few hot flashes for 2 days upon coming home, and I cried easliy for about the first week, but doing so much better now. (2.5 weeks out)
Hang in there Lisa. Hugs to you
Unread 05-08-2005, 06:56 PM

Hi Ladies..I've also had a few crying episodes. I think Mother's Day triggered mine (I don't have any children). In addition to the physical pain of the whole experience, this is a very emotional surgery...but we have to just take it one day at a time and decide that our quality of life will be better than that before we had the surgery.

my 2 cents

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register